Why is my response rate less than 100%?

Justin23
Level 1
Portland, OR

Why is my response rate less than 100%?

I have responded to every booking request within 24 hours, and now all of a sudden my response rate is 83%. I definitely did not miss one, since I'm a new host and haven't had that many come through.

If you're having a conversation with someone that already booked with you, do you as the host have to have the last word in the conversation, or else it counts as "not responsive"? That's the only thing I could think of - I was chatting with a future guest and the conversation was over, the only thing I could add is "okay" but it would be pointless, and now my response rate shows less than 100%. I'm trying to hit Superhost this month, but I might have a hard time if the system dings me on things that are not reasonable.

2 Replies 2
David281
Level 1
Honolulu, HI

air bnb kind of sucks at this. 

They won't tell you what they expect and seem to arbitrarily knock down those rates. 

Best of luck reaching a human that actually works at air bnb to answer your question. 

Aloha

David 

Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10
Rochester, WA

You know Justin, I think you may have something here.  We're brand new hosts, I happen to not be working right now, so I have been able to reply to every one inquiry and booking request within 10 minutes or less.  (Not something I'll be able to keep up.)  Initially, my Response Rate was 100 percent, and it actually said, "Within an hour."  However, for the past two days my Response Rate is 90 percent!  And I STILL am responding, replying, etc. to all of the inquiries and requests within an hour.  I can't figure out where the 90 percent came from??

Now, I'm wondering if we need to keep a parlay up - as you suggest.  When a Guest or someone inquiring writes "Thank you," then I must write back, "You're welcome."  That's actually pretty asinine, but your explanation makes total sense when I've been devoted to nothing but responding to folks on Airbnb for a week.  I actually do get an email from Airbnb when someone writes, "Thanks," that says, "You can reply directly to ___ by replying to this message."  Like you, I think that this is an expecation of Airbnb!!

Can anyone out there confirm whether this is what Airbnb is measuring in our Response Time?