We thought that we heard everything...until THIS guest!

We thought that we heard everything...until THIS guest!

We have been renting for almost two years, mostly longer-term rentals, and are proud of having received 23 straight 5-star reviews. We always try to go the extra mile for our guests and take pride in having met their needs, especially when they say so in their reviews.

Recently, we received a 9-day booking from a Spanish man who wanted to take his elderly aunt and his even-more-elderly grandmother to our place in Portugal. The guest insisted on us communicating through an external messaging app, which we usually don't like to do but have done without incident in the past. We agreed, and the messages kept pouring in. He repeatedly asked things which we had already explained to him, such as whether they could check in early, whether there was parking, etc. Even so, he was not our first demanding guest, and so we happily answered all his questions.

This past Monday, he was due to arrive at 11:00 Portugal time (we live in Hong Kong, seven hours ahead), and that's when all the strangeness started. First, he couldn't find our home--despite my having given him very precise directions--simply because he hadn't written the directions down. He sent about 10 messages to me and, I would learn later, to our house manager Mike, and we were both re-explaining to him how to get there. I even sent him the exact quote I had previously sent him on Airbnb showing him precisely how to get there.

Then, when they arrived, they said that they couldn't open the door with the key. This was the first time with over 30 guests (we have also rented out privately, not on Airbnb) that a guest could neither find the home nor open the door. Again, the panic messages started coming in left and right, and so Mike was on his way over there when the guest texted him to say that they had finally figured out how to open the door.

After that, the messages just kept coming: Would someone be coming by every day to change the towels? (No, this is an Airbnb. You are supposed to wash them yourself.) Why is there only one Spanish TV channel? (Because you are in Portugal. But there are over 200 channels, and so surely you can something to watch.) Where are the sponges for the mop? (In the cleaning room where the mop, broom, vacuum and other cleaning products are kept.)

And so on. And so on.

And then, things turned REALLY bizarre. At around 1:50 am Portugal time, I got a text message here in Hong Kong from him in which he claimed that someone had thrown rocks at our window and run away, that it had woken him and his two elderly relatives, that they were terrified, and that they had called the police. Naturally, we were very concerned but also very surprised. Our resort is next to a golf course and not near any main streets, bars, etc. It is patrolled regularly by security, and most of the people who live there are retirees. In over two years since we bought the villa, we have never heard a single story of a break-in or anything remotely like that. It is really a safe, peaceful and quiet community, and so we were more than a little surprised to hear this.

Anyway, the guest told us the police had come but were not very friendly or helpful, and then he started saying that they didn't feel safe, that it was our fault for not having security cameras, and that they were going to move to a hotel. In fact, they had already booked one, he said, and he asked if they could have their money back. So, I told him that I'd see what I could do about getting him a refund, but that I also needed to talk with Airbnb because we had never experienced anything like this before.

Here's where the real strangeness started. While I was emailing the condominium agency at our resort to let them know about this, the guest sent me a photo of a vase that he alleged had been broken by the rock-thrower. But here's what makes that point strange: the vase was on a table inside the house, behind a window which was covered with metal grates on the outside and which had blinds in front of it on the inside. If you understand physics even slightly, then you know that it is physically impossible for a rock to go through a metal grate, a windowpane and a set of blinds--without breaking the window glass--and then shatter a vase inside the room.

He also let it slip that his grandmother had stated that she would have preferred to stay in a hotel, and he then announced that they would be leaving in the morning. I told them that while they were sleeping, I would contact Airbnb to try to look into a refund, and he was showering me with praise about how "kind" I was and promised that he would write us a good review. 

(Wisely, I told him that from there on after, we should do all our correspondence within the Airbnb app so that we have a record of everything.)

I contacted Airbnb that morning by message and was told by a "bot" that they had recorded my case, but then the bot disappeared when I mentioned the refund. So, I decided to wait to call them a bit later in the day, when I was more sure that I could reach an agent.

But then as the day progressed, more things didn't add up. First, when the condominium agency received my message in the morning in Portugal, they immediately contacted the resort security, who then went to check on our guests. However, when they inspected the so-called 'attack area,' they found no rocks around the windows at all and no evidence of any rocks having hit the window or wall. So, when we heard back from the condominium agency, they said that the guest had changed the story to say that no rocks had been thrown but rather that some man had been outside "banging loudly on the metal grates." This, despite the fact that he had already stated several times on both the messenger and Airbnb apps that someone had thrown rocks. 

