Unable to collect payment

Stewart9
Level 2
San Jose, CA

Unable to collect payment

Hi Community,

I had a guest that stayed at my place who since left. I was able to get the first payment when the guest arrived. I extended the reservation to couple of more days after and the payment never went through. I called airbnb multiple times (more than 10 at least to date). They created a case and sent it to collection. It's been almost a month now since I didn't get my payment for the extra stay. Airbnb customer service is beyond poor. They give you the run around whenever you call them and promise to call you back and never did. If airbnb unable to collect from the guest, is it safe to assume my payment is as good as gone? Should airbnb pay you no matter what since all transactions go through them and they should protect you? At this point, I am frustrated at airbnb for not resolving this simple problem...I can't help but wonder if there is a bigger problem later on with the guest, I doubt that airbnb can rectify the situation any faster.

Any help will be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Stewart

18 Replies 18
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Stewart9  Just so I am clear in my understanding, you modified the reservation after the guest arrived, right?  If so, did you ever get confirmation that the guest accepted the modification?  Were you already paid by Air BNB when you submitted the modification?  One issue I have seen reported on this host forum is that guests will shut down the credit card on file after they check out (for various reasons) and Air BNB is not able to access the card.  

Yes. I modified the reservation after 2 days stay and got the acceptance on the first alteration. I modified the reservation again to extend some more days. The alterations were rejected by the guest couple of time because they wanted more discount. The final alteration did get acceptance from guest. So if Airbnb can't collect from the guest, is that mean I am out $223? I even email the guest through Airbnb and of course, there is no reply.

Is there anything I can do?

Wow, @Stewart9, you did everything right.  I think you may have been scammed by the guest.  

Mirna5
Level 1
Bosnia and Herzegovina

I can not add my pay pal on my accout .....i check with pay pal and they inform me that my accout is correct....but airbnb does not show me that kind of pay methodes....only wester union.....can you help me with this?

@Mirna5   Contact Air BNB staff.  This is a host forum and we do not have ability to help.  Look at the guide to help you with contact:

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Community-Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

It's extremely sad that airbnb does not protect you.  The funny thing is that I see the guest continue to book 2 more places through airbnb after my place.  If airbnb was quick enough to look into the matter, they can recharge the fee before the guest discontinue airbnb (I assume the guest has since disable airbnb).

It's a big lesson learn to re-confirm the payment immediately after you alter the reservation.  I wonder if airbnb is still liable for my missing payment because all payments handle by them regardless if the guest can't pay or not.  

@Stewart9  I must confess that I had not read the complete terms of service, but your situation prompted me to do so.  Here is a link to the terms:

https://www.airbnb.com/terms/payments_terms

You will see that Air BNB is not responsible to remit payment to you if unable to collect from the guest.

Thanks Linda.  The terms of service agreement is difficult to read.  It's meant for the lawyer.  So the bottom line is airbnb will stiff you anwyay they can.  You just have to watch out for your best interest.

@Stewart9  You are right about meant for lawyers, but I am guilty of not reading all the stuff in escrow documents, on line services, health insurance, home insurance...

Sandra290
Level 2
Banos, Ecuador

To Stewart -- When I have customers that want to stay an extra day or two, I'm right on top of it.  Since I have a check-out time of 11 a.m., I usually head over or send my manager over to check the house.  If they want additional time I immediately work with them to find out how they intend to pay for it.  I usually will help them work on the airbnb site to make the change.  The other option, if they cannot get on the site for whatever reason, I always have their deposit of $200 on hand.  This is used as a last resort and involves going through the resolution center.  To make this process easier from the start, have the customer send you a message through airbnb indicating their desire for additional time.  This makes it easier should they try and dispute the charges afterwards.  You have something in writing that airbnb resolutions can work with.  The deposit also helps with any damages you find at the house once the customer has left, e.g., missing towels, broken dishes, etc.  I recommend checking the premises ASAP once the customer departs.  Having a deposit in place when the customer makes the reservation has given us a lot of peace of mind should contentious or unwilling payers travel your way.

Hi Sandra,

I communicate with the guest via airbnb and the messages are all there.  The proof is there.  I forgot about the deposit.  There isn't any item broken so I can't use.  I wonder why airbnb didn't get my payment out of their deposit.  It is strange.  The deposit is a guarantee hold, right?  I report the issue to airbnb within a week when they left the place.  I think the issue might be just on airbnb side.  It is extremely sad....not very encouraging for any host to do business with airbnb at all.  

Stewart9
Level 2
San Jose, CA

I finally get the paymout from airbnb.  I am relieved and some what happy that it's finally settled (going on for a month).  From my last update, I figured that the pay out was as good as gone.  But now, I guess I have some faith in airbnb after all.  

@Stewart9  So what is your understanding of what caused the delay?  You now feel that Air BNB is not the problem, but what was the problem?  Many hosts trash Air BNB but it might help all of us to understand when it might be a glitch caused by something else.

I just got a payment notice from Airbnb today without any explanation through phone or email. I don't know if the guest finally paid or Airbnb paid from their pocket. The main frustration is more because of their customer service if anything else. Lesson learn for me is to double and triple check for payment every time I have a reservation alteration.