damages

Kari25
Level 1
Forest Grove, OR

damages

I have never required a security deposit. I currently have a guest that has broken a window. the replacement cost is very high, about $800.oo. she came to me and said she would pay for it, until she saw the quote. Now she tells me it happend spontaneously. Since i don't have a security deposit, what can I do?

6 Replies 6
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Kari25 uh... very expensive window ...

browse ABB for answers about how to claim damage request. You have to do everything in a certain time frame and properly following procedure.

You have to have photos, video, receipe for repair (not from some handy man but from official window repair shop or however you call it) ... and then hope for the best...

custom window in an airstream rv trailer

$800 is not a very expensive window. Maybe in Croatia where the  stuff is sub par and not per manuf spec.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Unless the guest admits resonsibility realisticall nothing you can do. Even if you had an AirBnB Security Deposit.

David
Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

Is the guest suggesting the window "spontaneously" broke itself? Is the part where she originally offered to pay for the repair on Airbnb messenger? If the admission of breaking the window and offer to pay are on the Airbnb messenger platform, then Airbnb can see all of that when you get them involved. 

Al41
Level 2
Temple Hills, MD

Sorry to hear of your loss. Like someone said below,  it may be past the 7 or 15 day period for AIRBNB , but if she admitted to it in writing, then you can require airbnb to release her ID info (heck subpaena them for it) and you can settle it in small claims court.

Most courts process claims under $5000.

Dont listen to those who tell you theres nothing you can do.

Please do update us on what happened. Treat this as a very costly lesson NOT to trust people's good will esp if you think she is a lady like you or has some familarity/affinity to you.  When it comes to $$$, peoples real side comes out.