Free infants, up to 5 free infants? In a listing that is set to a total of 4 guests?

DragonflyHill-Collective0
Level 10
Desert Hot Springs, CA

Free infants, up to 5 free infants? In a listing that is set to a total of 4 guests?

This is really messed up. Now when hosts indicate that our listing is suitable for up to X guests, it's really X guests + 5 free children under 2 years old, and there's no way to adjust for this. This is outrageous. 1. We should have a say in who comes in our homes for free, 2. We should determine the total number of guests. 3. FIVE FREE INFANTS? REALLY? FIVE? THAT'S A WHOLE PRESCHOOL CLASS. EVEN PRESCHOOL CLASSES HAVE A COST AND THOSE KIDS GO HOME AT THE END OF THE DAY.

WE want our home to be comfortable for children and welcoming, but when we said we could only accommodate up to 4 people, that didn't mean up to 9 people if 5 of them were under 2 years old. It didn't mean free lodging for ANYONE.

You could allow hosts to offer free passage to children, in a discount setting. You could allow guests to search for "chlldren are free" or "infants are free" in a search feature.

You absolutely have to allow hosts to determine how many people they can comfortably, affordably and safely lodge.

My email, because you always ask for that, is [email address removed] But then you never message.

We've added the following statement to our listing:

"While we are children friendly, we cannot provide free accommodations for children OF ANY AGE.  We welcome your children into our home but all fees and total number of guest limits apply.  We love and welcome children but at the prices we are offering, we cannot afford to have extra people of any age here, without compensation for our labor and resources. "

15 Replies 15
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Just for your info, the forum is a platform where hosts may help each other on a volounteer basis.  Feedback must be directed to airbnb.  

That's really not helpful, since what I'm addressing is a clear and unilateral policy change, NOT something where I have control or options except to tell a guest that has instant booked, that now they have to cancel, or face additional guest charges and have to rent extra rooms. 

Thank you I have also done that. 

@DragonflyHill-Collective0   Where the description is add something along the lines of:  "Maximum 4:  this includes any children, toddlers, babies in your party",  and add again in your rules and again in things to note. Make it clear in writing what your rules are, and the charge for children/infants, that is the only protection you might have when cancelling or asking for extra fees.

That's really not helpful, since what I'm addressing is a clear and unilateral policy change, NOT something where I have control or options except to tell a guest that has instant booked, that now they have to cancel, or face additional guest charges and have to rent extra rooms.  I already changed my listing information but it still sucks that I can't control how my listing is booked and how many guests total I accept before a guest makes an instant book. 

@DragonflyHill-Collective0

I agree this is very unfortunate - perhaps consider changing the settings to "may not be suitable for infants".  This way they cannot instant book if they enter infants into their reservation - it will revert to a request.  Not ideal perhaps, but a way around the issue. 

You may perhaps loose some bookings. but perhaps worth it for the possible hassle of requesting extra payment or having to cancel.

@DragonflyHill-Collective0   Call Airbnb  and take it up with the founders. Or add it to Host Voice and get a campaign going.  This is a community forum not monitored by Airbnb.   In my experience the best hosts can do for policies like these, until or if they are changed is to protect themselves.

Do you have a link to "Host Voice"? I've not heard of that. 

@Ange2

It appears that the option to cancel penalty free for reasons other than extenuating circumstances has been removed recently

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Hosts/Failure-to-flag-message/m-p/281712#M65742

@Marit-Anne0   Thnak you. That was a quick turnaround of policy.   In an email I received a week or so ago about Instant Book cancellations it says:

"You can cancel penalty-free if you’re ever uncomfortable with a reservation or a guest’s behavior." 

but, I see the page that was linked to the email has changed and no longer has the same information. It is as you say only valid for "extenuating circumstances" and no difference is made between IB and non-IB.

Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

@DragonflyHill-Collective0 Airbnb customer service does not monitor this forum therefore they will not see your complaint and thus NEVER return your email.

May I suggest leaving your feedback on the Facebook or Twitter page.

They are good responders to social media!

I agree it is outrageous so I highly recommend contacting them.

@DragonflyHill-Collective0I have the same issue as you do. In fact, a wedding party wanted to use my listing as a place to babysit the wedding party and guest's kids! Thankfully I do not have Instant Book activated, and therefore am able to state my terms before accepting a booking. That is that I do not accept children for free if they are of walking age. An "infant" is a babe-in-arms" - certainly not a toddler!  I can see a huge problem for those hosts who have Instant Book activated. I think that I will take the advice here and mention this on Airbnb's facebook page. If you look at the "top discussions" here on the community page you will see my posting "Children under 2 for free...NO." It didn't do any good. Airbnb doesn't care.....unless enough hosts refuse to host children for free and since there is a glut of hopeful hosts on that platform that is unlikely to happen.

Hilary-And-Ed0
Level 10
Brookline, MA

@DragonflyHill-Collective0@Monica4@Ange2@Marit-Anne0@Dee9

I posted this in Host Voice, a forum where people can make suggestions directly to the company. If enough people like or comment, it will be flagged for review  by the organization. This post relates to the new infant policy.  PLease check, and if you agree, then comment, or give a thumbs up in order to get the attention of Airbnb.

Thanks!

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Voice/New-Infant-policy-Babies-are-people-too-and-lots-of-e...

Jane542
Level 2
Olinda, Australia

And here we are in 2018 and people are still allowed to make a booking for up to 5 infants! I have a small vintage caravan with a small double bed and a table to convert to a single bed and just had a person book with 4 children! 1, 2, 5 and 6 years old! 

Air BnB folk really are not switched on to this as I now will have to cancel the booking, with penalties after building it up for over a year.

Will they ever change this? If I accepted the booking, apart from the fact we do not have enough beds, it is also a real safety issue.