WARNING- Airbnb does NOT protect you!!!

Estee0
Level 2
New York, United States

WARNING- Airbnb does NOT protect you!!!

I’ve been a super host for years, with almost a hundred 5* reviews. I take pride in my home and have always gone above and beyond for my houseguests. 

I have always bragged to others how Airbnb is amazing and stands behind their product, anytime I had something that was damaged it was resolved quickly. 

Unfortunately this past Saturday I received notification of a houseguest putting a hole the size of a baseball in my relatively new bathtub. 

Sunday morning I open a resolution case. These are the facts-

Airbnb tells me I am covered under their policy although the houseguests security deposit is not large enough to cover the damages. Initially they ask for 2 things, receipt of bathtub and a contractors estimate. 

I got them both. They were fine with the bathtub receipt (how could they argue that one?) but then came up with all these insane stipulations that no contractor has even heard of.  Apparently with these sorts of claims they ONLY correspond via email. You CANNOT call. They have given me until the 21st to come up with the information yet they have completely ignored my questions to please explain what they are asking me for. They have given me only 5 days yet they don’t respond to anything until 24 hours later via email.  They have been requesting rediculous things such as an hourly quote!! What contractor works by the hour??!! 

After still completly ignoring my questions they finally send an send an email saying “congratulations, your case falls under the guidelines but unfortunately since you were not able to produce the proper documentation (the deadline didn’t even pass!!) we will give you $2800 and only 48 hours to accept this offer. 

The bathtub itself was 1800, so basically they are leaving me with 1000 to have a contractor rip out my bathtub, open Sheetrock, plumbing and fix tiles, pay for materials and dispose of the bathtub!!!! I am outraged!!!! 

They have yet to respond and are setting me up for failure so they don’t have to foot the bill.  It’s sickening!!!! I have seen a completly different side to them and I no longer feel safe renting my home. 

I have all of this documented via email. It scares me to think that if something even worse were to get damaged that It would be coming out of my pocket. I now have people checking in that unfortunately do not have a bathtub to use, and when coming with children that is a big deal!! 

I am going to be considering other platforms as this is just so disappointing!! 

P.s.  one of their requirements- does anyone even know what this means ?

“Extension of the intervention per square meter/inches”

18 Replies 18
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Estee0   I think you should go over to the Updates section of this forum to the post re Superhost Week started by Laura, who is supposedly part of a new team "dedicated to helping hosts succeed", as she writes. Click on her profile photo to send her a personal message and copy and paste your topic post to her as a PM. I'm sure we'll all be interested in what kind of response you get, and perhaps it might help you get a more appropriate solution than what you've been offered.

Alison416
Level 2
Prescott, AZ

I too have loved Airbnb, been s super host for over 6 years with several properties. My last guest damaged my property. 

I did as Airbnb requested, sent pictures of damage, invoices to replace damaged furniture, invoices for extra services due to the damage.  

My place has been vacant for over 30 days now due to repairs needed. In six years my average vacancy per year is less then 2 weeks total. So in addition to the cost to replace furniture, linens and extra services to get my property ready to receive guests. 

My costs have been over $3,000. And they want to me to agree within 48 hrs. So if I don’t does that mean they will pay nothing! 

To top it off she gave me a bad review and can do this to other hosts. 

What is the protection insurance for? Does Airbnb have that little regard for the hosts? Does anyone have any advice.  I too am nervous about having guests in my home. 

Alison browning
Estee0
Level 2
New York, United States

Hi Alison, I’m so sorry to hear! Unfortunately your story sounds too painfully familiar :/. I just accepted their amount because they refused to elaborate on their “requirements” which no one understood. I had to suck up the difference but I no longer have the same sense of security with Airbnb. 

Ryan111
Level 6
New York, NY

I wouldn't rely on airbnb, look into home insurance speciafically for short term housing rentals.  It will cover loss of income due to damage as well as traditional insurance coverage.