reservation request response time

Jennifer113
Level 1
Clermont-l'Hérault, France

reservation request response time

Hello, I received an email saying that time on my calendar would be blocked for failing to respond a second time within 24 hours to a reservation request.  I don’t understand why.  I responded to the request within 24 hours with answers to the person's questions and questions of my own and now the guest has made a formal reservation request that we are going to accept. His first request had questions and he had no background on airbnb so we needed to exchange some emails to make sure we were “right for each other” so to speak. Not all of that can be done in 24 hours. I think this policy is unfair and does not apply to his type of situation. How do I avoid this in the future?  Thank you.

6 Replies 6
Brittany1
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Hi @Jennifer113

There are two different types of requests. A reservation request and a reservation inquiry. A reservation request is this kind you received. You have 24 hours to accept or decline. Next time you need more time to talk with the guest just kindly tell them you are going to decline so that you can have more time to discuss before booking. It's not the best system I agree but it's really important that you respond with an accept or decline within 24 hours so that you aren't penalized.

Yes but if you do that Airbnb log it as a decline and your listing goes down in the search list, from what other community members have said.

Abnb states in its Faqs that decling reservations as many times as you like does not affect your standing.  Is this not true?  Havent had to do it. Myself, but good to know.

Esther68
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi Amy, i got conflicting information to you when i enquired.

Enda0
Level 7
London, United Kingdom

As far as I know, if you respond with a message, this is acceptable as your response to an Enquiry. You don't have to pre-approve or decline, just respond.

But if you have a Request, you have to accept or decline within 24 hours. 

Birgit0
Level 3
Long Beach, CA

I have a lot of requests from overseas and 24 hrs is too short, considering the time difference.  I have had a lot of hassles with that.