Unfair, inaccurate, scathing review left by host - advice required

Andrew777
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Unfair, inaccurate, scathing review left by host - advice required

Hello all,

A friend and I stayed in an apartment a short tram ride from Amsterdam Central over the weekend and had a great stay, with friendly interaction between myself and the host (e.g. the host checking in on both days that everything was ok, me recommending a couple of nice restaurants we visited in the area he recommended, etc). I did a good check of the house after a quick tidy up (we hardly made any mess) and a run of the dishwasher for any dishes we'd used, and we went on our way.

So I was absolutely stunned when last night, after receiving no prior warning that he was unhappy with my stay in any way, I received the kind of review one would generally reserve for guests from hell. The review read:

"Left the light on Left the heating on. Left a mess in the kitchen. Stains from whatever like everywhere. Didn't lock the balcony door. We could continue the list.. But we will stop here. Come on guys. This is our personal space."

I'm pretty hurt by this, and genuinely thought it was mistakenly left for me instead of another property of his (turned out he has just the one property). This is not a reflection of the state we left the apartment in, or the kind of guest I am:

- "Left the light on" - We did a sweep of the house to check things like lights, taps, etc. There is a wall light which turns on automatically when you enter the apartment - could he be referring to this?

- "Left the heating on" - We didn't even touch the heating. At check in, he touched the heating dial briefly and said "we probably won't need it anyway" and decided not to show us how to use it, so we just left it alone. The nights were pretty warm during our stay.

- "Left a mess in the kitchen" - This is false. We swept, and placed any mess from the kitchen/diner into the bin, and even dishwashed all cutlery, crockery, coffee cups and glasses. The only things we did leave (on the counter next to the bin) were 4 empty glass bottles and two empty plastic bottles as they didn't have a recylcling bin, and we were unsure of any recyling facilities in the area.

- "Stains from whatever like everywhere" - I don't even know what to say about this. Coffee cup stains? Bed stains? in the kitchen? in the bathroom? I don't remember leaving any obvious "stains" anywhere, but with this phrasing, the host has left this open to interpretation by anyone reading the review (who will likely assume the absolute worst)

- "Didn't lock the balcony door" - There wasn't an obvious lock on the balcony door, and if there was, then we weren't made aware of it when he showed us the balcony at the start - the balcony door was closed on our exit, and there wasn't a door handle on the outside (we propped the door open during use as we thought we'd be locked out if it closed while on the balcony) so thought at the time that closing it would be sufficient. The apartment was on the 8th floor

- "We could continue, but we will stop there" - why include this? was there actually more? because nothing (including any of the above) was mentioned in any private messages, or the private review (except the heating in the private review). I feel this was added simply to further disparage me

This sticks in the neck, given that I left the host a glowing public review with only positive things to say. I also praised him and his hospitality in the private review, while giving him feedback on the check-in time (the listing said flexible check-in, but in reality, we could only check in before 8am, or after 5pm due to work. We negotated between 5-6pm, but he eventually had us wait til 6.30pm. As our flight arrived at 11am, we worked around this by paying €20 for luggage lockers at the train station). I also suggested that he provide larger towels as he only provided hand towels for showering.

I'm extremely unhappy about this as having such a bad (and inaccurate) review at the top of my few reviews will make it difficult (and frustrating) for me to book future homes. I am always respectful of other people's homes and look to treat them as I would be own - I thought this was the case as usual in this instance, hence my complete surprise.

I'm actually a host/owner myself on a peer-to-peer/sharing economy rental platform for cars (my profile for reference) and I'm very aware of the effect a poor rating can have on a user, especially one with few reviews. I only leave sub 5-star reviews for serious problems, which to this date has only happened once, last week when a driver, who needed me to teach him how to put the (manual/stick) car in reverse and required me to exit from a parallel parked space for him, damaged my car during the rental when trying to park. And I only charge for cleaning if a driver leaves my car completely filthy beyond the work a standard car wash would clean, so it surprises me that my Airbnb host has complained about a few recyclable bottles left in the kitchen, while charging a £22 cleaning fee.

