would you recommend this guest?

Jules22
Level 2
Portland, OR

would you recommend this guest?

I had a guest last weekend who was supposed to bring four guests and one pet and ended up bringing five guests and two pets. She was very sneaky about her fifth guest, but she refused to pay any additional fees. Not wanting a bad review or any arguments with people staying in my home, I let it slide. However, when it came time to review, I did say, "thumbs down" at the first question "would you recommend this guest?" I understand that she cannot see this part of the review, but what I would like to know is where can I, as a host, see this recommendation from other hosts for future guests who want to book with me? If I had been able to see that another host had also said "I would not recommend this guest" about her, I would not have rented to her in the first place.

Thanks for any insight! 

7 Replies 7
Bruce43
Level 10
Kfar Blum, Israel

@Jules22    have you seen her review? not all your guests are going to be 100% Airbnb smart.

if there is no damage just learn to be more selective.

it takes time there is a learning curve.

dont use instant booking until you feel comfortable dealing with all different kinds of transient guests.

happy hosting                            "I find a white wine with fava beans helps".

I have seen her review. I wasn't so much concerned with her review but wanting to know where I can see the results of "would you recommend this guest" by other hosts when future guests would like to book.

I don't use instant book .

Thanks for the reply!

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Jules22,

You can't see if other hosts have clicked not to recommend a guest. As far as I understand it, that clickable option is for the feature that allows hosts with instant book to specify that they want only guests with recommendations from other hosts.

The instant book "Recommendations from other hosts" feature is completely independent of the text in guest reviews.

Software isn't yet able to reliably interpret free form human written text.

You don't have instant booking so I sincerely hope that the text of the review you gave her mentioned the facts you included in this post. That is so as other hosts who, like you, don't use instant booking, can be fore warned about her. If you haven't mentioned it in the review then other hosts can't know that there was a problem.

Release yourself from the tyrany that is the fear of a bad review. You always have the option of responding to a review.

If someone shows with extra people or somehow incurs an extra charge at checkin then they don't get in until they accept the charge or booking change.

Steve.

Thank you. Now I understand the recommendation is only for those using Instant Book. This is helpful!

Even though you can respond to bad reviews, they still bring down your average rating.

@Jules22   A host voice idea had asked for guests stars and ratings to be shown on their profile but not sure it was ever implemented. No idea what Airbnb do with thumbs down for guests or low star ratings, if anything.  According to many posts even flagging a profile doesn't seem to elicit any response from Airbnb  –  'flagged' guests (and properties) are still apparently live months after being flagged.

I think the only way for other hosts to know is to write a review just stating the facts, neutral and impersonal works best. There are a ton of posts on here of how best to approach that.

Thank you.