Next, our house manager Mike visited the villa after the guests had left in the morning and likewise had found no rocks near the window, and so he went around to talk to our neighbours. Not one of them had heard any loud banging that night, and the neighbour closest to us, who can see everything on that side of our home and with whom we share an entranceway, said that he had been up until 3 am and had not only heard nothing of the sort, but that he also had not seen or heard the police come.

By now, of course, we were starting to become very suspicious. And then, when the Airbnb agent and I finally spoke on the phone and I explained the story to her, she likewise seemed skeptical but told me that she would need to forward this to a Case Manager. I was put on hold for quite some time but the Case Manager still didn't come on, and so the agent told me that the CM would call me later. I waited till 11:30 that night and fell asleep on the sofa.

(Side note: The guest and I had continued texting that day, on the Airbnb app, and I just told him that I was still trying to find out what the procedure for doing this was from Airbnb--which was absolutely true. He kept telling me how "kind" and "wonderful" I was.)

When I awoke the next morning, I was surprised to see that the Case Manager had written in detail and had explained very clearly that if a guest checks in and then wants to check out for supposedly "safety reasons," then the guest needs to "provide documentation about their claim," and if the guest cannot provide any such written evidence, then THEY can cancel on their end and the Moderate cancellation policy will apply--meaning the guest would have to pay 50% of the booking fee.

Now, if anyone thinks this is unfair to the guest, please understand: they had booked the room for 9 days during peak season, had already checked in, had already stayed for one night (meaning that if we earn nothing, then we incur the 150 EUR cleaning cost as well as the loss of all the amenities we had put out for them), and had broken a lovely ceramic vase--all for what looked, at this point, like they changed their minds after checking in, decided to move to a hotel, and then created this whole elaborate story to get out of paying anything.

Anyway, I was still on fairly pleasant terms with the guest, who was unaware that we had been piecing together all this information behind the scenes, while he and his relatives were relaxing in their 5-star hotel. And so, I sent him a friendly message explaining what Airbnb had told me and quoting that part of the Case Manager's message, and I told him, politely, that if he could give me a copy of the police report or give us the officers' names and or contact information, then we should be able to get him the full refund.

And THAT is when things turned nasty.

He suddenly started sending angry messages, saying that the police were rude and didn't give them a report, and that they were "too shaken up" by the whole incident to have checked the officers' names and such. He also couldn't give me any contact information and told me that it should be the job of Mike, our house manager, to track down the officers who had supposedly visited our home.

When these angry messages started coming in, I just happened to be at work and was scheduled to be in meetings all afternoon, and so I answered politely that I would be tied up for awhile but that he could try contacting Airbnb support, and I sent him the link for it. He did contact them, and he sent me a short message telling me that he had spoken with an agent and that she would be contacting me. However, when she texted me, she said exactly the same thing that the Case Manager had said: that if the guest could not provide any written documentation supporting his claim, then he would need to cancel on his end and be subject to the Moderate cancellation policy.

I again copied what the agent had said and told him that I still wanted to find a resolution that we could all live with. But then he wrote back something to the effect of, "You are not a man of your word, and so I am going to give you a bad evaluation."

So, that's the story. I know that it's long, and for those of you who have read this far, I appreciate your hanging in there. We are about to receive our first bad review in two years for something that looks unmistakably like an intricate plan to deceive and cheat us, and so I wanted to share it with our fellow hosts so that you, too, can be prepared if any such thing ever happens to you.

This has been, without question, the strangest and most stressful week in our entire Airbnb rental history...

22 Replies 22
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Rich-and-Yan0 I fear your real mistake was even entertaining a refund for this guest.

@Mike-And-Jane0 Of course you are correct, but you have to realise that this message came early in the morning, just after I had woken up, and I was completely shocked because first, I had never heard of such a story, and second, I had no idea what to do. But I was very careful to say to him on Airbnb that I would "look into" getting him a refund and that I needed to "investigate" what needed to be done. I also made sure that anything that he had told me on the other messenger app was repeated on Airbnb, and I got him to corroborate that he had said all these things.

Anyway, the main reason I put this story on here, other than to share what a bizarre tale it was, is to warn other hosts about how deceitful some guests can be if they are trying to get out of their booking. So, I hope everyone can learn from what happened to us.

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Rich-and-Yan0 How bizarre! But what an entertaining story! I wouldn't sweat the bad review. If he leaves it and mentions anything about the "incident" you may be able to get it removed anyway. I'm also guessing if he leaves a bad review it's going to make him sound crazy.

