difficult guests

Liz140
Level 4
Danville, IN

difficult guests

Hi guys!

I do instant book and don't want to give that up, as I get lots of extra guests that way. But I'm getting at least one long term stay per month with someone who is between homes, jobs etc. and generally becomes a very difficult guest. They sort of move in and take over and become very manipulative, or exhibit ocdc behaviors like rearranging the bathroom rugs every morning. Worse, even though I live in a premier vacation spot they rarely leave the building. I work from home and find it difficult to concentrate while listening to them performing very. very elaborate daily routines.

Im wondering if my listing attracts these people, it leads with "quiet zen-like environment". Suggestions?

7 Replies 7
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Liz140 perhaps recalibrate your settings to limit how long guests can stay? or reduce the amount of discount given to longer stays so at least if they're annoying you can be counting money in your head to help you not mind as much.

Also, there's always tightening up your rules "guests should be planning on being out and about during the day since I'll be working from home most days and we'll both appreciate having a break from one another...."??

@Liz140 Just like @Kelly149 suggested, don't be afraid to tweak your description to eliminate those you are not looking forward to. And that's true, long term stays generate more issues (I do only short term ones).

Thanks @Kelly149 for the wording - I was looking for something like that myself. 🙂

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Liz140, would it work to shorten your maximum length stay?

I looked at your listing. It seems very nice. Maybe people choose it because it seems like a place to feel welcome when you have nowhere else to go?

Susie5
Level 10
Boston, MA

Hi @Liz140

I do think the "zen-like" listing may attract people who lack peace in their own selves and are looking to find it with you...not your job! I notice that she was specializing in "trauma" counseling so she might have needed extra de-stressing.  Also the price is low enough that people can afford to hang out for long stays.  Your photos have lots of reassuring zen-things which may attract "lost souls" although the red bedspread etc. seems to be more fire than ice!  That said, you're a superhost (congrats!) and have tons of great reviews and I wouldn't worry about the impact of one or two. 

I looked at her reviews and indeed, while many liked her, there were others who didn't get on with her.  You might download the "AirReview" extension for Chrome which enables you to see not only reviews OF her by guests, but also reviews BY her of her hosts.  You might pick up a red flag or two there, which would be particularly useful for a long term guest - I'd be wary of them although in this slow season (In Boston), I'd welcome a longer term guest about now!  Although if you're on IB, I'm not sure how useful it would be to know more about them.  I couldn't figure out what your length of stay was but I'd limit it to no more than a month - mine is set at 29 days.  Maybe 2 weeks and then you can reevaluate if it's' going well.... Good luck!

I agree with the use of the AirReview extension. It is very useful.

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Well we do get one or two that are good but remember this my house is to be respected,my zen respect my house my house will respect you especially for long term, remember that safety first 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Shorter stays lessens the risk of getting stuck with a guest that is less than ideal.