resolution refund

Kristina17
Level 1
Lake Oswego, OR

resolution refund

We have hosted hundreds of people at our house. Very few complaints (one was there was paving by our house). We are a Super Host, and have 29 reviews that are almost all five stars on our site. Today I got a request from a guest who stayed two weeks ago for a $1200 refund (not the full payment, but almost). They didn't communicate ANY of their unhappiness with me—this is the FIRST I have heard of it. She was unhappy with the cleanliness of our home mostly, but honestly, we have never had another complaint, so I don't know what to do with that. We had it professionally cleaned. I sense that she's high maitenenace. 

We are okay to "make it right" and maybe work with her, but I have no idea what would even be appropriate. Refund her the cleaning fee because she felt like it wasn't clean enough for her? She also said they left early, but she didnt' tell me that. How she got $1200 seems totally random and crazy high.

What's resonable? Again, this guest was here over two weeks ago.

Kristina 

4 Replies 4

@Kristina17

Call Airbnb and talk to them first.

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Hosts/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165/highlight/true...

Also take a look at the Refund Policy, this is a small part of it, there are other mentions of guests staying and still claiming refund - not sure if that is contingent on them alerting Airbnb when they arrive or during their stay or after the fact.

https://www.airbnb.com/terms/guest_refund_policy

(a) The Guest must bring the Travel Issue to our attention in writing (airbnb.com/contact) or via telephone and provide us with information (including photographs or other evidence) about the Accommodation and the circumstances of the Travel Issue within 24 hours after the start of your reservation, and must respond to any requests by us for additional information or cooperation on the Travel Issue. 

In my opinion, complaining & asking for a refund after you have taken advantage of a host's listing seems a very dishonest way to approach this. But it seems to be happening more and more. Not sure of Airbnb's take on the silent guest who complains after they have left.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

There is a specific policy to follow if they wish to claim a refund, if they have just sent it through the messaging system ignore it.

Most people are fine, but you inevitably will come across some weirdo's.

David
Deborah1
Level 10
Beaufort, SC

why would you refund anything? I would tell them in the message board to contact airbnb and not communicate with them about. They waited two weeks? That doesn't make sense.

Mike77
Level 10
Bend, OR

I would just let them take it up with AirBnb.  Stressing about weird people is not what this is all about.

Mike