Wanting to cancel a guest without penalty

Anne-And-Kevin0
Level 2
San Jose, Costa Rica

Wanting to cancel a guest without penalty

Hello... this is my first time reaching out in this community.

My husband and I run a B&B in the moutains of Costa Rica. We have a "strict" cancellation policy. We have guests who have booked from India for next January. My father has taken ill and we have decided to return to Canada. Last week, we sold the property. These new owners have many years experiece in the hospitality industry (one is a chef) and they want to continue with the B&B business. To be completely transparent, we have communicated with these guests, explaining what has happened and giving them the opportunity to cancel (hoping they wouldn't as we're sure their experience will be lovely regardless... we know the knew owners well). At first, our guests said they would like to keep the booking. Then yesterday, they wrote back saying they feel uncertain and since they are travelling such a long way, they want to find a different place. No problem. It's their perogative. I quickly changed our cancellation status from "strict" to "moderate" so they could cancel without losing their money. However, when they try to cancel, the change doesn't seem to apply to them (perhaps because when they booked it was on "strict"?). So, this means we would need to cancel on our end. BUT, that would mean we would get penalized (well, the new owners would be penalized and that doesn't seem fair). Does anyone know how to work around this situation. We're talking 6 months notice. No one should be penalized in this case, in my opinion. I can't seem to find a way to write directly to someone at Airbnb. Any suggestions? Thank you. - Anne

8 Replies 8
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Hi Anne and Kevin

So to put it in a nutshell, you have sold your B&B and want the new owners to take over your listing and bookings.

Unfortunatly you cannot transfer your listing to a new owner, the new owner will have to open an account and make a duplicate of your listing. You then have to contact ABB to get them to transfere the bookings to the new listing, but non of your reviews, superhost or stats will be transfered.

Contact details for ABB:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide-UPDATED/m-p/413245

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Anne-And-Kevin0

You will have to contact airbnb, explain the situation and have them do the cancellation for you.  It does not help to change your cancellation policy as anything booked under strict will remain under that policy.

Thanks! Do you know how to contact someone at Airbnb? I can't seem to find anything under "help"... very frustrating!

Hello @Anne-And-Kevin0,

A link with ways to contact Airbnb was helpfully given above by @Jeff158 in the first answer to your original question!

Steve.

Yes, thank you, the link above is very helpful... not sure why that particular post did not appear on my screen the first time. It did after I refreshed. Sorry Jeff!

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Anne-And-Kevin0 they can cancel on their end. Once you receive the cancellation notice, release the rest of the $ (the remaining 50%). That way they get the full refund - the service fee.

Thanks Farah, I had no idea I could do that. Very good to know. 

@Anne-And-Kevin0 Twitter account @airbnbhelp has been extremely helpful, when I've used them about 3 times.