Writing honest reviews

Cindy237
Level 5
Johannesburg, South Africa

Writing honest reviews

Hello hosts

There is too much discrepancy between the star ratings given to guests and their corresponding written review.

It is pointless to issue 1,2 or 3 stars for a guest in whichever category, if in the written review we are saying that he or she  “was a great guest and is welcome anytime”. They don’t see their star ratings, so to mark them down in categories doesn’t even help them to understand. All it does is leave the future host confused. 

One thought I have though, do you think the algorithm penalizes hosts who mark guests down....????

thanks for reading:)

10 Replies 10
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I find your question about the impact of host posting negative reviews to actually raise more questions for me, @Cindy237 .  What prompted this question for you?  I have had very few reasons for negative reviews, but haven't noticed any negative impact on my listing when I do.  Just curious.

Julie394
Level 4
Australia

Absolutely, not only that but I followed another listing in the same building - they had many bad reviews but strangely enough these bad reviews are being removed or hidden (not sure which one is it) without having a violation of the AirBnb content  guidelines. Also, AirBnb pushed up the only  bad review about my listing so that the bad review always stays on page 1 and great reviews that are more recent are pushed down so they are in the pages of long ago past reviews. I contacted them about this and they said that the review pages the potential guests see when they are searching are not the same for every search  - that is, they confirmed they tamper with the review pages. Something is definitely going on!

Cindy237
Level 5
Johannesburg, South Africa

@Julie394  Since hitting DO not RECOMMEND on three guests in a short space of time, I have noticed sudden drop in my ranking position. Three different listings. 🤔

Julie394
Level 4
Australia

What needs to happen is that we have to organise a petition of sort to force AirBnb to play fair - not sure how this can be done. We are not united community - some of my worst guests are hosts, then you have hosts who write nice reviews for all guests just to play the game. publicity to mainstream media may result it AirBnb discontinue the listing of the whistleblower host - in effect this is written in the contract we signed with Airbnb as hosts. Any ideas?

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Cindy237  of course none of us will never know for sure, but I have wondered the same in the past... I do think search position is penalized for hosts who downrate guests

and, not to place ideas, but I've wondered if at some point ABB will silence the complainers by posting on Host profiles the averages of how we have rated guests. Those of us who are honest about bad guests will not like that day

Then again, maybe ABB will ditch the whole rating system since it's become an unwieldy, untrustworthy mess

Julie394
Level 4
Australia

Totally agree - ABB  is completely aware that if the admit they are doing  something like that openly, they would be legally liable,  so they are still doing it but in a way that is not easily traceable. That is, when I do a search on my listing for the vacant nights, I am given the result that shows my listing is available.  This is done by identifying my IP address. However, if the search is not done from my IP address the search results are different to what I see when I search and the reviews are not sequential by date - bad review is always on page 1, although it was not the most recent. As I mentioned before, I was told that if the search is not done by me, but a potential guest somewhere in the world,  the search results are different to what I see when I search -  this is what they said when a spoke to the ABB on the phone. 

Bottom of Form

Matt682
Level 9
Hednesford, United Kingdom

@Cindy237 @Julie394 @Kelly149 @Linda108 

I’ll caveat this with a, I don’t work for ABB but I know a little about computers...

Firstly, ABB CS won’t be able to answer your questions because the logic built in to the system will be completely unknown to them. They don’t know the answer, and realistically, they probably don’t even know who does know the answer. Generally speaking though...

The search algorithms and listing prioritisation will be designed to be “smart”. That is, they will adjust rankings based on what it thinks will maximise that person’s experience.

If you have a single outlying review, I had 1 bad retaliatory review out of 130, the algorithm buries it at the bottom. If it was 1 out of say 15, it may not do that as it determines that 1/15 is more relevant than 1/130. It determines that future guests don’t want to see the outliers - if the others are more helpful it will promote those.

In terms of searching, if your IP address or device with cookies or whatever, always searches for your own listing (maybe you’re checking how it looks), then it remembers and puts your listing first as it assumes that’s what you want - even if that particular time you wanted to check out the local competition. However, if someone else arrives to your local area, and they always look for “whole places run by Superhosts” whether they apply a filter or not there will be an element of content management to promote the places it thinks they want to see.

The same process happens in search engines. Try searching a bunch of articles about a particular tv franchise, and eventually when you search for a famous actor their cameo role in that franchise will come up before their bigger roles in others because it assumes that’s what you mean.

It’s the way computer designers try to make platforms improve user experience because each of us searches slightly differently and wants different answers. They are simply trying to give what they think are the best possible answers to everyone who uses them.

Regarding negative guest reviews, it could be argued that host-guest conflicts reduce repeat business, therefore it makes business sense to promote listings that it perceives to have more amenable hosts, and it helps those more tolerant hosts get more bookings too. It wants to try to manage out hosts who are ‘bad for business’ and that’s fair. But there is a massive HOWEVER...

What if by pure bad luck you get three bad guests in a row? What happens long term with this policy? Are hosts being incentivised to give bad guests good ratings and therefore perpetuating the problem?

Algorithms can’t read you mind, and they are only as good as their designers, so it’s understood they aren’t perfect but that they hit more than they miss. Unfortunately, without knowing the logic it’s hard for us hosts to know what’s expected of us, and it’s inevitable that sometimes we will be hurt by them.

I’m not really sure what to do to solve the problem though, short of asking @Stephanie to find the right team and feed back scenarios where it doesn’t work so they can improve the programming.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

i agree with @Matt682 that abb considers it “bad for business” for hosts to do several things that are actually quite important for the long-term viability of their personal business (which is truly not the same thing as the long-term viability of ABB’s business)

in no particular order these are:

-collect security deposits

-have rules

-enforce rules 

Similarly ABB would like us all to believe that all hosts are 5* hosts and all guests are 5* guests. Neither of these is true. Consequently the abb review system is fairly useless. 

Academically I know that it would “be better for business” to always give 5* guest reviews. But I can’t bring myself to do it

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kelly149  I would add to your list "Declines". Hosts who use IB have seen their IB get temporarily suspended for "too many" declines, and others see their search ranking go down. Declines being "bad for business". Airbnb's business, that is, not ours. You'd think they'd realize that since hosts are doing this to earn money, that we don't decline bookings on some whim, there's a good reason. And if we didn't decline the ones we don't feel okay about, then CS would be even busier trying to mitigate host/guest issues. But that doesn't seem to matter.

Also blocking off dates on one's calendar seems to trigger the algorithm to lower serach ranking. Heaven forbid we actually take a wee vacation ourselves or let our friends and family stay over, instead of guests. We should tell our families to just go book someone else's Airbnb when they want to come visit, right?

Julie394
Level 4
Australia

Ebay broadcast their policy to " monitor messages sent through eBay for fraud, abuse, spam and other violations of our policy" . Notice the word ABUSE. ABB, in contrast, would happily allow verbal ABUSE in the reviews by guests. This must stop. ABB must either include verbal ABUSE as a policy violation  or remove any text in the reviews.  ABB would remove a review where it is mentioned that they are involved in resolving the issue, however, would not remove a review where the guests are either lying and/or are abusive - which universe were the ABB guidelines copywriters  orbiting? This is a morally corrupt logic and must stop!