canceling a reservation

canceling a reservation

Hi:  set up my airbnb last night and forgot to put in cleaning and security deposit.  Had a reservation made this am, and spoke with Guest stating I did not add those fees.   Went back and added the cleaning and security deposit.  Noticed that changes made after reservations did not apply.  Guet decided to not stay and asked me to cancel the reservation.  Tried to do that and noticed I get charged some type of penalty.  Asked Guest to cancel, and she did not want to pay the penalty as well.  Can you please guide me on this?  thought there was a 24 hour window

6 Replies 6
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Patricia1511 You can't retroactively try and charge a guest extra fees or change the pricing: that violates Airbnb's rules. You have to make sure that you listing is set up correctly the way that you want it before it goes live. If you cancel, penalties are applied.

Personally, if it were me, I would honor the rate and leave it at that: just chalk it up to experience. There is no such thing  as a security deposit on Airbnb: there is an amount that the guest MAY be charged if they cause damage. No money is held to cover damage.

If you really can't see your way clear to eating the cleaning fee, I would contact Airbnb and plead igorance and try and get them to waive the penalties.  Here's a help guide on how to do that:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide-UPDATED/m-p/413245

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Patricia1511

NEVER cancel on your end when a guest asks you to. In this case, the guest has 48 after the booking is made to cancel without penalty. In other words they will get the service fees back. Have this guest cancel asap. Personally, if I were you I would honor this reservation as is.

https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

@Patricia1511 You must never ever cancel a reservation. If a guest wants to cancel the guests must do the cancellation. The guest can send you a request and ask you to cancel. Never ever do that either. About the cleaning fee. Just eat this mistake you did. Don't ask guests to pay extra because you messed up 🙂

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

@Patricia1511 The guest has a 48 hour grace period to cancel. But only if the booking is I think it is more than 30 days away. I recommend to read in this forum. I have learned so much myself  🙂

Rod-and-Paula0
Level 2
Hallandale Beach, FL

Agreed with the group, suck it up on this reservation and get smart on the next one, happened to me in the beginning, apologize for the mistake and move on. 

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Patricia1511: You will make some mistakes that will cost you a few bucks here and there. Its the learning curve. If its on you (like this situation) then you eat the cost. You should have just said "opps" and set it up correctly for the next booking.

**I checked out your listing. Very nice but you really need to let some sunlight in. I would honestly retake your pictures with the shades and curtains open. Wayyyy to dark inside. Sunlight is your friend in pictures.**