Very dissapointed with Airbnb's refusal to pay for guest damages.

Great-Vacation-Retreats0
Level 1
Hawaii, United States

Very dissapointed with Airbnb's refusal to pay for guest damages.

Aloha,

We recently had a guest stay with us and their son got very sick and they kept asking us for replacement sheets because he was unable to make it to the bathroom. (lots of fecal matter - I won't make this any more 'icky' than it is). We do NOT put Blood or fecal matter or anything like that in our washing machines and had to replace two full sets of sheets and bed covers. The guest was very mad at us for suggesting that she pay to replace these because of her son being sick. We went to Airbnb....supposed to have great customer service and Host guarantee for a payment of $118 to replace these items and were denied. We called to find out why and were told there is no one working that can help us and they stand by their teams decision. NO ONE that we can talk to on the phone? Send an email was the answer. Well, we have done that and aren't getting anywhere. They told us on the phone that we should have washed the sheets and reused them. I don't know about any of you, but, would you really want to put someone else's soiled sheets in YOUR washer and then sleep on them after? I don't think so. Airbnb - we are VERY dissappointed with you today. 

10 Replies 10
Teri8
Level 1
Oaxaca, Mexico

I would wash them on very hot and use them.  What do you think happens with hotel sheets?  

Lyndsey2
Level 10
Stonington, CT

Fecal matter is a whole other ballgame. I would have thrown them out too.

Karen194
Level 1
Nantucket, MA

Hydrogen peroxide takes blood out of sheets.   Very surprised AirBNB would comp the sheets.  I'd have thrown them out too. 

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

Yes, it's a bit icky, but it's part of the territory if you host.    

I can understand why the guest is a bit bemused by your request for replacement.  There's absolutely no reason why the sheets can't go in your washing machine. Just wash them as you would a cloth diaper - eg pre-rinse in lots of COLD water and then a long wash in ordinary detergent at up to 60c.  If you have a front loading machine, make sure you select a cycle with extra water as dilution is definitely the solution when dealing with poo.   You can use a sanitising soaker like Napisan or Canestan or any of the plethora of products designed for just this purpose if it makes you feel better, but they're bad for the environment and not necessary.    If the poo leaves a yellow stain, then it's just a stain removal problem and again, there are a number of methods for treating it.

Regardless, the Host Guarantee isn't designed to cover these type of incidents.  If you really can't use the sheets again, then it's a matter for a claim against the guest's Security Deposit.

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

I feel quite badly for you, and yes, I would have expected Airbnb to comp you some on the damage. I am with you about just tossing those sheets...the next guest would have complained about those weird stains on them. But as it is, looks like you are on your own, sorry. Perhaps you can raise your price just a bit, to allow for such things to happen and then just take care of them?
Seems to me that Airbnb is getting bigger and bigger, and not adjusting to it with decent customer service and support for us hosts. 

David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

I recently stayed at an airbnb in cebu. Durning the night I had a nose bleed that went through to the mattress. I cleaned it up fully but it made me realise that these things just happen through no fault of anybody. In your case I would have just washed the sheets (actually our Maid does that). If they were still stained afterwards I would throw them out. Part of doing business.

Lisa40
Level 6
Edgewood, WA

Do you require a security deposit? If so, Airbnb can easily get the money from the guest. If you don't ask for a deposit, then the guest can dispute the charge.
When you first asked for a resolution, they should have given you an email address of the agent associated with your case. That is the best way to communicate. They usually decide within 72 hours.

Not true. I am in the middle of hoop jumping hell with Airbnb "case managers" over damages done to my home, 12 extra people in home, burned counter tops with hot grill pans on 3 inch wood countertops, Air not accepting "word" documents from carpenter, we had a damage deposit of $500, and have documented, photographed and emailed with case manager as the guest ignored all requests...as bad guests will. I've received NOTHING. Just a bunch of BS emails about how "we need a verifiable estimate" and Air only wants to sand the counters where the burns are, not the entire counter top...resulting in "clean spots" and low spots I guess? 

The damage deposit is only good if the guest pays. Air will do nothing. It even says in TOS that they won't disperse funds. 

I'm glad they didn't burn the place down as that "million dollar" guarantee is worthless as is the deposit. HOsts BEWARE, you're exposed here. Big time. 

Eileen4
Level 10
Champlain, Canada

I would have tossed the sheets too. You don't know why this family's son was sick, so I would play it safe. 

I would have made a claim against the damage deposit (don't know if that's what you did for compensation). Yeah, **bleep** happens, (sorry, couldn't resist), but good sheets are expensive. I buy high quality ones and I would have been really annoyed. 

The thing is, we're small business people, not big hotel chains. I don't think we can be expected to pay out of pocket in the same way given we don't enjoy the same economies of scale. That's something I wish more guests understood. Staying in an Airbnb place is often a lot cheaper than staying at an expensive hotel, especially for a family. Part of the risk guests take is when they damage property, even inadvertently. They shouldn't expect us to absorb costs in the same way. 

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

What I like about Airbnb Host you lean a lot if a child is sick I would have extra sheets and make sure the child is safe is nothing like child love forget the sheets and beds it could be replace things happen in my case I make sure every thing is fine with the child with the things that is happing around us with crazy storm in the world sheets is the leas to think about