Uncomfortable about last minute reservation request

Uncomfortable about last minute reservation request

Good Mornining - Thank you for any ideas that you can give me.

We have a reservation request from a new user - They have never stayed anywhere with AIRBNB before - so no reviews.

They have not answered our communications and the reservation is for tonight.

The first issue is that AIRBNB penalizes us in ratings if we do not accept enough reservation requests.

The 2nd issue is that As a Gay Interracial couple - we ( regretably ) feel an extra need to properly communicate with guests to aviod unpleasentries with guests ( This has happened )

If anyone has any ideas on how to balance our needs with AIRBNB booking ratings etc., I would be very grateful.

Thank you in advance.

21 Replies 21
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Kenneth-And-Lilia0 I'm with you - yes, if ABB can't even reach guests and the info is incomplete. Have them cancel them. I always go with my Gut feeling as you.  And I think we have to trust that. good luck, Clara

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Kenneth-And-Lilia0, there is no way I would allow him in my home. Call ASAP and get the reservation cancelled. 

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

Hi T.J.  I'd highlight who you are as a part of being welcoming - love is love and you offer a safe space for people to stay. That is a positive worth highlighting.  I was worried about the possibility of hosting trump lovers (just can't) so I used up valuable word space showing what I do believe in- which has been an effective filter so far.  You kids & your Magic gatherings- all night pizza scarfing& stinky socks is what I most remember. XO Sally

Off Topic but could not let this slide - sorry all - political conversations and derisive comments about political parties are not allowed in the forums...

@Sally221 - you have probably hosted several Trump lovers and didn't even know it.  And look - you didn't turn to stone or salt or glitter or whatever you think was going to happen to you and your home should someone with a different political party affiliation sleep in your bed, wash in your sink, or poop in your toilet.  Sheesh!  BTW - this is called bias and can have you kicked off the platform - you cannot deny someone for this reason.  

In your listing you've posted: 

IN THIS HOUSE WE BELIEVE
BLACK LIVES MATTER, WOMEN'S RIGHTS ARE HUMAN RIGHTS
NO HUMAN IS ILLEGAL, SCIENCE IS REAL
LOVE IS LOVE & KINDNESS IS EVERYTHING!

Where oh where is your "kindness is everything" when it comes to people who think differently than you?! I certainly hope you read "The Best of Enemies" by Osha Gray Davidson where this true story of a black woman and a white KKK member through conflict in the 1960s forged a friendship and demostrated that cooperation is possible--even in the most divisive situations--when people begin to listen to one another.

/end off-topic. 

Again, my apologies.  

I doubt  I have hosted Trump supporters, republicans yes, but that is a different story entirely.  I don't believe there were fine folk on both sides of the violence in Charlotte,  looking the other way when bullying, terrorizing and chopping people up is going on is either cowardice or complicity not kindness. I'd give my house to the ACLU before I would host a member of theK.K.K.

@Thomas-James---TJ--0- You mentioned that you want to communicate with your guests in advance that you are a bi-racial, gay couple to avoid any misunderstandings.  In your photos you've alluded to this with the pictures of your certificates but I think you should just go ahead and post a picture of the two of you and use the term "we" instead of "I" in your listing description.  I'd also move up the sentences about Peter in your profile - maybe just above your notes about your Diversity and Race Committee note. You might find that you will appeal to a larger segment of clients who might be more careful when picking a host.  I would suspect that more single women and gay couples would feel comfortable staying with you if it were more obvious you were, well, a gay couple 🙂 Some women traveling alone won't stay with a single male host. I'd also suspect that black guests, who worry about being discriminated against on the platform, would feel more comfortable knowing there is a black host in the home too.  Use your diversity to your advantage and advertise it outright.  You can always go back to a more gender & race - neutral stance if you find that it doesn't work to your advantage.  Then your guests would know when they book about your relationship and race status and you wouldn't have to worry as much making sure they are aware after they've booked.  

Brigid8
Level 2
Concord, NH

We recently had a guest instant book and his message to us made us feel very uncomfortable about hosting him.  I called Airbnb help and they walked me through the process of cancelling the reservation without penalty to our superhost status.  The airbnb representative was quite helpful and assured us that even with instant booking on we do not have to accept anyone into our home we don't feel comfortable with.

The directly reached out to the guest.

Brigid