Anyway, apologies for the long post and thanks if you've made it this far. Can you please assist me with some advice? I haven't contacted airbnb, the host, or left a response yet as I was exceptionally displeased and in a state of astonishment upon reading the review last night and didn't want to make the situation worse. Is there a possibility that Airbnb can do anything about this borderline defamatory review? Should I respond to the review? Is it worth me seeking an explanation from the host? Do I need to just accept the terrible review, and the rental difficulties that will follow?

Many thanks in advance for any of your responses,
Andy

15 Replies 15

Andrew

Wow, what an interesting post.We often hear on the forum of hosts receiving inaccurate reviews from guests but it is not that often we have a guest come and posts about an inaccurate review from a host. 

It is indeed extremely frustrating to receive such "inaccurate" reviews  but it is very difficult to get these things changed as it often becomes a host word against a guest word and vice versa.Airbnb with regards to hosts, tells us that the reviews are computer generated and cannot be changed.

There are hundreds of posts here in the forum from hosts receiving inacurate guest reviews.

You are generally encouraged to contact the host and ask for their comment first and find out if they have indeed made a mistake or if they are willing to admit that the review was inaccurate. If between you both,you cannot find a resolution, then you can open up a case with Airbnb through the Resolution Center. You can  add a link to this Community post in your Resolution text  or copy and paste the text.

You have nothing to lose by taking up a complaint case.

Use the Resolution center and see how far you get.

Tips: be polite, patient and calm if you speak to anyone in Customer Support. They tend to go against you if you lose your cool or start shouting ( not that I am suggesting that you will). Have all the information at hand and engage with the Support person first in order to get them to listen and engage in your story.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/The-Resolution-Center-A-Community-Help-Guide-Request-or-...

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center

Once you have messaged the host they have 72 hours in which to start the dialogue with you and seek a resolution, before you can then go on to the Resolution Center process. 

Ensure you keep all your communication with the host within the Airbnb messaging system.  

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide-UPDATED/td-p/413245

Andrew777
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thank you very much  for your detailed response, and for the helpful links. So it seems like the first step would be for to me to try and get a response from the host. Then use the resolution centre if nothing comes from contacting the host. Then perhaps if nothing positive comes from that,  I suppose it would be worth me replying to the review - would you agree?

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Anonymous 

I it always unpleasant to recieve a negative review, especially when is is not expected anyway.

Offcourse you can comment on it in public to present your opinion about the accusations.

From a Dutch point of view i can only say:

- It is very hot weather in Holland for allready some time, and there is absolutely no reason to have any heating on.

- it is not uncommon guest leave (cleaned) plastic bottles and glass, especially if not clear where the recycling bin is (allthough glass can be taken also to recycling bins near supermarkets etc..). If you put them in normal garbage bin, the host can even get fined, as in The Netherlands recycling is serious business.

- 'We could continue, but we will stop there" is an unacceptable phrase. I would inform Airbnb about this and also would like to know "what more there is" anyway.

This review does not match with other reviews in your profile, as you allready wondered: is it about me ?

Hope this helps,

Emiel

Andrew777
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for your points of view.  I'm baffled by the heating situation as we absolutely didn't want any extra heat in that apartment because as you say, the weather was hot.

It's pretty normal to separate recycling waste here in the UK, and it's nice to hear that recycling is taken very seriously in the Netherlands. If you can actually get fined for not separating recycling from regular waste, then I'm amazed that recycling wasn't mentioned at check-in, or in the itinerary, given the host would surely be receiving international guests who may not habitually recycle.

I found "We could continue, but we will stop there" particularly harsh and you're right - it did leave me wondering if it was personal. It will definitely be brought up.