@Suzanne302 Funny enough, about half an hour ago, I received a message from Airbnb telling me that I could leave a review of him, and about five minutes later, I received another notification letting me know that he had already written his review. So, it seems like he followed up on his threat to retaliate for us having foiled his plan.

And yes, it is an entertaining story; I just wish it was someone else telling it, lol. This man made our lives a living hell for a few days and it is not yet over, though it seems to be subsiding.

As for having his review pulled down, the agent that I spoke with told me that I could try to do that. But from what I've read on here, hosts who have attempted to do so have not had much success. I suppose that it all depends on what he wrote and how factual it is. And as for our review of him, well, I'm going to research it very carefully before I write it, because I have also heard of cases of bad reviews of guests being pulled down by Airbnb while their reviews of the hosts have been allowed to remain on the site. We have never been in this kind of situation before, and so I want to make sure that we follow all protocols and do everything according to the book.

Thanks for your feedback.  

@Rich-and-Yan0Review extortion is a violation of the review policy. Hopefully that threat was made on the Airbnb messaging platform and not the outside one you were using, as you can have the review removed based on that. 

As to your review of the guest, best to keep

it simple and just say you would not care to host again, and therefore cannot recommend them. Don’t waste time crafting a novel length review.

@Rich-and-Yan0 

Agree with @Colleen253.. try to figure out your best chance of having it removed that has to be based on existing Airbnb policy.  

If there is no record of extortion on the ABB messaging app, you may also be able to claim its irrelevant or out of your control as the guest never provided any documentation for the police report they claimed to have made, and you can cite the case manager. I think I would be persistent here and keep trying to have it escalated. You can't get a review removed based on lying but it would demonstrate that he wasn't using the proper protocol, so was out of host control. Feel free to post again for feedback on how to phrase your first request to have it removed. If you start off with guest messaging you asking a lot of questions the case manager might only read two sentences and deny the request. Its important to keep all communication on the ABB messaging app. It makes it hard to figure out what you should or shouldn't include. Hope that helps. 

@John5097 Thanks a lot for the comment, John. Yes, we do plan to escalate this. The Airbnb rep that we were dealing with at the end of this case (who, ironically, had been contacted by the guest) saw some of the dialogue between us and thought that the guest was behaving inappropriately, and she urged us to try to have the inevitable bad review pulled from our page after it was posted.

Oh, and as I was just explaining to @Colleen253, we might have further justification for doing so, as the guest changed his story AGAIN. In his review of us, he is now saying that the vase that he had repeatedly been claiming had been broken from a rock thrown from outside was actually broken by them, as they supposedly threw it for some reason. But I have him on Airbnb saying, more than once, that it was hit by a rock thrown by this alleged perpetrator. 

Anyway, we do plan to follow up with it, and in future, if a guest requests that we message them outside of Airbnb, I am simply going to say "no." This is proof positive why we hosts should always communicate within the app.

Thanks again for your feedback. I'll keep in mind what you said about asking for advice from the hosting community on how to phrase a request to have a bad review removed--because I really am in new territory here.

@Rich-and-Yan0 

@Suzanne302 was right that review makes them look completely unhinged. I also appreciated your complete and very accurate account of the guest history prior to the really strange behavior and preposterous claims. That's also a huge plus you have communicated so well with the support representative. I've also found them to be very competent but just very strict when it comes to following word for word policy and rules. 

In fact I'm usually not very good at these kind of things, so wan't being critical, or dismissing your case. 

Another thing that stood out was they claimed you didn't have a security camera, when its very clearly stated in your listing that you don't include one. I think that may also violate the review policy. Need to check on that though. 

This guest has violated so many rules on review policy you would need to prioritize them as best you can. 

I'm sure others can give you better advice. In the past they have suggested including the exact policy it violates. 

If I read that correctly with the traslate they changed the story again to say something to the effect that a private security company are the ones to break the vase. Not sure what bunch of nonsense. I wonder if this would violate TOS as they are claiming a home invasion and that they called police but no report of it. Not sure. ABB should ban these kind of guest and support outstanding host like yourself! 

@John5097 Thanks again for your kind and detailed feedback. And don't worry, I didn't read anything into what you were saying as being negative or critical. On the contrary, I could clearly see that you, and the other hosts here, are trying to help, and I really appreciate that. 

