What happens if I turn off instant book? Got a somewhat disrespectful guest.

What happens if I turn off instant book? Got a somewhat disrespectful guest.

Hi, I live in the lower level of the separate space I rent out. Today I have a disrespectful guest. First, she never responded to my pre-stay message - this is the first person who hasn't even acknowledged my message, which included asking for an approximate arrival time. The first guest who ignored me. Then I find out there's at least one additional person (reservation has 2 guests). Also, they are either smoking or have a very strong smoke stench on their clothes. I can smell it wafting through the floor,  and under the doors. I can't believe they would actually be smoking when I live in the house. Also I think the smoke detectors would go off. But it just smells. And I have a nice family coming after they leave. They also left lights on (not uncommon) and the TV. I don't want to have people like this in my home if I can avoid it. I will see tomorrow after they leave how bad it is. Maybe I'm overreacting, but I don't want to live with this uncomfortableness - it's not worth it.  I thought turning off IB might help me feel more comfortable with who is coming to stay. Any thoughts? 

45 Replies 45

@Emilia0 

Thanks for the tip, I noticed most of my guests have Gov ID but I have never checked that box. All fixed now.

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

Exactly the reason most hosts turn off instant booking. I did it over a year ago and haven't noticed any backlash. I have 100% say in who books my place now. If they don't answer my preliminary questions or ignore me, they get declined. Its GREAT and I suggest you try it. You will not go back to instant book I bet. 

@Donald28 Do most guests even understand that they have to ask/request to stay with you? I have the review and govt ID requirement, but people without those often send a message which seems as if they are assuming they can just book. And don't provide too much info. 

Yes they usually do. It's so much nicer for the host this way. The guests have to jump through an extra hoop of contacting you first but isn't that what hosts want?

@Donald28  It's certainly what I want. If someone is too lazy, self-absorbed or bothered about sending a nice message to a host whose home they want to stay in, they can go elsewhere.

Yes they can go to a hotel! LOL

@Donald28   They can sleep on a park bench covered in newspapers for all I care.

I'm so sick of the Instant Gratification With No Effort culture.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Donald28 

Looking at those listing photos of yours Don (and I compliment you on a great private listing) how much power of yours does that arcade centre chew up? There is a lot of equipment running in there, and much of it looks like it was from before the days of LEDs!

Silly question but I sort of have this 'thing' about electricity.

Cheers......Rob 

Rob The arcade easily turns on and off with an alexa. It is not left on when people are not using it. Most guests don't spend a ton of time in the arcade playing games. Some do but most don't. We had a "sense" electricity monitor for a while. When it worked... which was not often... it showed us the arcade power use wasn't as bad as we thought. It's been a while so I can't give you an exact numbers. The most our electricbill ever gets to is $400 a month in the heat of the summer. That includes our 2700 sq ft home (w/2 large central AC units), tinyhouse (1 minisplit AC unit), inground salt water pool system, koi pond pump (runs 24/7/365) and the arcade (w/1 minisplit AC unit). So, not too bad. The winter is much less since the pool is closed and AC's aren't running. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jennifer1351  I have never used IB. I just can't imagine having someone in my home who I didn't exchange a message or two with before they book. All my guests have been really forthcoming in their messages and good communicators. I'm wary of people who just want to hit IB without wanting to get a feel for the host whose home they are going to be sharing, just as I want to get a feel for the guest. In other words, I want guests who like a bit of pre-communication before commiting to a booking, because it indicates that they have an understanding of home-sharing. I've found they end up being the type of guests who are good fit for me and my place.

I'd rather have less bookings and problem-free guests than the other way around.

Thanks for the info @Sarah977  I need to think on this one.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jennifer1351 @Emilia42  @Rebecca181  @Sarah977 

Possibly the use/or not of IB boils down to the class of guest you are appealing to.

By that I mean, are you in the centre of a busy population area where you are seen as a nesseccary 'evil' to a guests traveling plans?

Is your listing located and priced to take advantage of special events?

Is your listing located near the beach or in the wilderness?

