We are YOU- & we are Airbnb Plus

We are YOU- & we are Airbnb Plus

We have read the hundreds of negative & often extremely disrespectful comments here over the past week concerning Airbnb Plus. We can no longer stay quiet because we feel hurt by your assumptions of who we are. We cannot be the poster child for Plus but we can tell you who we are & hope that by doing so, you may see another side.

We began our Airbnb journey of sharing our home in the Spring of 2015. I had a cervical fusion in 2014 as the result of an accident & due to the severity & my long recovery, I became disabled & we had to figure out a new path to make a living. Airbnb became that new opportunity & with lots of prayer & doing everything I could do to give our guests a memorable experience that exceeded their expectations, we succeeded & became Super Hosts that first quarter. We have loved welcoming our guests from all over the world & have made lasting friendships. Airbnb changed our lives & gave me a new purpose.

In May, we were contacted about being selected to participate in a new pilot program called Select & we said yes, we would love to be guinea pigs in what was to become Plus. It’s been a long road of emails, photography, home improvements, walk through inspections, more photography, listing description changes, & waiting & wondering what was going to happen since May until the announcement last week. We are honored to have been chosen & happy to be one of the first Plus Hosts in Los Angeles. Our 9 month journey was hard work but fulfilling and we cannot say enough about the constant care we received from the entire Plus Team during this time. 

We have a lovely 1926 restored Spanish home. Many comments here have stated who Plus is. We are not that. Ours is not a luxury property. We live in a neighborhood community - not a fancy gated community. We are not a hotel. We are not property managers. We are homeowners. We greet every guest. We provide breakfast on the first morning. We care deeply about our guests. 

Many comments through the years, have been a plea for more. More views. More bookings. A plea from hosts who work hard to stand out from those that do little or nothing. Isn’t that what Airbnb is trying to do with Plus ? Paying $149 for professional photography, a design consultation, editorial recommendations seems very reasonable for better placement. We feel that all the new changes are reflective of Airbnb being the place for everyone - no matter your budget or what type of space you desire. We hope knowing who we are will give you a clearer understanding of who a Plus Host could be. We are You. 

Thank you. 

Kittie 

84 Replies 84
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kittie-and-Chris0  I think you are misinterpreting a lot of the posts re Plus. What most hosts who will never achieve this category are upset about is that airbnb is pushing hosts to use instant book, has a faulty rating system that penalizes hosts who have excellent reviews, but lost their Superhost status because they fell below 4.8% (we have to be PERFECT even if we got lower stars because the guests don't understand the rating system), etc, etc. Now they add the Plus category. So now excellent hosts who go above and beyond for their guests, are pushed farther and farther down the listings search by airbnb if they don't choose to use instant book or are not in the Plus category. And what airbnb considers to be necessary to qualify for Plus doesn't appear to be based on what hosts or guests say they want, but rather based on what the airbnb execs decided based on their own personal ideas. And they offer less and less support to small hosts.

However, it is great that you posted this to give us all a different perspective. Am sure it will generate much discussion.

Thank you, @Sarah977. We are grateful for your response & understand many of the concerns you’ve mentioned. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kittie-and-Chris0 Thank you for starting this thread Kittie and I am sorry for the health issues you have had to go through. I have just had to put my wife of 48 years into care, the result of 40 years living with MS I am afraid. I understand your struggles, believe me.

Kittie your listings give a very good illustration of why many of us are concerned at the way the Plus program has been put together.

Your Blissfull Blue Moon Bungalow is a genuine listing from a genuine Superhost, gives a very good description of what I would receive if I chose to book your property.....It is a 'warts and all' depiction, plenty of clutter and it is homely, the sort of place I would want to stay in.....I could feel comfortable in.

Your Captivating Spanish house is a total designer makeover statement piece....Kittie, it does not look comfortable!

Your Blissfull Blue Moon Bathroom shows me I am going to get a selection of soaps, towels, a hair dryer, all those things which I would need and expect from a Superhost.

Your Captivating Spanish house bathroom shows me a handbasin, a toilet, some arty tilework and....that's it, I don't even see a shower shot!

Granted Kittie it is not the 'penthouse suite of Trump Tower, but Kittie it's not you. It's trying to be something that your aren't! You and Chris look like genuine down to earth guys....the sort who would be the life of the party', the sort of people I would want to know.

Airbnb had a purge on hosts a couple of years ago. Many hosts were removed from the platform for, in Airbnb's words, 'not providing a genuine Airbnb hosting experience'!

Kittie...."We could not have been happier discovering the Blue Moon Bungalow --it is more charming than the pictures, even though the pictures are great. And Kittie was so warm and so generous with her little thoughtful extras (coffee, oj, eggs, bottled water, croissants and welcoming note....."

You don't buy reviews like that Kittie, they belong to a genuine host, I don't know whether chasing moonbeams is for you.

But that's just my personal opinion.

Cheers.....Rob

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Kittie-and-Chris0@Robin4@Sarah977,

Wasn't that what Brian C's message was about? Airbnb should be for everyone!

It's good that he kicked out the Wall-Street Guy.

When you want plus, then you go to a plus-listing.