Several people have commented now how this guest comes off looking like a crazy person. If you read my original story, then you can imagine what a nightmare few days this was for us--and believe me when I say that what I posted here was the "short" version, lol. It has been several days of absolutely bizarre behaviour the likes of which I have never seen in my life. So, I think that maybe we have a good case for having this review removed--but as you and others have already noted, it all depends on who we get for an Airbnb rep and how they respond to our case. 

Thanks as well for pointing out the thing about the security cameras. You're right, our listing very clearly says that we don't have any, and so how can he be claiming that as a negative? We will definitely follow up on that one. Cheers.

@Rich-and-Yan0 @Your response was spot on. I don’t think I could have contained my indignation toward such string of lbaseless accusations. On second thought I’m not even sure how CS might interpret guest claim there is no security camera. I think your challenge will be to address so much bizarre behavior. He has made a lot of mistakes and you have remained composed and professional. I think it’s more productive and healthy to remind ones self that they have done the best they can and can’t go back and change minor mistakes when dealing with unscrupulous individuals or bullies. 

@Colleen253 A bit too late, as I did write the details of what happened in our review of him. We just read his review and he has changed his story yet again. After I pointed out to him that it would have been impossible for a rock to break that vase from outside the window, he wrote in his review that they "threw the vase" (for some reason).

Fortunately, I do have him on Airbnb saying very clearly that the rock that he claims was thrown is what hit the vase and broke it, and so I am going to try to use that as part of my argument to have his review taken down. I am skeptical that Airbnb will remove the review, however, but we will try our best.

Thanks for your feedback.

P.S. I wrote a response to his review that was much shorter, and in it I quoted his message in which he said, after Airbnb told him that he would need to provide written evidence of his claim, that we had "behaved badly" and that he would "write a review explaining the details." Hopefully guests will see that for what it is: a petulant man seeking revenge because his underhanded attempt to scam a host had failed.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Rich-and-Yan0 Your chance of getting a review removed will depend on how it is phrased and also if it can be proved it is retaliatory. The biggest variable is likely to be the customer support rep you speak to as it does appear very random!

@Mike-And-Jane0 Yes, I know what you mean about that "luck of the draw" thing with Airbnb reps. We were fortunate in this case, however, because both of the ones we spoke with seemed to realise straight off that this was an attempt to scam their way out of paying anything.

And so, contrary to the common perception that I hear from so many hosts that Airbnb "always takes the side of the guests," they did not do so at all in this case. Rather, they backed us fully and told the guest that if he claimed there were security problems in our home, then the onus was on HIM to provide evidence of this. But he did not (or "could" not) and became very angry at being asked to provide this written documentation, and so he vowed to write a bad review of us--and did so. 

That's okay, though. We both talked it over after we had pieced everything together and realised that he was trying to pull one over us, and we simply didn't like the fact that he was dangling a potential good review over our heads if we gave him all his money back. We thought that we needed to take a stand on behalf of all hosts, even if it would cost us our first bad review. It wasn't even for the money, which wasn't all that much; it was for the principle. Sometimes, you just have to do what you know in your gut is the right thing to do. 

Cheers. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Rich-and-Yan0 I am sorry this happened to you.

I have had guests make things up in order to distract from some other agenda. For example, a guest who brought 2 terriers let them unsupervised in the yard (against house rules.) The dogs did a lot of digging in the garden-- like a LOT of digging. They must have been out there for some time. The guest contacted me after her check out to say she found a dead mouse under the bed! WHAT?? I apologized and was mortified. I asked a lot of questions about where she found it, if it seemed dead for some time etc as I wanted to alert the cleaners. She was very vague. It was only when I went to disinfect behind the cleaners that I saw the damage to our plants from her dog. I asked her about it and she said "well I figured we are even after I found that mouse." That is when I knew she was making up the mouse in order to distract from the damage.  At one point she said she would send me a pic of it in situ. It never came.

Another guest gave us very odd feedback about making sure people knew to use our non-slip bathmats lest we "get sued," and that our cookware needed different sponges because of  potential damage to the non-stick coating also telling us that "I am an attorney." Upon turnover, we found the guest had scratched up both our brand new cookware and glass top stove and our bathmat was nowhere to be found. It was obvious the guest had sent this strangely threatening feedback so that we would not confront them about the missing and damaged items. It was an attempt to intimidate us from a damage claim.

People are interesting. Sorry you ran into such a passive-aggressive, sneaky guest.