You only have a very short time period to answer his review so I think you need to do it sooner, rather than later..as it is important you do. At this stage just say how much you enjoyed staying at the apartment but find the review posted does not represent an accurate representation of the condition in which you left the apartment. Add maybe the heating point as an example and suggest that you intend to discuss further with the host and take up the matter with Airbnb. Add that you find the phrase  "We could continue, but we will stop there" particularly insulting and inaccurate and you havent received any clarity from the host as to what other issues he is talking about. Come across as polite and friendly, rather than angry. Add maybe that you have used Airbnb on "x" number of other occasions as a guest and never had an issue before. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

as a host, the kiss of death for me wouldn't be this review, but your response to it. If you are defensive, argumentative or otherwise ugly about this review, THAT would be the reason I wouldn't want to host you.

So, sure, start with seeing if CS will remove, but after that I'd suggest " Dear xxx, we really enjoyed staying in your space and were quite diligent to take care of the space, I'm very sorry that our efforts disappointed you as this was not our intention. Thank you again for having us, we certainly enjoyed your lovely home & city."

I wouldn't answer him back point for point but just let your answer show that you are considerate and kind. I've also seen responses that say something like "are you sure this was about my stay and not another guest?  This doesn't seem at all like our stay as we really treasured our short visit in your home."

Come back and let us know what happens please

@Anonymous

Appreciate the suggestions. I agree that being considerate and kind is the way to go, and it's interesting to hear your (and hopefully other hosts') perspectives on the kind of response that would make you decide whether or not to host a guest. I'll certainly let you know what happens. 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Honesty works well.

"I 'm concerned host mixed us up with some other guest. We left the apartment better than we found it. Our interactions with host were good, so something got crossed up." 

Andrew777
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for your input Paul - I'll certainly consider your advice along with the previous posters 🙂

Joy67
Level 3
New York, United States

Andrew, this is a twist of circumstance, usually it is the host with complaints. However, it was courageous of you to post and therefore worthy of comments. I do agree with many of the comments already posted. You should reach out to the host using Airbnb forum. There is no guarantee he will respond but if he does he may realize his mistake.  I hope all goes well for you. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

This must really hurt but keep in mind that there are so many hosts that have instant book that your rating as a guest does not matter as much as it once did. I would go with  ‘s response. You may even add that you did not even know how to use the heat and it was hot weather 

that was  Paul's response- I guess tagging is still an issue

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Thank you @Anonymous for coming forward into this forum with your issue.

I‘m inclined to believe there has been a mix up of guests reviews somewhere along the line.

The fact that you have taken the time to seek assistance through the Community Centre, rather then straight to Airbnb shows a balanced & mature disposition.

The advise from all the previous hosts should be seriously considered, as this particular group of people are all experienced hosts. (@Inna, @Paul0@Mike0, and @Joy0)

The review, hosts view point is very emotive, and not particularly professional. 

However, if the resolution centre  and Airbnb in general aren’t helpful, how you respond will be very important. Public responses won’t disappear: so respond in  a friendly manner, stay fair minded and keep your cool. No narkiness or negativity, as that will give suspicion to there being something in his accusations. 

Go through Airbnb. Try to contact the host to see if he made a mistake. But don’t lose heart.

🙂

Cathie

Amy19
Level 2
Conestogo, Canada

Whether I'm hosting or being hosted, I'm always stressed out for 24 hours worried about receiving an unfair review.  We pride ourselves in hosting.  We do everything we can to ensure a renter's comfort and enjoyable experience.  But people are unpredictable.  For the most part, our 50 or so reviews across 2 properties have been accurate (we average 5 in total satisfaction and no less than 4.8 in any one category).  However, the thing I noticed is that the only time we ever got a less than perfect rating is when the renter themselves weren't great guests.  And while we generally take the high road on ratings unless something really bad has happened, I can't help but wonder if the "bad" guests give you poor rating as a "premptive strike".  In your case it would be the opposite...you were the guest.  But I wonder if he didn't think he was going to receive a bad review from you (based on the couple things you mentioned going wrong) so he proactively gave you a bad review to try to cast doubt on your credibility as a guest.  This is a crappy and extremely unfair tactic.  My only advice to you is that when you go to book another property you mention the bad review and be perfectly honest with them.  That you are not like that at all, and that you will ensure their property is treated respectfully.  I know as a host that would go a long way with me.   Best of luck to you.