Terrible Hosts

Akhona0
Level 1
Gauteng, South Africa

Terrible Hosts

Hi There

I am saddened to share my terrible experience with the air BnB hosts. I have never ever in my intire life of travelling experirnce such terrible people. I made a booking from AIRBNB and their system allowed me to book, pay and everything. my greatest unpleasant surprise was to find out that the first host has no house available for me and my family, 

Secondly, they were so rude askingh me how cann I pay without calling them first???? I am like how, Airbnb does not reveal contact details until you have made the payment. I had sent a me4ssage to the hosts but with no answer over 48 hours?????

I had to spend a lotof mnoney to call AirBNB and also to receive calls from Airbnb as I was already out of my country. 

Using Airbnb almost spoilt my family's vacation. 

Airbnb really has to relook at the way of managing and administering bookings. just like how Booking.com does it. Your model of business is fustratinhg and painful in so many ways.

8 Replies 8
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Akhona0

sorry it happend to you and you are right - it shouldn't. This host obviously had instant booking option enabled and didn't even know .

I would never book without contacting my host first through the "contact host" link, but most guests do...

The next time when you will need Airbnb CS help you can contact them through the website https://www.airbnb.com/help/contact_us  or using twitter @ airbnbhelp  so you don't spend money on phonecalls.

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Akhona0: Rule #1 when booking (at least for me). Book only with Superhosts.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Akhona0, oh dear, what a terrible situation! Can I ask why you haven't reviewed them? You should definitely do this to warn other guests. You're right that Airbnb should delist this host.

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Akhona0,

Commonly hosts will react within 1 hour, when a booking is made (unless a booking comes in during nighttime of the host).

When they don’t, let’s call it a yellow flag.

When they don’t react within 24 hours, I would call it a real red flag!

Hosts are being monitored on their reaction speed, you see.

It is also visible in their profile.

When the host still did not react, after 24 hours.

You can cancel, completely free of charge (Unless it is a Property Manager, with 1 of the very strict cancellation policies).

But from what you stated here. The chance of your host, being a property manager – is very low.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Akhona0   So sorry this happened to you. If you ever want to book an Airbnb again (which it sounds like you'd be understandably leery to do) you can contact the host through the messaging system first- don't use Instant Book, just send an Inquiry to the host, which doesn't obligate you in any way, nor will you be charged. If the host doesn't respond in a timely fashion, or if their reply sends up red flags for you, look for another listing.

I had a terrible experience as well. The Host misrepresented the accommodation and ruined the family holiday. We could not move as all accommodation (outside of AirBnB) was booked and were therefore stuck with the accommodation. We have video and pictures to confirm our bone fides but AirBnB does not wish to assist us and still list the accommodation which is confusing. For example the following was advertised (or was expected as a basic) but did not exist at the accommodation (and for due process I contacted AirBnb immediately upon arrival to report this):-

1. The pool;
  2. 4 beds (only 2 existed);
  3. Gas;
  4. Ability to have proper ventilation;
  5. No external lighting;
  6. The internal lighting was flashing to such an extent we had to use torches;
  7. Rotting floors;
  8. Broken bathroom;
  9. The hot water did not work properly;
  10. The table was broken; and the
  11. Children’s bed collapsed.

And many more faults

We were going to book with AirBnb again for our family holiday but cannot trust them based on the lack of assistance and beneficial response. I would suggest that all readers exercise caution.

also would agree to book with only superhosts and thouroughly check reviews, pictures and ask questions

Taro14
Level 1
Adelaide, Australia

I have had the most terrifying and shocking time staying with a host who clearly is a scammer. I was accused of several things which didn't even occur and sadly I was kicked out on the third night of my stay for no apparent reason.

I have also had his "co host" which is also known to be the "property manager" allow herself into the property when my friends and I weren't there. She had helped herself go through our belongings and falsely accused us of having drugs in our bag. 

The host then called me when I was actually on my way back to the property and started to threaten me with his mates who are supposedly from a motorcycle gang and told me I have f**ked with the wrong person. 

He told me to go back to the property & wait with the so called "co host" for his boys to get to the property which he informed me that there was going to be trouble and I was at risk of having my life put in danger. After I had asked him are you threatening me, his words were "no im not but if you have f**ked with my property and had drugs there, your held responsible". He changed his tune and said "go back to the property pack your belongings, get the f**k out of there and im sending your information to the police. 

So in fear of not knowing whether if my friends and I were going to be hurt or not we had gone back to the property, done what was best for us and that was to get our belongings and get out of there. Unfortunately one of the friends who weren't with us at the time couldn't collect her belongings which we couldn't take is now fighting to be able to collect her belongings and he ain't giving it back. He keeps threatening her and myself with pathetic messages and tells us he is having us charged of a whole heap of stuff which we aint responsible for. 

Not to mention this guy has luggage of the last guest who stayed at his property so I could only imagine what his done to them. I believe him, his co-host and his "neighbour" are all in the act together.

When checking in the day of arrival he wasn't the one who had met me, it was his neighbour who had the "spare key" as he "the host" was working away and couldnt be there. When I spoke to him on the phone his story didnt sound right and I had this feeling deep down it wasn't legit. He even dropped the price of the stay to the amount of money that I had on me, so to me that was showing some kind of desperate need to take any money he could possibly get his hands on because he knew in a few days time he was going to accuse the guest and have them out of there in no time and keeping their money. 

I have reported him to airbnb and they have filed a case but I haven't heard any words back from them in regards to my matter and its got me a little worried at what he may be dribbling to them to make my friends and I look like the bad people who have done wrong. I haven't even got a refund and its left me broke feeling as if I have now lost out on 927.00 AUD. 

What do I do to make sure that this is sorted asap and that the host is charged with the threats he has made? Can I get some advice?