In other words is your property something that is not the main focus of their stay!!

In any of these situations you have some checking to do and a fair bit of explaining to guests about the scope of what you offer and I imagine reservation request is all important to you.

Most of my bookings come for no other reason than I am available and the place looks ok. People seem to come here for the listing, not some other reason. For me IB is great, more than 85% of my bookings come from IB and, although I did not want to be pushed into it initially, I have had nothing but good experiences with IB. Guests just want to stay, I am not under pressure to respond and accept, and I have never had an IB guest who did not accommpany their booking with a message about themselves. It works well for me!

Jennifer, sooner or later we are probably all going to get that one guest who we will regret having had anything to do with....that one guest we will scratch our heads and say, "How could I have seen this and done it better"! 

I had one, she was here for two hours and left me with a huge mess and called me a creepy old man and wanted a refund. Terrible experience, but I dismissed her from my life in an instant, gave her a very poor review and just got back to hosting guests. 

Would I turn off IB just because I scored one 'fruitcake'! No way Jose!!!!!

Cheers.....Rob

"But I dismissed her from my life in an instant and just got back to hosting guests"

Such a great attitude! @Robin4 Just dismiss those things in an instant - love that!

I appreciate all of the thoughts and information from everyone here!

Thank you @all

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jennifer1351 

I have always looked to tomorrow rather than reflected on yesterday....although at the age of 74, I am hankering to be surrounded by more of those great yesterdays than looking forward to those ever diminishing number of tomorrows.

I am sure I am going to be one those who is going to be lead kicking and screaming into old age. No growing old gracefully for me! Jen!

Cheers.......Rob

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I think that those hosts who say they are fine with Instant Book and try to convince others that's it's really okay, may not understand why many of us won't use it. It's partly a matter of some of us not wanting anyone in our home who we haven't communicated with prior to booking. But it's also a matter of what you offer. @Robin4 touched on it above with the comments about why guests are booking. But also, if your listing is in some way out-of-the-ordinary (I know we'd all like to think of our places as special, and all are unique, but that's not what I'm referring to), IB has more of a potential to be a disaster. 

Most guests, for instance, would take Wifi connection to be a given. What, I can't watch Netflix? If you live somewhere where that's not the case, guests could arrive, assuming that there's constant, unlimited internet (yes, even if you stated clearly in your listing that there wasn't) and be upset about this, demand a refund, etc. 

Many hosts live in areas where the majority of guests would be arriving by car. So if it's a 10 minute drive to the nearest big supermarket, it's no big deal. If most of your guests fly in, take the bus, etc, and don't have transportation, and it's a 20 minute walk into town, hosts need to make sure that guests are clear on this before booking. 

Living in the tropics, I can often ascertain through pre-booking messages whether the guest has traveled widely, has been to this area before, or is just some city slicker who thinks coming to the beach in Mexico is going to be just like the magazine pictures and will have a major freak-out if they see a spider, an ant or a cockroach, which are endemic to the area and have nothing to do with whether you keep a clean home. It wouldn't make me decline the booking, but I'll have a better idea of how I might have to present such possibilities to a guest when they arrive. A guest who tells me they come here every year or two, or did a two year stint in a mud hut village in the jungle somewhere,  I know I won't have to stress to them that they shouldn't leave food or food wrappers lying about their bedroom.

I know that even hosts with listings that are in quite civilized places that have all the amenities and bells and whistles that one would expect in a city or suburb have IB guests arrive who haven't thoroughly read the listing, arrive thinking they're getting an entire house, when it's a private room in a shared home, among other misconceptions. So you can just imagine how much more of this hosts who have off-the-beaten-track listings would be dealing with if we used IB.

And, in my case, as a single female hosting a private room in my home for 1 guest only, about 70% of my guests tend to be women travelling on their own, (I accept male guests and the ones I've had have been great) usually between the ages of 30-60. I've found this demographic to be wonderful guests and they are not the least bit interested in Instant Booking. They like to communicate with the host before committing to a booking, it makes them more comfortable to have some sense of the host whose home they are thinking of staying in.