Toiletries Solutions

Melanie58
Level 10
Boise, ID

Toiletries Solutions

I have only had four guests.  In the bathroom I just put some things I have around the house that people might need, like half used bottles of shampoo and whatnot.  I didn't have any half-used soap, so put a brand new bottle of soap that was about $8.  This is my fault really for putting out something like that.  I should have gone to the store and bought a bottle of Suave for $1.50, but I just was too lazy and honestly never anticipated anyone taking it.  Anyway, my last guest made off with the bottle of soap.  (To give you an idea, the room charge was $27 for four adults since I am just starting out and set prices low to get guests intially).  I'll chalk that up to a learning experience, but now that it has happened I wanted to ask what others do in regard to toiletries?

I would like to leave some toiletries because it is really nice when the hotel has what you need that you forgot, yet I suppose I could just tell guests to ask if they need something.

I thought about having a little sign posted on the mirror that kind of advertises the toiletries like a mini-bar or something - you're welcome to use these items here, if you would like to take with you there is a $5 charge per item?  Or in a more authoritarian version I guess I could charge a security deposit and let people know in the guest guide that they will be charged if they make off with anything.  Anyway, I thought that maybe sounds too fussy, and I don't really want to police or explain all that.  

I saw something where people provide single-use size items, but honestly I think that would cost me more than losing a bottle of soap every few guests.

Anyway, what are your thoughts and experiences?

37 Replies 37
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

In my last place I used to make the tiny soaps. Didn't cost much, was immensely popular. Made a big batch twice a year of a few different kinds, could even make them with kids as a craft project. I didn't do the caustic kind, just Lux flakes, essential oils, a little colouring, olive oil and Sorbolene. That kind of thing. Roll into long rolls and slice with knife, let dry on stacked trays for a week or so. Decorate as you see fit.

Now I am not in favour of soaps as shower lotion makes less mess to clean the tiles from! I have a nice handpump dispenser, refill with handwash. Noone has ever taken anything. In the shower I use different midrange products. In the bath I have bath oil and a few different kinds of bath salts which I make. Very low cost, high appreciation. Salt, Epsom salt, essential oils, bicarb. Mix and put in container (I actually mix straight in the container and give it a good stir). Best budget bath salt you can get! Guests love it. I make three different ones.

That sounds so lovely!

First thing my cleaner said to me was, "no bar soap please". Liquid soap doesn't leave a layer of scum behind on the tiles and sink, and so requires less scrubbing to clean wet areas. Also I buy bulk size 1-2 litre (shampoo, conditioner, liquid soap...) and refill only half way each time - no one seems to want to souvenir a half full bottle!

Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

As ours is a B&B we provide what we would expect at any B&B: for our 2 ensuite shower rooms we provide soap for the sink in a dispenser and put mid-range shampoo, conditioner, and male and female shower lotion into the showers. Of course we also provide freshly-cleaned bath and hand towels.

If you don't mind me asking, how much does this usually cost you per a guest?

@Nathaniel3, Depends on which one of us you are asking! As for me, I would say it is not a lot but have never costed it properly. How much does one person use?

I also provide moisturiser, makeup remover, mosquito repellent, sunscreen. I might shop for 100 dollars and then not shop for ages, and I am booked every day usually. Overall I think it is a small cost for a big gain for the guest's overall comfort.

Sorry, not much help!

Hey Sandra,

Thank you so much for the quick reply. Completely understand that when shopping in bulk, you most likely wouldn't get an exact cost per a guest. Would you have any estiamte how how many guests that initial $100 stretches? It sounds like you put a lot of time and care into making sure you're guests have a great stay, and that's wonderful to hear.

@Nathaniel3, I imagine it is similar to shopping for yourself, how long does it take to empty a bottle of bodywash for you? I suggest looking out for the shops when they run specials and buy ahead rather than paying full price just because you have run out.

The bathsalts that I make are very low cost compared to buying.

Providing things for guests is fun. But I have a warped sense of fun. Some guests will bring their own schampoo etc and use that, I know because I sometimes find empties in the recycling so that will save a little on wear. Basically, there is a cost to running a business and no matter how much schampoo, teabags and firewood they will use I am still making money.

And: best of all, it is a tax deduction.

Hi Nathaniel! Good day! My husband and I are hosts too
here in Clearwater. We are going to start selling
Toiletries Set (soap, shampoo, conditioner and
lotion) for only $2.50 per set starting next week. We
know how important it is to us hosts to provide at
least these basic needs to our guests without
spending too much that is why we decided to start
this venture and we hope to get support from our
fellow hosts. If you are interested, we can send you
a FREE sample set at no cost. I hope to hear from
you. I appreciate your time! Thank you so much. 😉

Karim10
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

i started using toiletries like travel size shampoo, lotion and SOAP and my guests really appreciate it, it's always better than leaving half empty bottles for them to share or using dispoensers that often brake...

it's true that there is always an issue buying these items as most vendors request minimum quantities etc, but i found an online store that sells very nice amenities for low cost and quantitie, and  they are also  airbnb hosts ..

[link removed]

HankBubbie0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

melanie... you could buy small, individual sets of toiletries for guests!

may we suggest these great ones?! ; - )

BnbGoodies

Etsy

[Link removed]

Aaron112
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

I found this recently and put out the small bottle and refill it from the gallon bottle wIen i clean.  https://airbnbhostshop.com/collections/best-bathroom-toiletry-kits-for-short-term-rentals/products/h...

Also I find if go to low price I start to get a crowd of people that do dumb things like steal hand soap.  So i stopped going below it, not worth the hassel. for my area it was 54 bucks I amit'sre its different depending where you are.

@Aaron112 , sorry, but this is just not cool: you resurrected a bunch of old posts, not just this one, and everywhere you are promoting this shop. It is not sanctioned by Airbnb, but is an outside private enterprise. Yours?

@Annette33  I am so sorry about that. I just found out that these forums exist and I got a little over excited and didn;t look at dates. Sorry about that.

@Aaron112, you should know that posting links to commercial enterprises is against Airbnb policies.