What do you do when you see a competitor listing that is clearly illegal?

Carol0
Level 3
Seattle, WA

What do you do when you see a competitor listing that is clearly illegal?

As a host I often look at other listings in my city and see blatantly illegal ones. Several even state in the listing something like, "Don't tell my landlord or any of my neighbors that you are renting from AirBnB! Just say you are a friend!"  I see students renting out dorm rooms at the university. I see apartments and condos where I'll bet the landlord doesn't know.  Can these be reported, and if so, does anyone know if AirBnB really shuts down those listings?

17 Replies 17
Jessa0
Level 10
Ngorongoro, Tanzania

Gee Carol I'm feeling a lot of aggression coming from you... you asked what we do when we see "illegal" listings and I gave you my take on it. Live and let live essentially, unless someone is at risk of getting hurt. I can see now you have pictures of yourself when you click through, sorry I wasn't clicking through earlier, airbnb now demands the profile pic be of a face (this is new aparantly) and all I see when I respond here is a lake, sorry I transgressed something there by commenting on not wanting to book a lake - most guests dont click through our profile pics, and some when they just see a flower or a lake or a logo and think it's not personal enough. As to whether or not airbnb is illegal, well thousands of listings in New York have been shut down the past days because the city forced airbnb to its knees and requires very strict conditions for a listing to be legal. When airbnb began there was no legal framework for it, it was so out of the box. Airbnb like Uber is still in a legal limbo in so many countries and cities, in many places like the Netherlands, an individual may only rent out 60 nights/year - thousands of Dutch hosts rent out full time. If there were to be a global hunt against "illegal" airbnb listings, I wouldn't be surprised if half of us would go down the drain. This is a disruptive technology, a libertarian enterprise and it would not exist had its founders and many of its early hosts always followed the laws that existed at the time. 

I am aware of all this.  That is why I am bringing up this question. Your immediate attack on me to discuss this issue caused me to be defensive and attack back.  

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

The only listings I report to Airbnb are those that request that guests contact the host directly, not through the Airbnb website.  Many, many guests have lost $1,000's due to wiring money directly to the scammers.  The rest I don't bother with.  Not my concern.