When you ask/require your guests to remove their shoes...

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

When you ask/require your guests to remove their shoes...

Hi all,

Lizzie asked us about carpet vs hard-flooring, and a number of you commented that you either expected or required a guest to remove their shoes when entering your home.

I understand the feeling, AND... have a perspective?

When I lived in Japan, it was (of COURSE) required that you remove your street shoes.  HOWEVER, there were slippers available for you to wear in the house. Not exactly fashionable, but I do understand the purpose.

* many women wear extremely thin 'hosiery'

* some shoes do not require socks, and walking bare-foot seems a bit strange (?)

* this custom sort of precudes taking a walk out into someone's 'back yard' right?  What do you do?  Rush to the front, get your shoes, then take them out back?

In my home, I have mats outside and inside of every entry.  This is where you 'wipe' your shoes (on both sides of the entry) before/as you enter the house. 

I also do not have carpet, so clean-up is easy.

Of course, if there is mud (?) or rain, well... this is San Diego, so I suppose we'd just deal with it in whatever way.  (Almost never happens here!)

What are your thoughts?

Best

Kim
70 Replies 70
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

My thoughts are that wearing shoes in a house is really unsanitary. The soles of those shoes may have walked through spit, powdered dog doo doo, etc. and certainly generic grime. Wiping on a mat doesn't counteract this. For homes with children, or family-friendly listings, kids sit and play on the floor.

I really don't get your comment that walking barefoot is "strange". Where I live, it's warm, and lots of people are barefoot almost all the time at home, including me. I wouldn't walk barefoot on the city streets, but in my house and yard, am always barefoot.

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

I once popped in my flat because guests had asked for some extra equipment which I happened to have at hand. When i rang to the apartment used by this young couple, this young man opened the door with a smile while his girlfriend was watching tv while eating in bed. 

I know it does not have anything to do with keeping shoes inside but I am sure you can all so well relate.  (Thumbs up if you do) 

@Lilian20   Eating breakfast over the computer keyboard is another good one.

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

nice one, 

@Sarah977

just because you like to walk barefoot doesnt mean everyone else does

What is your problem, @Dee9?  Did I say everyone likes walking barefoot? Did I say that they should? I said I didn't think it was "strange".

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Shoes outside, @Kimberly54, slippers (available) inside, whether it's my students, guests, family or friends. I don't have time for cleaning floors day and night - right now temperatures at about -10°C.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Hi @Sarah977, ok the naked feet-issue may be situational, but my question and point I'm sort of getting to is that, like @Marzena4 said, slippers are available.  So no one has to go around in socks or delicate/costly stockings. (And some types of stockings are SERIOUS business!)

Thank you both for the reply.

Best,

Kim
Gary-And-Rose0
Level 7
Chemainus, Canada

We live in BC Canada. Everyone removes shoes out of respect. Whats wrong with plain old socks. 

Its my home I feel I can request this of guests as they enter it. Not to seem harsh but who wants muddy carpets?

Hi @Gary-And-Rose0, I suppose it depends upon your clientelle.  (You must have missed the carpets vs hard floors discussion!)

Men's dress socks and women's expensive hosiery is what I'm essentially referring to.  Having lived this experience personally, I do understand.  But if there is no alternate at the front door other than whatever you have (or don't) on your feet... it seems a bit unkind.

In Japan, I would have left my outdoor shoes in the entry and put on my indoor slippers.  We had extra pairs for guests.  But to ask a guest to just mosy around in their socks or stockings (these are 'under-garments' in my book), or naked feet would be aghast.  No host or guest would ever.

Just my experience. 

Interesting, eh?

Kim
Gary-And-Rose0
Level 7
Chemainus, Canada

It would feel odd for me to go into anyones home without removing my shoes. Its respectful

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Slippers are available here, too, @Kimberly54. The treehouse is on a riverbank, and lots of guests clomp inside in their muddy boots. I don't blame them - the floor is cold. It is also easy to clean. But for those who want an option to a wet floor, and because I would rather not clean up mud, no matter how "easy", there is a large tin filled with various sizes of thick knit slippers in handy reach. I do have the same sort of arrangement in the entry of the main house. It was inspired by a guesthouse run by Japanese hosts in Toronto at which I stayed long before Airbnb hit the scene. I use up odds and ends of wool to knit the things, so they are several levels of unbecoming, but they do keep the floors cleaner.

Could you attach an image of these knit slippers or link me to a pattern on Ravelry?  This sounds like a great idea!  I want to make some!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kimberly54  Yes, different cultures, totally dfferent. As you can see from the posts above, Canadians are accustomed to taking their shooes off at the door and Canadians walk around the house in slippers or socks, which are no way considered undergarments. And people who live in warm climates are often barefoot or live in flip-flops.

I remember reading somewhere that in Victorian England, covers were put on the legs of tables and chairs because they were considered "indecent". No joke.