stars

Paula1000
Level 2
Warrensburg, NY

stars

So I have been hosting for going on 5 years . My question is for my first listing I have 188 reviews . Out of them I received 2 - 3 star reviews and 3-4star reviews all in 2019 or before. The rest of my stars have been 5 stars solid so why has my listing not changed from a 4.96 when I have received nothing but 5 stars for almost 2 years? when I called Air BnB they said it takes time hmmm. out of my three rentals I am at a 4.95 for my barn rental- a 4.96 for The Silver LINING cottage- and a 5.0 for the Cabin the Bluebirds Nest .

11 Replies 11
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Paula1000 Mathematically, the more values you have in a set the less noticeable the change in the average - especially when rounding to two decimal places. It has nothing to do with what Airbnb customer service says, it has everything to do with math. 

you would think however with that many 5 stars since I would at least go up to 4.97

@Paula1000 And you could be very close but we do not know the third decimal place. Once you hit 4.965 your average will round over to 4.97.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Ute42,

Would you please share your math graphic which displays how many 5* ratings are required to overcome less star ratings?

@Emilia42 @Paula1000 

@Debra300 

Sorry but I couldn't find it. But I got something else for You, pls take a look:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Circle/Let-s-talk-about-search/m-p/1380698/highlight/true#M...

@Paula1000 @Anonymous @Branka-and-Silvia0 

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

There has been a lot of discussion along the lines of Airbnb dropping the lowest review. I think for every 75 reviews the lowest one should not be factored into the overall score. I have all five star reviews but at some point a guest will leave an inaccurate review, revenge review, didn't read the listing, or interpret the review process as a kind of wish list. It should be more straightforward like Amazon: was the product as described, shipped on time, etc. If Airbnb want's a wish list for how to improve their service it should be made clear that it separate from the review. Right now its shocking a guest can throw a party, have police called, trash your place and still leave a negative review. Airbnb has created a subculture of sex trade, drug use, and disruptive party events as host are at the mercy of revenge reviews. A simple solution in the right direction would be not factoring in one review into the overall rating per 75 reviews or so. But 9.95 is really good and right now not sure how its possible to maintain that when one guest a year expects a 10 million dollar mansion in the heart of the city for under a $100 a night.  

Pete-and-Bec0
Level 7
Upper Hutt, New Zealand

The star ratings total is very simple math.  It doesn't look like any ratings are dropped from the calculations. ever.

2 x 3 star = 6

3 x 4 star = 12

183 x 5 star = 915

6 + 12 + 915 = 933

933/188 = 4.962766

And with your current stats, it looks like once you hit 195 5-star reviews you will see an increase in overall star ratings to 4.97 (pending you do not get a 4 star in the meantime)

2 x 3 star = 6 

3 x 4 star = 12

195 x 5 star = 975

6 + 12 + 975 = 993

993 / 200 total reviews - 4.9650 --> rounded to 4.97

@Paula1000 

Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

@Paula1000just 12 to go!

Stars, they come and go

They come fast, they come slow
They go like the last light of the sun, all in a blaze
And all you see is glory
But most have seen it all,
they live their lives in sad cafes and music halls
They always have a story

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Paula1000 

Don't stress about it, just accept the oddities of dealing with Airbnb! Others will tell you how it works, the maths behind it, but Paula that is not important!

In 357 reviews I have had one 3 star overall and a handful of 4 star overalls where I actually got less than a 5 in one of the categories.....and my current rating is 4.92! 

Paula, I used to stress about this and say how unfair it is....these twenty or so guest who gave me a wonderful review, 5 stars in all the categories but only managed to give me a 4 star overall! How was I supposed to improve when the guest gave no clue as why I was worth less than a 5? Why was I being penalised in my stats because Airbnb guests just wanted to be honest but don't understand the convoluted ideology behind Airbnb's maths.

Then I reaslised that to Airbnb, the only positive rating is an overall 5 stars.....anything less than an overall 5 stars meant something was wrong and needed addressing by the host!

This of course is just plain bloody stupid!

I looked at these reviews where something was wrong and needed fixing only to be confronted with a 5 for Accuracy, a 5 for Communication, a 5 for Check-in, a 5 for Cleanliness, a 5 for Value and a 5 star for Location....and I realised that it was not my system that was broke......it was Airbnb's.

Paula, don't worry about it, numbers don't make a great host and you are a wonderful host, a credit to the platform, you aren't doing anything wrong so just concentrate on that..... and let Airbnb sort their sh*t out.

Have a great festive season mate!

Cheers.........Rob