Why are guests allowed to pick "Arrival Times" before our Check-in time?

Joshua227
Level 2
Mobile, AL

Why are guests allowed to pick "Arrival Times" before our Check-in time?

This one is driving me nuts and correct me if I'm wrong or there is a setting for this.

My "check in window" is After 3 PM.

My guests are able to put a Check-in time, when booking, of whatever they want. For instance, today's guest picked 1PM-3PM. 

I know I can see this if I click "Details" or in the e-mail sent from AirBNB when the reservation is made but why is this allowed? Why doesn't AirBNB pop up this big warning that says "The host's check in window is X." when any time is put in before? I don't always read or notice the details with many bookings and now I have to keep an eye out for people ignoring the listing page? I don't even blame the guest as the booking system could stop the reservation in the tracks if an invalid time is picked - its not difficult.

Am I missing a setting or is this an intended feature? 

With self-check in codes being generated and scheduled, this also means the door won't work without manual intervention. Even if I notice the desired check-in from a guest - it could be a deal breaker since the guest has booked based upon this time. It just seems to create animosity before a guest even checks in if it is addressed. 

1 Reply 1

@Joshua227:

Go into your listing admin panel where you can see the calendar. Click on "Availability settings" located at the top right corner of the calendar. Scroll down the page to the "Check-in and checkout" section. Make sure you have a specific time for the "check-in start time" as well as the check-out time."

One more place: Click "Booking settings." Scroll down to "Policies" at the bottom of the page and set your times there too.

You should also put the check-in and checkout times somewhere in your listing's narrative and add them as an addition in the house rules people have to agree to during the booking process.

With all that said, we still have people constantly messaging requesting early check-in and late checkout. We actually had a guest tell us this past week he would be arriving at 11 AM for a home that has a listed check-in time of 4 PM.