And when you want genuine, then you select what you like!

There are Pro & Con's to everything.

Please bear in mind: He's unfortunately got Wall Street on his a..h, looking at $ 31 Billion and possibly more 😞

Thank you, @Robin4.  I’m so very sorry about your wife. I know it is quite the transition & thank you for sharing this with me. While I do appreciate all of your comments, we are very proud of all of our reviews for the Blue Moon Bungalow & Casa Luna. They are both a reflection of us and both very comfortable. 

We feel that the shorter listing descriptions in Plus was from widespread Host feedback to Airbnb that guests DO NOT READ their listings and then expectations on both sides are a problem so they have made Plus an easier read. Let’s remember that this is the pilot & who knows it what Plus will become. 

We just wanted to share our experience in the hopes that our fellow hosts can see us as the first Plus Hosts in a new light. The comments about who Plus hosts are have been very hurtful to us. Our hope is that this community can be a place to share our experiences and always be encouraging. 

Thank you again. 

@Kittie-and-Chris0

Absolutely don't want to be hurtful to you in any way Kittie, you have every reason to be proud.

I looked at this when it first came up back last year. I meet the criteria, I ticked all the boxes.

Opportunities.png

I offer more amenities than most of the 'Plus'  listings I have seen...

Ammenities.png

I tried to look at it from the guests point of view. You are right Kittie, most guests do not wade through listing descriptions fully, some don't read them at all, and Plus certainly does get around that problem. But my thoughts were that this lack of information could in fact lead to more problems by misconceptions through ommisions and on that basis decided it was not for me!

What I am trying to do Kittie is get Airbnb to allow guests to search for properties in the category of their choice.

Have a primary search map...

Plus.......Superhosts.......Business Travellers....Budget. There is a space there for all of us.

Give everyone a go without lumping us all in together to fight against each other with filtering.

This is not about you Kittie and Chris, you two deserve the utmost respect. You are trying everything you can to further the Airbnb brand and I admire your determination.

It's the path that determination is taking you that I am addressing. 

Please do not think this is trying to be hurtful, in my way I am trying to help us all.

Cheers.....Rob

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Robin4,

Well said!

Airbnb should have something for everyone.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Kittie-and-Chris0 I am quite certain that if Airbnb had called me to be in the 'Select' (Plus) program (which wasn't going to happen - I live in a little beach community on the Oregon Coast) I would have been very interested and possibly would have accepted, depending on how I felt about meeting their specific requirements / expectations. Not having any clue as to all the changes Airbnb would be rolling out (as announced by Brian C. 2/22/18), I could not possibly have understood the impact this would have on the entire 'system', (our community), i.e., how non-Plus hosts would be affected / impacted - Super Hosts, as well as 'traditional' hosts (private rooms in homes, common, shared space, etc). And I am sure I would have felt surprised and hurt, like you, when reading certain 'Plus'-related comments here. It is understandable.

I wrote a post several weeks ago entitled, "Are Traditional Hosts No Longer Valued By Airbnb?" I am not sure what led me to write it, but it seems rather prescient now, given all that has happened since 2/22 with Airbnb's platform. While I will likely not be negatively impacted by these changes ('Plus' is unlikely to ever get to my area, and if it did, I am already running my place like a 'Plus' home, with more amenities than most 'Plus' homes offer) I am aware of many, many hosts who ARE being negatively impacted by these changes, and rather drastically, particularly if they are listed in one of the 13 Cities 'Plus' is in. One host in Los Angeles wrote a rather anguished post recently - They had worked very, very hard  to get established, invested a lot into their Airbnb (start-up costs), made Super Host early on, were receiving up to 4 booking requests / IBs a day, and then the new 'Plus' platform / website was rolled out 2/22 and they have not had one booking since. Not one. I am sure that you can well imagine how that might feel, given your own hard work and success as a Super Host.

The fact is, Airbnb is taking a different direction, one that is in alignment with the demands that go along with pursuing a well-publicized impending IPO. If Airbnb had gone about this 'Plus' roll-out differently, I don't think there would be as many negative things being said. For example, Airbnb could have announced that ALL Super-hosts now have a chance to become a 'Plus' listing by meeting certain standards and criteria. But this would not have met the needs of the IPO-train; they needed to make a drastic platform shift to capture people / sources of revenue that currently is going to hotels / boutique hotels / property managed vacation homes, etc, and they had to do it very quickly. So 13 cities were selected, and Super Hosts (or boutique hotels or property managed rentals) were invited to become part of the 'Plus' program. Understandable, and efficient on Airbnb's part. But there are consequences from choosing such a strategy - and one of those is that many people are feeling confused, angry, left behind, and upset, especially as they see their bookings suddenly go down as a direct consequence of this 'Plus' roll-out. 

As for me, I assumed after Brian C's emphasizing the value of Super Hosts 2/22 that the 'Stay With A Super Host' selection would be featured somewhere within the same geographical region as the 'Plus' homes. I have already shared elsewhere my great surprise and disappointment to find that the critical top section of Airbnb's new home page is basically a gigantic billboard for Airbnb Plus. I had to scroll past no less than 7 other selections ('Homes Around The World', 'Experiences', 'Concerts', etc) before I could find the 'Stay With A Super Host' filter. We were near to dead last. And that told me all I needed to know about my value and importance as a Super Host on Airbnb. 

