Top 5 "Red Flags"

Paige73
Level 6
Lansdowne, PA

Top 5 "Red Flags"

Hey fellow hosts!

I'm a fairly new host and would love to know what your "red flags" are for potentially problematic guests. 

I've seen and implemented some really useful ones here on CC (asking for discount, asking for extra, wanting preview, etc). I would like to here your thoughts on others.

33 Replies 33

@Mel101 I'm immune to sob stories already! Read The Psychopath Next Door by Martha Stout. The whole book basically boils down to "be careful with anyone who thinks they can sweet talk you into something or if your first contact with someone involves you feeling sorry for them". If you feel guilty about it, donate money to a homeless shelter or something. 

Your other point has worried me though. So many people say you can be knocked down in the search results for declining too many guests. And that automated message kind of implies they'll kick you off the platform! I do this for pin money and to hear the pitter patter of little feet around my big old empty house, so am willing to take the risk, but still! Seems like Airbnb pressures us to accept guests we may not feel comfortable with! 

Christina0
Level 5
Nevada, United States

Welcome Paige. Here are a few I have run into:

1. Guests who don't have a profile photo of their face.

2. Guests who want a discount.

3. Guests who are booking your place for an odd reason. Case in point, our cottage is best for people who are traveling through the area, young couples on a budget, and single travelers. I got a reservation from a man surprising his wife for their wedding anniversary. She was not happy and I had to refund them. I don't think he fully read the description or knew his wife.

4. Guests who don't introduce themselves or are cagey about personal questions. You don't have to ask for their social security number, but I like to know a little more about their visit and if I can help them.

@Christina0 Great list! Although some muslim women don't like having pictures of themselves on public platforms, so you'll get pictures of flowers or something instead. My facebook page looks like a gardening enthusiast website! 

@Christina0Good call! The guy who books a romantic getaway for his wife at a completely unsuitable place! It's funny that that's an actual category of guest, but it totally is!

@Alexandra316 and Christina,

My guess? His romantic gesture was a last ditch effort and was a little too late! Poor guy!

Andrew216
Level 5
Scotland, United Kingdom

Number 3 definately. I ask guests to confirm they have read the entire listing and my profile. That helps.

As I stated, I instant book so if there's no profile pic, I state to them that their booking will be cancelled without one, but then iimay be penalized! Host need more rights overall.

Kenneth-And-Lilia0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

My no-gos...

Guests who ask for a discount

Guests who ask for a late checkout ( I have a 4 hour window to flip the place and am pretty much booked solid)

LOCALS!  Do NOT host locals!

Guests with a litany of questions.  No, I don't have a rice cooker...no, I won't pick you up at the airport...no you can't bring your kids or pets

Guests who don't have a "real" name on their profile.  Pinocchio Fuzzypants is not a real name

@Kenneth-And-Lilia0 Why no locals? I've seen that mentioned before, but no idea why.

Locals can "move in" and then you need to go through an eviction process to get them out.  You can't change the locks, thats not legal.  Thats why you never want guest over 30 days too.  They can legally claim residence.  I made the mistake of letting one local stay and she violated the house rules by smoking and having a kid in the condo.  When I cleaned, she had food, spices...all sorts of stuff in the condo like she was gonna live there.  You want guests that have a reason to leave.  Locals have a tendency to be transients or people looking for ways to hide things like affairs or parties that they can't do at their own house.

@Kenneth-And-Lilia0 Huh! Good point! Don't want someone having housing issues. Can the police remove someone who's stayed past thier reservation? Aren't they basically trespassing at that point?

Kenneth-And-Lilia0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

I'd check with your local courthouse but most places, the police can't do anything without a cort order and that means eviction.  And that is expensive and takes a while...a couple months

Lyndsey2
Level 10
Stonington, CT

Anyone who asks for a discount. Other than that I can honestly say that some of the best guests I've had have shown all kinds of red flags. And the very worst? No red flags at all. At some point, it's much more about how you can learn to **bleep** common issues in the bud.

Hahahahaha, I can't believe it bleeped an IP with an N in front. Hey, Airbnb, it's not a dirty word!

Ha ha! I get bleeped all the time! It's a little embarrassing.  It makes it seem like you said something terrible!