WARNING- Airbnb does NOT protect you!!!

Estee0
Level 2
New York, United States

WARNING- Airbnb does NOT protect you!!!

I’ve been a super host for years, with almost a hundred 5* reviews. I take pride in my home and have always gone above and beyond for my houseguests. 

I have always bragged to others how Airbnb is amazing and stands behind their product, anytime I had something that was damaged it was resolved quickly. 

Unfortunately this past Saturday I received notification of a houseguest putting a hole the size of a baseball in my relatively new bathtub. 

Sunday morning I open a resolution case. These are the facts-

Airbnb tells me I am covered under their policy although the houseguests security deposit is not large enough to cover the damages. Initially they ask for 2 things, receipt of bathtub and a contractors estimate. 

I got them both. They were fine with the bathtub receipt (how could they argue that one?) but then came up with all these insane stipulations that no contractor has even heard of.  Apparently with these sorts of claims they ONLY correspond via email. You CANNOT call. They have given me until the 21st to come up with the information yet they have completely ignored my questions to please explain what they are asking me for. They have given me only 5 days yet they don’t respond to anything until 24 hours later via email.  They have been requesting rediculous things such as an hourly quote!! What contractor works by the hour??!! 

After still completly ignoring my questions they finally send an send an email saying “congratulations, your case falls under the guidelines but unfortunately since you were not able to produce the proper documentation (the deadline didn’t even pass!!) we will give you $2800 and only 48 hours to accept this offer. 

The bathtub itself was 1800, so basically they are leaving me with 1000 to have a contractor rip out my bathtub, open Sheetrock, plumbing and fix tiles, pay for materials and dispose of the bathtub!!!! I am outraged!!!! 

They have yet to respond and are setting me up for failure so they don’t have to foot the bill.  It’s sickening!!!! I have seen a completly different side to them and I no longer feel safe renting my home. 

I have all of this documented via email. It scares me to think that if something even worse were to get damaged that It would be coming out of my pocket. I now have people checking in that unfortunately do not have a bathtub to use, and when coming with children that is a big deal!! 

I am going to be considering other platforms as this is just so disappointing!! 

P.s.  one of their requirements- does anyone even know what this means ?

“Extension of the intervention per square meter/inches”

18 Replies 18
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Estee0

I am sorry to hear this but I've heard much worse stories and they got nothing unfortunatelly 😞  How stupid questions will be depends of the rep you got, sometimes they just shoot and stay alive.

If possible try to get the rest from your home insurance if you have one.

Thank you! That’s comforting :(. 

@Estee0I know, I am sorry 😞

we are all playing russian roulette here so the best is to avoid any expensive amenities, furniture, decorations etc... in any rental, short or long term.

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

How do you put a hole in a bath tub ?

Estee0
Level 2
New York, United States

My thoughts exactly 🤷🏻‍♀️

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I hate to say it, but you might count yourself lucky that you are getting that much.  I can't even think of what one would have to drop on a bathtub to make a hole in it? 

If installing an insinkerator typically costs $250-400 for plumber (the upper end is the more corrupt) I think the bath tub may run to a lot more than $1k if you need to change pipe, sewer, drywall and tile. And getting it in and out. Bleh.

Estee0
Level 2
New York, United States

@Mark116 it’s scary to imagine if it were something even more costly. After all is said and done it will be at least 2k out of pocket. (After the 2800). How do people continue to rent their homes knowing there really isn’t any protection? 

The hole is a complete mystery. 😕 

Estee0
Level 2
New York, United States

@Pete28 The quotes I’m getting for labor and materials is 2500-3000.  

Yeah, hard to see how even tile would be done for $1k. On the economy side :

https://www.homedepot.com/p/16-in-W-x-36-in-L-Bathtub-Floor-Repair-Inlay-Kit-in-White-INLAY-WT-1636-...

what is the tub made from ?

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

IF you know who your guest really is (you'd have to personally have this info already, ABB won't give it to you), you could either sue them in small claims OR give their info over to your home insurer who will then subrogate the claim to their insurance.

and yes, you're right, we're all one disaster away from ruing the day we ever let strangers into our houses.

good luck with the bathtub

Estee0
Level 2
New York, United States

Thanks! So frustrating!!

Estee0
Level 2
New York, United States

It’s just really disheartening the way the whole thing played out. They essentially make it impossible to meet their requirements for the amount that they should cover. When I asked my case manager via email (they don’t communicate on the phone) to please elaborate on the requirements he completely ignored the question. Not only that, he has been MIA for over 50 hours. Of course that means my deadline has officially expired. No responses whatsoever to any emails. And every time I call it’s the same story “thank you for being patient, your case is already escalated to the highest possible and unfortunately no one can help you but your case manager.”  

I realized being a super host for years means absolutely NOTHING. I have been contacted by Plum guide to host with them, it might be time to look into that. 😕

Take it to SoMe. Facebook, Twitter. Seems like better fortune there...