Lastly, some in the Airbnb Community are feeling distressed as they see their incomes threatened by all of these changes that they never saw coming. It is quite evident, at least to me, that a 'culling' of traditional hosts appears to be occurring via revised standards and policies as Airbnb heads toward their IPO. We are being pressured to be more and more like hotels, and less and less visible and personal as hosts. We are being asked to be more like impersonal, invisible property managers versus caring human beings, as @Robin4 has previously mentioned. Some of us will be able to adapt and do well within this new drastically different framework and continue to experience success on the Airbnb platform, and some of us won't. And people are going to need time and space to process all of this and adjust to the new reality that is unfolding before them, a reality that was completely unexpected. And some of that processing is happening here in the Community Center, and this is likely going to go on for a long time as hosts begin to realize that the train that they were riding has suddenly left the station without them. Because it seems that AIrbnb is not for everybody, after all. 

That was a very polite way of saying Airbnb is moving away from the very people who helped it become what it is. Maybe it's not just for the 2 percent, but it definitely seems not to be interested in the 70 percent any longer. So I'm hoping someone else will come along to give us a place to connect with the not-so-rich travelers who want a nice vacation at an affordable price.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

That airbnb is staking a new road is understandable, I can even understand that it may be a necessary under the current circumstances of STR bans in cities throughout the world.  Barcelona is a perfect example @Robin4 - to stay on top in one of the busiest tourist cities in Europe, they need to include those established STR with a municipal licence as the others are illegal and will disappear. The illegal ones with their sudden shutdowns and host cancellations will have to go - they give airbnb a bad reputation. Good riddance you may say - they give all of us a bad reputation. The sad fact is that we are then more or less left with the pros and the few that have been clever enough to get a licence years ago when the climate was less harsh.

In the current situation it is all very well for the chosen few, but when all the others are confused about where this new road will lead the rest of us, it is understandable that there will be reactions. The more I read and the more I look at the new features, the more confused I get.  

As for Superhost @Sarah977 I wonder is Plus is going to be the new Superhost given the new criteria, or that the new super Superhosts will get better exposure after July when the new Superhost criteria is going to take effect.  There is even an invisible criteria called acceptance rate, a rating that we did not know existed.  Now we know the answer to all those questions on Superhost assesment date, those who meet all the official criteria, but still fail the asessment. Acceptance rate.

Classic holiday rentals - rentals by the week - do they still want those ? For some time now there has been a property type called holiday home, that one is gone.  Town house is the only property type that fits with the new roll out.  The new calendar settings allow for check-in and check-out on specific dates, that seems to be in favour of holiday rentals. With a short holiday season and the 2 week average stay, it will take forever and a day to become Superhost or to qualify for any of the collections. Would that tarnish the new airbnb reputation image I wonder. No quality hosts or properties on offer, just the cheap rental stigma they try to get away from ?

There was a massive advertising campaign all over France last year - book your holiday home with airbnb - I wonder how successful they were.  I got one booking through airbnb - same average as every year since I listed.

I would say the biggest change is the required 4.8 avg. All it takes is one crazy guest (who you can't decline) to give you 1* and down your avg falls, and out of plus and superhost you go. At the same time your booking under plus will get cancelled since you are no longer in the prg. So yeah, a few minor changes...

I was quite surprised to find that the first several Plus listings I looked at in my area made absolutely no mention of whether or not they were a legal listing. Wouldn't this need to be the first item checked for a "verified" listing?? Yes, it is bad for all of us when abb turns a blind eye to these blatantly illegal listings. There is a reason why they are being legislated away in many places.

I personally don't mind categories or even paying to get myself placed in one, but I've yet to see any explanation yet that makes me think a bunch of pictures and three sentences is enough to cover my ass(et) when I'm inviting the general public to become a guest In My Home.

And it is bogus that now we find out that those Declines we entered for folks who wanted a discount, or too many people, or days we had blocked, or whatever, those Declines that ABB said were no big deal, well now they do in fact count against us. That's fine that ABB wants to change the terms going forward, but to pull back into the reaches of time and hold something against us that they said was just fine is hooey.

@Kelly149 Are you able to tell me how you heard about this 'Decline' update? I was told repeatedly this past year (my first as a host / super host) by Airbnb reps that I was not penalized for declining booking requests that were obviously made by travelers that were not a good match for my home ("Can I smoke outside the Cottage?" "Can I vape?" "Can I have a discount?" "Can I bring a toddler?" "Can I have a baby shower with 25 people at your place?", "Is there room to park my 30' ATV trailer and 3 trucks at your place?", etc, etc - You get the idea). 

I have not received this update about Declines. and I am not aware of this plan to take our delines from the past and use them against us. If you have any information on that (or any knowledgeable person reading this) could you let me know? 

@Rebecca181  I am distressed to hear this as well. Maybe you could start a new thread on this, as it's kinda buried here?