What furniture is a must have in a cottage for 2 people?

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

What furniture is a must have in a cottage for 2 people?

My cottage is wonderful...............just thinking about changing up some and wondering for those with a cottage like place - NOT houses - for 2 guests do you have a dresser - and a desk and an eating area??? I have all three and I'm thinking that might be over kill with the desk?? dresser?? I have hanging of clothes on a wall unit and behind a door  with multiple hooks. Folks probably use the round table as a desk/eating.....do I really need a desk??? I  like to put my clothes in a dresser - BUT I'm thinking most folks just leave it in a suitcase.......???? I haven't asked guest, BUT, I have NEVER found anything left in a dresser......You comments would be great. I have 2 luggage racks also. 

I am getting a new platform bedframe and mattress next week and thought perfect time for some redo??? maybe............Do you guys think I really need a dresser??? Really need a desk?? The desk I have was my Dad's so its old but very cool. 

your thoughts would be really great. Peace out and happy hosting, Clara

10 Replies 10
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Frankly I am baffled by guests that choose to keep clothes in their suitcases rather than use the options for storing in the room.  I used to think it was about the length of stay, shorter opting for suitcase and longer for dresser.  Not so sure anymore.  Might just be personal choice.  Still for those who like to set up their nest with storing away in a dresser, it is nice to have one.

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Clara116 The round bistro table is NOT laptop friendly at all. I would keep both the bistro table for eating and the desk for laptop/taking notes/charging devices.

I don't think having a dresser is overkill at all. Lots of people like to move in. Just because people haven't left items behind doesn't mean that they aren't using it. What is motivating your thoughts for eliminating?

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Clara116 

Because you have a table, the desk is superflouse - except as a place for guests to put their suitcase.

Very few people use a dresser - except as a place to put their suitcase. 

I prefer benches and luggage racks - frees up more space

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Susan151 and @Paul154  @Linda108  thanks for your input.....I see lots of guests use the table for their laptops....why is it NOT laptop friendly?? shape???Susan? 

I like to nest, that's why I put everything I put - but in redoing  I thought maybe eliminate something and put something like a bench?? Just thought you folks would help me flip my thoughts.....plus I have a regular guest business woman Mon- thurs. and I'm gonna message and ask her if she uses the dresser?? Desk? 

I have seen that some younger women use the desk for sitting and putting on makeup - how do I know they took my big heavy antique mirror off and put it on the desk across from the chair..........so I immediately put a smaller more practical mirror for them to do makeup/hair, etc. .....so I think the desk is used for more than I imagine. Thanks so much for input. Peace

@Clara116 Yes, the shape and size. I can't imagine using my laptop with a pad of paper and/or file folder of notes on the bistro table. Perhaps it is wider than it appears? My laptop is 15" wide and a pad of paper is 8 1/2 inches wide. I like to have my paper to the right of the laptop so I can take notes when I am working. Does that clarify?

@Susan151  yes that's what I thought. It is much larger than it appears. It's like my kitchen table and not the tiny bistro table I used to have. Thanks for ur comments. 🙂

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Clara116 My listing is a beach cottage studio. I have a table that has an extension leaf - It works for dining and also serves as a great 'desk' - with or without using the leaf extension. I have two luggage racks. I have a closet but no dresser. No one has ever complained and I have all 5 star reviews thus far after 155 stays (listing that is shown is revised listing so newer). I have two very comfy chairs at the table with a foot stool so they can double as 'relaxing and reading' chairs. Then there's the bed. I used to have an ottoman at the end of the bed but it seemed nobody used it and it just took up space. Here's a photo of the dining area (minus foot stool, which I usually set between the two chairs). The cottage is about 400 sf (not counting the kitchenette). Hope this gives you some ideas, it is always fun to redecorate and change things up. Less is more, I find, with a smaller space!table has extension leaf to become a desktable has extension leaf to become a desk

@Rebecca181  Thanks for posting and the pic is sweet.........your place is really so colorful....awesome...looks like you make good use of your space..I esp. love the sunroom and that cart with all the colors....really a lovely place.

Thanks so much, @Clara116  we had fun doing it! I'd love to see a pic of your place also after the revisions!

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Clara116 it looks like you're making good staging use of the desk for leaving them info, so if it fits well then it seems fine. The idea to ask the recurring guest what she likes seems like a great idea