Why my listing went from page 1 to the page 5? Behind listing without review, higher price...

Jean5
Level 1
Brussels, Belgium

Why my listing went from page 1 to the page 5? Behind listing without review, higher price...

My listing has been very well ranked for the last 5years, on the first page or second most of the time

Since end of November, it is on the 5th page,

called Airbnb so called "customer service"which roboticly repeated to me that they couldnt do anything about it since it is computerly ranked. After 10 minutes he told me he would let the IT department know.

Result for me, no booking for the last 6weeks, never happened in 5 years... catastrophic situation.

I know Brussels had a lock down for a few days - friends having location in the center got a few cancellation but no major change (20% less booking)

I went from last december 98% occupation to 30% occupation and no booking in January... never seen in 5 years!

I have

5 stars reviews,

Super host status,

Instant booking,

Airbnb photographer,

Great location,

Answer to all messages within couple of hours

Did anyone activated the smart pricing and got issue with it, was wondering if that could be the issue?

Even went to AIrbnb Open which was cut short and to be honest wasnt really worth it since the interesting worshops where fully booked.

How can bad listing be put before good ones?

When I say bad, I mean ones without official pictures, no reviews, no stars, not complete and further out the center of the city and sometimes even more expensive...

Since the customer service is so hopeless, if someone has an answer to me, would be greatful.

Thanks.

Jean

6 Replies 6
Nuno-Y-Daniel0
Level 9
Porto, Portugal

Airbnb ranks some new places posted in the top for awhile in order to get the first bookings. It happens with all, yours included in the beginning.

November is the low season there so there are much places free now and you drop some pages.

Other reason, it's like google algorithm when it gets new updates: Good for ones bad for others. 

Check if Instant Booking is on and you did drop the price for this season.

If things are like in Porto, 5 years Airbnb it was a small secret and now it's not. It may have been some boom of new listings in Brussels on Airbnb. 

Nuno-Y-Daniel0
Level 9
Porto, Portugal

Made a quick check on your listing. Price is quite great for Brussels and you have there a lovely apartment. No problem with price. Cleaning is high for our standards. But seems okay there. Instante booking on. Internet available. Only one thing....that i experienced a bounce rate for awhile: Minimum 3 nights. 

Have changed for awhile from 2 for 3 and it made all the difference. Don't know if you changed that but it may help. 

Hi Jean,

I faced a similar problem. My listing went from number 1 to number 123 which is the last in my location (Panchgani)

Had a word with the Customer Service and they advised me to work on some places where I have got some negative reviews.

I still cannot understand how a #1 can drop to #123.

Replying to your post for ease of follow-up, let me know if you find any solution.

All the best,

Jeet

Constanza4
Level 1
Rancagua, Chile

Hi!

I ve had such a BAD experience with "smart pricing" too!

My apartment in viña del mar is nearly empty, fewer bookings than ever since I started it. I hope Im not ranked last too!!!

Anyone find a solution same thing has happened to me.

Sabine42
Level 10
Tucson, AZ

the so called customer service has always worked amazingly well for me. tone and attitude go a long way.