advice please

Leah3
Level 2
Oakland, CA

advice please

Hi,

My posts keep disappearing! A guest arrived today who was supposed to stay for a month. About two weeks ago he contacted me saying he was rehabbing his ankle and how far was it from the parking place to the door. I told him it was 15 steps and that he could not park closer because I park my car there in order to charge it (it's a Volt). In my description, I mention that my driveway is steep, which he had read because he mentioned it. Today, after he arrived, and unpacked he told me he didn't think he could stay unless he could park closer because of his ankle. He also asked me to do his laundry instead of walking up to do it himself and also asked about a list of other things...I was trying to be nice and said I would think about whether I could park my car differently so he could have my spot but after thinking about it I don't want to do that. I need to access the garage etc. So, assuming he decides to leave how much of a refund should I give?  I have a strict cancellation policy and will get his whole payout tomorrow. I don't know if I will be able to rebook it or not. On the other hand, I don't want a horrible review and I want to do the right thing.  As of now I've just messaged him that I can't give him a different parking place. Has anyone had a similar situation? How did you handle it? Thank you!

7 Replies 7
Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Sounds to me like he has an extenuating circumstance and he can probably go that route with airbnb should he wish to. To answer your question if it were me I'd bite the bullet and probably refund him the unused per night amount (at whatever your monthly discounted rate is if I liked him or at full rate if I didn't) minus service/cleaning fees. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Leah3 

Leah, he does sound like an entiled guest who will continually want something you did not state in your listing description. 

Incidentally Leah, what was his walking like when he arrived? Was his movement challenged in any way. What walking assistance did he require to negotiate your steep driveway??

I have found in the past when a reservation request that starts out OK suddenly seems to get bogged down in issues before the guest has even arrived, I get onto CX and I explain my situation and how I have fears that neither I or Airbnb will come out of this stay well.....the agents asks if I would like the stay cancelled on the grounds that I don't feel comfortable with proceeding. That is a perfectly legitimate reason for a neutral cancellation. I at that point say...."Look I want to try and do the right thing and I don't want to lose the money involved but, can you please leave this ticket open and if I do strike problems I can't handle can I expect your support"!

In each instance I have been assured that I will have the company's support and CX have been great to deal with. They have followed up and I could not have asked for more.

Leah, you just never know how these things will go, but it sounds like this guest may request a refund for the entire one month stay. The thing you have up your sleeve is that a one month booking is classified as a long term stay and the guest is obligated to give 30 days notice of departure and that 30 day refund or any part of it, is at the hosts discretion. You will need to approve a refund in order for the guest to get it! 

Now is the time to sort out a solution with CX as to what refund you should offer remembering that it was he who chose to book your listing in spite of your house rules not because of them!

Cheers.......Rob

Leah3
Level 2
Oakland, CA

Thanks ! I’ve actually never contacted CX but it sounds like a good idea. 

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Leah3 

Yes, contact support right away.  Tell them what is happening. Do not offer this guy anything on your own. Use the message board so the support people can see what is transpiring. You have been honest with the guest and have a strict cancelation policy. Stand firm.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Leah3   While it is understandable that your perspective of dealing with a guest who is becoming increasingly entitled would lead other hosts to warn you to proceed in a defensive and protective way, I wonder if your guest is authentically trying to negotiate a new physical situation.  Perhaps he has never had to deal with this type of physical restriction and didn't realized the impact.  Perhaps he is an entitled person in general.  Could you sit down with him and have an honest discussion about the suitability of your listing for his needs? Don't think you need to give up your parking space or any other life style routines, but demonstrating your honest concern might be the ticket.  Otherwise or maybe as a result of the conversation, you can go to Air BNB and cancel the reservation due to unforeseen circumstances.  Good luck and keep us posted how it turns out.

Leah3
Level 2
Oakland, CA

Thanks so much for all the helpful advice. I called airbnb and they said while I do not have to give him any refund they suggest the people work it out between them. I decided that I would refund him, once he is out, for the unused dates, deducting cleaning and airbnb fees. Another thing I need to research is how to free up my calendar once he is gone. Do I modify the reservation or does he need to cancel it? 

@Leah3  You can modify the booking to change the checkout date, and that will free up your calendar and also allow you to choose the amount of the refund.