Would hosts want to know about this in a review?

Dionne1
Level 5
Philadelphia, PA

Would hosts want to know about this in a review?

Hello all, 

I was hosting a father and daughter from overseas and the visit for the most part has been fine. On the last night, something very unusual happened and it has left us feeling very strange. 

My husband and I keep an iPhone charger plugged into a surge protector by our couch. We usually charge our phones while watching tv in the evenings. Last night we could not find it; we searched for about hour. Not only was it gone, the surge protector was now filled with several phone and computer chargers that belonged to our guests. Not a big deal, except our own charger was missing.  When our guest finally returned from his day of sightseeing, I asked him if he had seen the charger. The conversation went like this:

Me: Hi, have you seen the iPhone charger that was plugged in by the couch? 

Him: Yes, it's upstairs.

Me: Why would it be upstairs? (with a puzzled look on my face)

Him: I didn't know it was yours. 

Me: What do you mean? Yes, it belongs to me. 

Him: Okay, I will get it to you right away. 

The tone of interactions changed after that. 

Now, I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. But I have this nagging feeling that if I didn't notice the charger was missing, it would have been gone for good. It left me with a strange feeling because, after all this is our home, not the free library. 

I'm wondering if you, as fellow hosts, would like to know about something like this in the reviews, or should I not mention it at all. Is this a sign that someone might like to help themselves to other people's items or do hosts expect small items to go missing from their shared spaces? I rely on reviews to help me determine if I should let someone into our home and imagine it's the same for others. I'm open to feedback from the group. 

Many thanks for your thoughts. 

7 Replies 7
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Dionne1 I wouldn't mention it, for a couple of reasons. One, it's possible that it was innocent: If there were a bunch of chargers, maybe it was a simple mistake. Two, nothing will get a review pulled faster than a suggestion of theft or other illegal activity.

Maybe get a label maker and label your chargers, or just leave some cheap ones in your common areas. I lose so many chargers on my own without guest assistance, and that's what I do. You can bulk buy them cheaply at electronics stores or on Amazon.

@Alexandra316 Thank you very much for your feedback. I will definitely mark the chargers. That is a great suggestion! Much appreciated. 

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Dionne1   I am assuming we are talking about shared accommodations here, meaning the guest have their private bedroom and share the rest of the house with you?  If so, I honestly don't see what the problem is.   It can be challenging to set proper boundaries when it comes to shared living spaces.   It is very likely that the guest assumed that it was ok to use the charger.  Accusing him of theft is simply wrong and doesn't make you, as a host, look good.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Recoup your loss.

Take all the chargers/electronics/clothing that guestshave left and sell  on Ebay.

Ricardo741
Level 6
Kingston, Jamaica

The guest seem like they are honest enough to say yes. I honestly didnt like your tone at all and would feel bad too. Chargers are important but not significant. You as a host probably didnt even have boundaries  for your guest. It could have been a honest mistake or maybe he borrowed the charger to return it later, given that it was left carelessly as if it could be used by anyone. Yes it is your property but that is very much trivial for host to fuss about.  Give the man a honest review and leave that part out. You may tell him about how you felt in a private note when making your review. 

@Dionne1 I think if the guests had a pattern of carelessness with your personal belongings, it would be worth noting in the review. A single incident that was quickly resolved, not so much.

If you don't have it already, I would suggest adding a highly visible power strip with at least 2 USB ports to the guest bedroom, and perhaps even pointing it out during check-in as their designated place to charge devices. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Dionne1 As others have said, let it go, it could have been an honest mistake. And mark your charger so future guests know it's obviously not theirs. 

I'm not sure why people leave chargers plugged in when not in use- did you know they suck electricity even when not charging your device?