How did you find the Airbnb Community Center?

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

How did you find the Airbnb Community Center?

430303030-2743.jpg

Hey all,

When you join a new place, like the Community Center here, it can take a little while to familiarise yourself. I’m still new and trying to find my way here as well.

You sometimes even get an instant sense of belonging, like when you’re reunited with a long lost relative or when you’ve finally found that place you’ve been looking for all this time. But I’m not writing the greatest drama series to ever grace the big screen here, I’m curious about your experience!

How did you find and how are you finding the Community Center so far?

What was it that brought you to us, how was your first experience, and for the members that have been around a bit longer already, how does it compare to your experience now? Join the conversation and let us know!

-Sybe

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

31 Replies 31
Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

That's amazing, thank you for sharing @Christine615 ! It was a pleasure reaching out to you, and you're welcome to cry on my shoulder (though hopefully it won't get to that haha!)

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Liv ,

I found the community center when we were first venturing into short-term rentals, and I was doing research on all of the platforms that were under consideration for listing.  I didn't join right away, and then didn't post anything after I set up my community ID.  Honestly, it was during the pandemic lockdown that I became more active.  I like that blog is cluttered and doesn't have a lot of "noise" with ads, videos or multiple random photos.  I also appreciate that most hosts are considerate of another point of view, and usually admit when they've made a faux pas.  I do genuinely believe that the sharing of experiences and advice can be helpful to everyone who participates.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

I meant to say that I like that the blog is uncluttered and doesn't have a lot of noise, but all of you regulars well know that words often don't make it from my brain to my fingertips. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Liv @Sybe I don't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure I went onto the Airbnb help pages looking for the answer to something or the other and, when I couldn't find it, clicked on the link to the CC. Once here, I realised what a valuable resource it was and also just a great place to connect with other hosts and, of course, have the occasional rant!

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Christine615 @ElaineThanks @Sybe and other CM staff, found your pop up current survey to which is well worded.

Have you also had it pop up @Huma0 @Kitty-and-Creek0 @Ann72 @Emiel1 @J-Renato0 @Debra300 @Sybe @Stephanie @Elaine701 @Christine615 @Fred13 @Colleen253 @Mary996 @Dale711 and others?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen427 

I did, but the link didn't work very well. I answered the questions but it crashed when I tried to submit.

@Helen427  I've had it and completed it, but it pops up every time regardless.  Annoying.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Ann72 

iron-man-eye-roll.gif

I'll look into it.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

😂 😂 😂  @Stephanie 

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

I must have found it last year, we had an on-off year with hosting. I had joined another host forum group too but found them to be a bit jaded and snarky, which happens to a lot of forums when you have a lot of veterans who aren't actually good teachers (not all accomplished successful people can teach, or lead) and forgotten what it's like to be a noob, and whilst I can certainly throw my own handfuls of salt around, I just didn't get a good vibe from them.  But the horror stories I read there, and here, have been so helpful, so I know i'm not alone and hopefully know how to handle a sticky situation.   It's good to have a place to come to when you need advice. 

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Sybe I recall exactly how and why I searched out CC community center. 2017 4 months into being a host I had a couple that threw their own 4 night party of sex, drugs, and maybe rock n roll. Just this adorably cute couple that I had great communication with, even loaned the young woman a leather jacket as it was cooler here than they expected. Plus I drove her to the airport at the end of the trip and they were precious....UNTIL I walked into the cottage right after dropping her off at the airport...my heart sank, I was blown away and couldn't believe my eyes. Needless to say after a big clean up, which entailed throwing away a comforter, duvet, sheets and massive clean up.... so glad I had wonderful mattress protection! ...I knew all the tricks for removal and linens clean up - but  the every possible bodyfluid and drinks/snacks/chocolate were baked in and dried after 4 nights....so this turned out to be the best learning I was able to do after 4 months hosting...I was perplexed with review writing, I wanted to do it correctly and I searched out where is the best advice and I found from the experience of host right here on the CC. When you learn to shift from the hurt/anger to business/unemotional it changes everything. I learned about filing damage claims, the best way to write a fair, unemotional review and was glad it all happened in the end. BECAUSE I found The Community Center!!! By far my best and most trusted place to connect and chat with, get to know and learn the many outs and ins of hosting, how to be better and things Not to do. Its a win-win-win for certain.

Thanks for asking and welcome to CC @Sybe   blessings, Clara

Fiona256
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

This forum does the job that customer service agents should be doing. It must save Airbnb a furtune, leaving it to experienced hosts to help and guide other hosts and guests through the  labyrinth of misinformation, ineptitude and unjustified malice dealt out by so-called CS.

@Sybe @Liv 

I found the CC when Henry and I were considering becoming hosts. We had a spare bedroom and had a pretty good plan to get the guest room ready, but we didn't know anyone who hosted a private room and we were worried about a lot of things - we needed advice, encouragement, and tips. We thought hearing from actual hosts, learning from their experience would help us and found the CC. I immediately become a regular visitor. I love being able to connect with hosts from around the world and have made some wonderful friends.  

Darla60
Level 2
Raleigh, NC

I found this through another host who told me about it.  She was looking for posts regarding what percentage Airbnb Property Manager charge for their services.

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

Does anyone still remember the old Airbnb Groups? There existed many groups, international and national, in many languages. We used that platform to start our host groups: a large German-speaking DACH group plus several regional groups for local issues, plus a tax-specialized group.

Anyone was able to start such an Airbnb Group, and as they were unmonitored by Airbnb, some initially good groups went out of control, because the admins (hosts like you and me - no Airbnb staff) just went off.

Later the Airbnb Community Center started (with its several language platforms), and before the official opening during the Airbnb Open in Paris 2015 was announced, we transferred our content which we regarded as worth to be kept to the new platform.

That’s my way I did “find” the CC 😉

And I’m happy that now we have this professional and competent admin team, which guides us through good and bad times – thank you!

DACH-GruppeDACH-Gruppe