What are the red flags of a high maintenance guest and how to warn future hosts...

Ashley197
Level 6
Seattle, WA

What are the red flags of a high maintenance guest and how to warn future hosts...

Hello fellow hosts, 

What is the wording you fellow hosts use in reviews to subtly "warn" other hosts about high-maintenance guests? A follow-up question would be this: what steps do you take to detract such high-maintenance guests from your listings, set boundaries politely with them, or just let-go of the fear of the bad review they might leave if you, say, direct them to the closest grocery store rather than buy them $10 worth of bratwurst per day because your listing says "lite breakfast snacks included"?  

To be clear, I'm not referring to a guest that asks for something once or twice as high-maintenance (I appreciate guests that communicate how we can best add o the comfort of their stay). Far and away, we have had wonderful low-maintenance or average-maintenance guests. I'm also not venting about the regular, reasonable host jobs that take time and effort, like spending time chatting and suggesting fun sites to visit, or checking-in a couple times a day to ensure things are clean, well-stocked, dishes washed and available, etc. 

I'm speaking of the very occasiona guest that throws a kink in every routine we have. You know the ones I'm referring to (you might have some funny stories of your own!)... guests that might do any of the following (which I know might read like "you might be a long-time host if... you've had this happen..."): a guest 

- knocks on your door in the early morning with no notice expecting to check into their room not only before the announced check-in time but before the previous guest has even woke up. (with no notice),

- expects you do 4 loads of laundry for them the day before they leave when they've only stayed a couple days,

- expects you go shopping for exactly every ingredient they need,

- somehow, in a 24-hour period eats all of the bagels, toast, yogurt, eggs, milk and cereal that was set out for guests of 3 rooms to eat at their convenience (such that the other guests message you asking where the lite breakfast snacks promised are)

- takes hours in a shared bathroom, or leave a trail of nasty mess in their wake, or that sneaks extra guests in to their booking for 1 person,  etc...

Though the above is said in humor and with a laugh, any serious (or humorous) suggestions are truly solicited and most welcome! 😉 

Thanks for any and all thoughts! 

31 Replies 31

The situation that you are describing is not high maintenance. High maintenance is the guest who is hapless, doesn't read descriptions, rules, terms, or you emails, but aren't necessarily rude, just clueless. 

The situations that you are describing are monsters on two feet. They have mistaken your hosting for personal indentured servitude. And sooner or later, we all run in to them. It's how you handle it that is pivotal.

You need a very firm grasp of where your responsibility starts and ends. You are an innkeeper, not a maid. And ironically, the more crap they throw at you, the lower the review. It's like bullies in the schoolyard. Just never forget it's your home. 

How do we learn? The hard way. We are spoiled by decent people. We are unprepared for assholes. 

My first such guest made his 8 day stay a living nightmare. Even a lightbulb change was a ten minute harangue. Until one day I caught him handing out muffins I had baked for a special guest who was leaving. I mean, he was stealing food. 

And I set the record straight in no uncertain terms. People need to have the record set straight. They need your direction. And that starts when you write the posting. 

I have had some men in from other cultures that had no concept of civil behaviour whatsoever. Even Airbnb had to get involved. But that's the risk you take. Just be prepared.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

1. If possible convert whatever room and shared bathroom that you have into a "guest suite" that is blocked off from the rest of the house.  There's a lot of travelers who would give up laundry, living room and kitchen in exchange for the privacy of a stay with NO shared space.

2. Don't accept same day bookings. Last minute bookers tend to be people who live their lives haphazzardly.

3. Pay attention to the reviews about guests. Ex- Smoking inside a non-smoking stay.

4. High maintenance guests tend to ask questions that are already answered in your listing.