Toiletries Solutions

Melanie58
Level 10
Boise, ID

Toiletries Solutions

I have only had four guests.  In the bathroom I just put some things I have around the house that people might need, like half used bottles of shampoo and whatnot.  I didn't have any half-used soap, so put a brand new bottle of soap that was about $8.  This is my fault really for putting out something like that.  I should have gone to the store and bought a bottle of Suave for $1.50, but I just was too lazy and honestly never anticipated anyone taking it.  Anyway, my last guest made off with the bottle of soap.  (To give you an idea, the room charge was $27 for four adults since I am just starting out and set prices low to get guests intially).  I'll chalk that up to a learning experience, but now that it has happened I wanted to ask what others do in regard to toiletries?

I would like to leave some toiletries because it is really nice when the hotel has what you need that you forgot, yet I suppose I could just tell guests to ask if they need something.

I thought about having a little sign posted on the mirror that kind of advertises the toiletries like a mini-bar or something - you're welcome to use these items here, if you would like to take with you there is a $5 charge per item?  Or in a more authoritarian version I guess I could charge a security deposit and let people know in the guest guide that they will be charged if they make off with anything.  Anyway, I thought that maybe sounds too fussy, and I don't really want to police or explain all that.  

I saw something where people provide single-use size items, but honestly I think that would cost me more than losing a bottle of soap every few guests.

Anyway, what are your thoughts and experiences?

37 Replies 37
James1
Level 10
SF, CA

For short term guests (a few days) I leave a large open pump bottle of Neutrogena body wash and shampoo and a dry and buffed USED soap. Tiny used soap bars I move to my bathroom. For guests staying a month or more they get a new bar of soap in a box and new bottles of shampoo and body wash.

This is what I settled on when I went to the store!  I got a bottle of body wash that is as big as a 2 liter pop bottle.  I know no one could reasonably confuse it with something they brought, and they would be unlikely to think it is a complimentary take home at that size.

I purchased travel size bath soap and other travel size items for our guests.   When I find tooth brushes, toothpaste, mouthwash and other such items on sale, I pick up extras just incase a guest needs an item.  There are fresh bars of soap are in each bathroom but the other items are available upon request. 

you can also check out www.bnbessence.com nice products for airbnb ))

Mike77
Level 10
Bend, OR

I make them bring their own stuff, I don't supply any of that stuff.  I am not a store.  I am not a hotel, I am not even a motel.

Not my job to supply all of the guest's needs.  They are adults, they can go to the store and buy what they need.

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

yes @Mike77, but you have a treehouse...

Chuckle.  You are absolutely correct.  🙂 

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

Marianna10
Level 3
Victoria, Canada

I have only been hosting for a short time - but I bought really nice expensive plastic bottles for soap with matching toothpaste container and drinking cup.  It is very obvious these are not to be taken - plus I fill the soap bottle with nice liquid soap bought at Winners and I top it up after each guest.  I also have a second bottle in the shower/tub area  - also a pretty plastic and do the same with body wash.  I   prefer not to give away samples or use bar soap which just ends up going to waste.  The reason for plastic is that should it be dropped it won't splinter like glass will and does.  As for toothpaste, shampoo etc.  I have a basket in the bathroom cupboard with travel size toothpaste, shampoo, razors and other sundries that a guest may have forgotten.  It has been my experience that most people travel with their own products that they prefer.  Hope that helps.

Soap dispensers affixed to the wall are the best solution you can get soap  shampoo and conditioner as 3 seperate units 

Betsy17
Level 2
Galveston, TX

I'm having the same conversation with myself as a new airbnb host (six under my belt now). I want to provide comfort and quality, but my last guest wasn't respectful. As I am shopping for replacement options, I find myself thinking cheap. and I don't want to offer cheap (vs inexpensive) stays. 

I've thought about the mini-bar model too, but I think requesting money after the stay would get pretty cumbersome, and, I am not sure the resolution center supports this. I've also thought about offering levels of packages i.e. basic package is Walmart but for x amount more you can get x brand linens, etc. 

If you have Dollar Tree where you are, it's a great place "disposables" of all types - everything is $1 - Suave, Yardley soap, shower curtain liners, kitchen stuff - I love Dollar Tree! 

BTW, I am also quickly raising my rates so that I can provide the standards I want to provide, and still make a profit.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience too 😞  I have raised my rates up to about $38 now, but it looks like the ceiling for my area is maybe $45-$50?  It's just a place to stop on your way from one place to the other, so kind of a "we'll leave the light on for you stop" - which I am fine with. I didn't know dollar tree did shower curtains!  I was just thinking the guest bath could use a new shower curtain liner.  I'm going to go check that out.

Alison55
Level 3
Mudgee, AU

I use a mid priced brand like Palmolive and provide shampoo, conditioner, body wash and hand cream that all match.

They are obviously not to be taken but occassionally someone will take them home. I stock up at the supermarket when these items are on special so the cost is lower. I also leave some individual soaps which I bought on-line.

Shanda1
Level 2
Springfield, MO

I use Large pump bottles in the shower with body wash & shampoo/conditioner. I always put a fresh bar of lever or dial soap in a dish by the sink along with a pump soap. I buy the bar soap in bulk at SAMs or Cosco it ends up about 50-75 cents/bar. I refill the pump soap. Nothing expensive - nothing gets taken.