reduced rate request because of funeral to attend

Monika274
Level 3
Wilson, NY

reduced rate request because of funeral to attend

I am a new host - 1 week! I booked two reservations already and the third has just sent me an inquiry about reducing my price for her 4-day stay (3 adults) because they have to come up for a funeral and didn't anticipate this expense.  My rate was already reduced by 20% due to the promotion I ran for the first 3 reservations.  I would like to know what to say without offending her?  My price is 135 per night for 4, with the reduced promotion it was 108.00 but she offered 50!!!  I already sent her a message stating I would be willing to help her at 100/night and now she is asking for 80.  I want to delete my 24-hour promotional rate and send a message but would like advice from veteran hosts as to how to politely do this.  Any suggestions?  Thank you so much!!

Monika

37 Replies 37

@Monika274 I would strongly discourage you from accepting guests who try to haggle over prices. They tend to be the ones experienced hosts report some of their worst experiences with. It makes sense, as people who undervalue your home and ask you to take a pay cut have already demonstrated a certain lack of respect.

One important thing to know is that, unlike a binding Reservation Request, you are not obliged to accept or decline an Inquiry. You need only reply to the initial inquiry, which you have already done. You've made a kind offer to the guest, and if they choose not to accept it they are free to book somewhere within their budget.

@Anonymous Thank you!!  I sent the new pricing to her through the 'special offer' link, does it reflect badly on me as a host if I withdraw that offer?  I can't find the answer to that question on the site.

@Monika274  There is no penalty or impact on your standing with Airbnb if you withdraw a Special Offer, and you always have the right to block any unbooked dates that you please. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Like @Anonymous say, @Monika274, beware of hagglers. As for this group, well, the unscrupulous amongst us would block out one of the days, making the boking 'unavailable'. I fear it's going to be trouble otherwise. 

@Gordon0 Thank you for the advice about blocking a day!

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Monika274   Funeral or not--it's never ok to haggle for a lower rate.  You can't do it with a hotel--why would you do it with an Airbnb?!  Your rate is already super-low due the promotion.  I would not accept the reservation if I were you.  I made that mistake when I first started hosting and allowed a booking at a lower rate; the guests turned out to be "piggies" and I ended up cleaning for an extra two hours.  I would do what Gordon suggested: simply block one of the requested days on your calendar and don't waste any more time on these people.

@Ann489 Thank you so much for your feedback!! 🙂 

I'm glad everyone agrees on this. Irks me to no end thay I have the lowest rate in town and people want lower...

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Try putting your prices up @Zappa0 and you are less likely to attract guest looking to haggle. 🙂 

@Helen3 my listing is like camping so can't go too high. I'm sure there's a sweet spot somewhere though

Mark1412
Level 5
Michigan, United States

You can haggle with hotels. I don't know how common it is today with on-line booking but it was very common before all the booking service came on-line. If the hotel has a lot of vacant rooms, they would reduce their rates to fill those rooms. I have worked at many hotels and they all where flexible with the rates. I think today the "smart prices" does a lot of that for the clerk but I would think most would still be willing to work with you if they had rooms that was going to go unrented.

I would argee with you.. I wold not accept this reservation.. I think the host would be inviting problems. This is not one of those cases where I would haggle. The offer of $50.00 on a $135.00 rental says a lot.

I don't understand why people think just because they have an unexpected expense that the host should lower their fees, the power company will not lower their fees because the customer had a guest who attended a funeral. The insurance company doesn't care and will not reduce their rates.. the cost of renting the room remains the same no matter if a funeral in involved or not.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Unfortunately, cons know that you are new and will abuse 😞  Sorry.

Consider this an opportunity to become a detached professional. 

Learn how to smile as you say "So sorry, I cannot offer you a discount"

@Paul154 Thank you I will do just that!

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Monika274   In future, just tell everyone that you're very sorry, the listing is already a great value and you aren't financially able to offer any additional discount.

In this case, I'm notsure if I would rescind the special offer but I'd expect that these guests will be a problem and may leave a lower than 5 star review.