rental fee wrongly charged

Valerie283
Level 3
Katoomba, Australia

rental fee wrongly charged

We test-drived our listing by booking 2 nights which is the minimum we asked for.

It came back with a rental fee of $119.00.  It should be $120.00 as it is $60.00 a day, no discount.

We couldn't understand it.  It is the same no matter we set to base price or smart pricing.

Could someone please explain?

5 Replies 5
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Valerie283It's because the Airbnb system converts between currencies, and it often results in discrepancies. You're not doing anything wrong: that's just the way it is. 

Why would they need to do the conversion while the guest and host are in the same country?

Moreover, aren't they supposed to pay for what the host expects because the host requests and the guest is supposed to meet the requirement if they are interested.  What the host asks for should be the target amount for the conversion.

Airbnb shouldn't do the job at their convenience and at the cost of the host.

@Valerie283 Because it's not an Australian company. The money gets passed though international banks. It doesn't matter that you're both in the same country.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Valerie283 @Alexandra316  

Valerie, the fee that will charged does fluctuate as a result of currency conversions but that should not have been an issue enquiring about your own listing here in Australia, but my listing does the same thing and fluctuate a dollar either side of my set amount of $85 AU.......most always, a dollar below! 

Valerie, the other thing that will affect what you will receive, since July 1st 2017 Airbnb in Australia have been required to pay a VAT of 10% on their service fee charge and although that should only add 36 cents to a $120 booking Airbnb do add this to their service charge and this could also be a contributing factor. It means less that you will receive.

The problem is, these amounts are so small that it seems pointless making an issue of it and it is highly probable that you will not get a relevant answer if you do query it.

If it is a major concern I would lift your nightly listing amount by $1 to take care of these fluctuations. I don't think many prospective guests will be swayed by 1 dollar.

I am sorry Valerie it sounds vague but I can't give you a better answer.

How are you going up there in the hills? Not too many bushfire issues with this heat I hope!!

Cheers.......Rob

Thanks for your input.  Certainly $1.00 is not much but we would still like to be clear how everything comes about as much as possible, so that we could achieve better efficiency and effectiveness.

Thanks anyway.  We appreciate it.

Yes the weather is very hot here.  A number of days are 40 degrees and above.