Would you Airbnb all over again?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Would you Airbnb all over again?

We just bought our dream house-- an old Victorian that comes complete with an old barn we want to fix up as a guest house. We also have a little row house in an urban location that we are putting on the market to sell in addition to our weekend place that is more or less a guest house more than it is a weekend place.

We are doing renovations to the "new" (100 plus year old) house, and one of the plans is to convert the barn to its own self contained unit. My husband wants to make sure we have space for elderly parents who 1. don't like stairs (our house is pretty much nothing but) and 2. don't like bathtubs (we have some claw foot tubs in this monster we bought.)  In the meantime, I suggested that we could Airbnb the barn once its done. My husband does not want to deal with this platform any more than we already do. And if the row house doesn't sell, its quite risky to be a landlord in these times of COVID rent forgiveness, so STR through Airbnb would be an option for that too at least until we could figure out something more permanent.

So I ask you fellow hosts-- given everything that you know about Airbnb, would you do this again? Add to your portfolio? We generally have pretty good guests but turnover is a lot of work with all the enhanced cleaning protocols. We are about a half hour from our current cottage (hour round trip) so if we re-did our barn walking across the yard is definitely a shorter commute. But then you have people on your property.  

Would you do this all over again?

6 Replies 6
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Laura2592  A barn in the backyard.... I’m a huge fan 🙂

we’re doing the inverse of you. Already have the backyard barn, just bought lake property and breaking ground on a weekend place there. 

for us, it’s good real estate first, then STR offsets “some” expenses. 

In the future we might live in the barn & STR the big house. Or we could keep the barn for full-time STR & trade weekends where we STR our “town” house & lake house. 

I think so long as the STR is a part of your real estate strategy, but not the entirety of it then that isn’t as scary. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Great ideas! Specially because where you both happen to live;  a 'country living' theme could prove quite popular in the future, since the mentality of many may be 'back to basics'.

I been fundamentally a fan of Airbnb since I started with them 6 years ago, warts & all. I have said many, many times here before this virus occurred - 'Keep in mind these are the best of times', and they certainly were. Well, the hosting future could indeed be even better than in the past, for a whole different set of new reasons. I have personally doubled down on the future.

I would say yes.  We have been hosts for 5 years in Brooklyn and the added revenue from the additional unit in our home helped us justify buying our home.  For 4.5 of those years we rarely had any issues with guests. With the pandemic we've had to be selective about guests, but we are hopeful that by 2021 tourism to NYC will start to come back.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

We have listing in two locations, and either built from the ground up or have done major renovations to our properties.  We are able to keep things running pretty smoothly with the support of our property managers supplementing our hosting duties when we are away.  

When we are not onsite our property managers either visit daily or stay onsite.  Considering the way that we use Airbnb, I would still host again, because of the following conditions.

Our guesthouse in St. Lucia has always been listed on multiple platforms (other OTAs, our own websites and FB page) and Airbnb has never been our primary source for reservations.  Instant book is enabled with a strict cancellation policy, because there's limited opportunity to book rooms at short notice. We have not had a guest that was so horrible that I wanted to end their reservation early, and none have committed significant damage, because people cannot easily leave or disappear into obscurity.  One additional point for island life

We have a relatively new listing which is an apartment connected to our house in Atlanta.  At the moment it's only listed on Airbnb, because we just started in February, and then had a 3-1/2 month break before re-opening in July.  I plan to post it on other platforms in the next few weeks. There have been more issues with guests following the house rules or checkout list, and being respectful of someone else's property (taking USB cable, not wiping up large spills, leaving food in pans, not taking out their trash, etc.), but no significant damages.  The cancellation policy used to be strict, but now has a moderate cancellation policy, and we have updated the reservation requirements:  Instant book is still enabled and now host recommendation is checked along with profile photo and government ID.  Guests who do not meet these requirements can send booking requests. The booking lead time was changed from 1 day to 3 days, because I want an opportunity to communicate with the guest before arrival.  The booking window was shortened from 12 months to 3 months as a mitigation measure to prevent the calendar being blocked for several months before the end of the free cancellation period.  

I've always recommended that hosts shouldn't put all of their booking eggs in one basket.  When running properly, Airbnb provides a well-known platform and simplified method to get paid for reservations.  For that convenience, hosts are giving up total control of many important aspects of a reservation: no real damage deposit is collected, no arbitration for guest claims, slow/no response for host claims, and an inability to prevent refunds or deductions from upcoming payouts for non-qualified cancellations.  On the platforms where the host processes the payment, most of the aforementioned problems are resolved or never occur, but there more effort has to be put forth.  However, I don't think it's any more effort than trying to get a matter resolved through Airbnb.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Yes. Perfect timing, you will spend a lot of time renovating, by the time you are done hopefully things will look safer.  Congrats on new house!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592  As a home-share host who's never had any hassles with my guests,  once COVID is no longer a threat, I would be happy to have other similar spaces to rent out on Airbnb. There's a big difference between hosting where you live and hosting a stand-alone place. I think guests are a lot more respectful and less demanding when they are dealing with an on-site host.

So aside from outrageous stuff like hosts not getting paid on time, or at all, and the annoyance of tech glitches, if you never have to try to get in touch with Airbnb because of bad guests, lying reviews, or some refund hassle, (i.e. your guests present no issues that can't be dealt with amicably between you), then it's really not so bad as to decide not to use the platform at all.