Critique my listing - Zipho in Johannesburg

Critique my listing - Zipho in Johannesburg

Zipho1_0-1625475717841.png

Hiya hosting community,

My name is Zipho and I’m a new host from Johannesburg. I’ve had my listing on Airbnb and another platform for a while but only had one booking with Airbnb. It is winter now so perhaps that’s why I’m not getting much interest but then again, I have bookings on the other platform. I wondered if there is something I can improve on my listing. I’m also struggling to get my head around the Airbnb settings so if anyone could help I would be so grateful.

Here’s a link to my listing: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/50037848

I appreciate your time and help 🙂

Zipho

13 Replies 13
Rita287
Level 2
DeLand, FL

Hello Zipho.  I clicked on your link but it didn't take me to your listing, only to the Airbnb home page.  Check to confirm your property listing is "active".

Ted307
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

@Zipho1 

Hi Zipho! I checked out your listing and this is the link to share it: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/50037848?guests=1&adults=1&s=67&unique_share_id=37a2684d-d8d9-4187-b8a7...

You can get a custom link if you go to the edit listing details. That will make a much shorter link for you like this: https://airbnb.com/h/aspen-creek-bunkhouse

Your listing looks very nice to me, and it seems pretty cheap to my U.S.A. eyes. Looks like it is all new. Do you have it listed twice? There were not any reviews, so I clicked to see other properties and went to what looks like the same listing.

Maybe some photos of the outside, the street & neighborhood. People are worried sometimes about if it is a good neighborhood. If it is a cute cottage like the title implies, show it off! I would describe it as more of a studio.

I would not have the beautiful photos of the food, since you only have a small cooking space and might not want guests who will do so much cooking! Maybe a shot of your pots and pans & dishes?

Best wishes for your listing!

Ted & Chris

thanks much Ted&Chris for your contribution. I have included food pictures because some guests do not like cooking for themselves, so they are afforded another option.

@Zipho1 I did not realize from the listing that the food was offered as an extra. I would love to eat some of it -- it looks fantastic. Maybe you could put the price on the photo?

Here we are strictly regulated about selling food, it would require a course of education on food handling, a license, and an inspection of the kitchen (which every home kitchen would fail).

Ted & Chris
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Zipho1 A few comments

You have no check out time - Can people stay till midnight to leave?

You also have a 9-5 rule but don't say what happens between these times

The photos confuse me - Relevance of food and is that a pool?

Finally I am not sure how I access this suite - Do I go through your house, is there a separate entrance off the street?

Hope this helps

Thanks much, I will check again, why the check out time does not show on your end, i have it as 10am. Relevance of food shows that we provide diner and breakfast if required so, this is because not every guest like cooking for themselves. But hey thanks for your contribution, I will have all you listed checked so we paint a more clearer picture of what the cottage offers.

@Zipho1 I suggest you use the preview option (its a little symbol toward top right of your hosting page) to see what guests see. Then you need to forget everything you know about the listing, pretend you are searching for a place to stay, and see if what you are reading would give you enough info to book the property.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Zipho1 Some thoughts:

1. Make your photos into a "tour" beginning with an attractive exterior shot of the building, then entrance, etc. Pics of a bed and a pool interspersed with food will confuse guests. Guests want to have a feel for what they book and not be surprised when they arrive. Your photos should have the logic of what a guest will see when they show up. Do they enter into the kitchen or the living room? Is there a separate outdoor area other than the pool? I couldn't say for sure that I would be getting if I booked your place from the photos.

2. Is there a kitchen? Make that really clear-- what does it look like, is there an eating space. I see a counter but I can't tell much else.  Guests are big on kitchens so make sure yours is well represented. 

3. Raise your prices. Seems SUPER low to me. Watch your guest counts.

4. Is there a living room? Again your photos could be more clear and logical. Maybe add a floor plan?

Michelle1851
Level 10
Littleton, CO

I recommend under each photo you provide a summary, for example do guests get to use the pool and pool hours, under food explain you can provide food at an additional cost if requested .  Things like that to make it simple for guests to understand.  It looks really lovely:)

Kelly1462
Level 2
Kearny, NJ

@Zipho1  I agree with the other suggestions I did see that your listing says 1 bedroom but 0 beds that’s might be a issue during search and your pictures are to zoomed in, repeated and dark open up the windows and turn your lights on and take a picture of the whole bathroom the choppy picture makes it look like your hiding something.

House-Of-Tailwaggers0
Level 2
Yokoshibahikari, Japan

Hi. 

I personally find that pictures definitely attract the guests to book more than just the listing. Your place looks very cozy. Make it shine more through the photos.

*Add a photo of the room through the doorway, gives a spacial feel.

Also maybe add a picture of the house or front of the house.

* I fully recommend to add details with the pictures, maybe even try and make your pictures look more crisp by using a photo app to dampen the glare and light in some. 

* Add details in your house rules about the hours you claimed as 9pm-5am rule. What happens then?

*You really need to be clear about your check in and check out time . State it in your listing notes.

*Add pictures of the eating space , tables chairs, deck if any. If you have space near the pool, add some chairs and a table for guests to enjoy a snack or a drink

*Lessen the amount of pictures of kitchen counter, and provide more wider views of the rooms instead.

*Did not notice, but if there is a fridge or coffee maker, specify it and provide details as to whether you offer coffee, sugar, ice cubes. Ice cubes I find are important to many of my guests, to use in their drinks. Is there a tea kettle? Etc.

*Did not see if dishes and utensils are offered, you may want to specify.

*Noticed a BBQ grill listed, with patio furniture.. make sure you add picture and boost that a bit more. These days people love to grill their own food.

*If pets are allowed to stay, specify more details, if any, if you offer anything like toilet pads, shampoo, etc...

Hope some of these points are helpful.

Good luck with your listing, wish you much success in hosting.

🎶🐾

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello @Zipho1 

On the whole your listing is fine.

My suggestions to make it still better.

1- Some picture are a bit dark. Take more pictures when there is more light available or use flash light.

2-Add to the house rules that "the number of registered guest can not be exceeded." It will avoid future problems.

3-Put some pictures of the outside and attractions that you mentioned such as malls and the stadium.

I wish you success!

Hi everyone. Hope you’re all doing well. Has anyone hosted someone by the name of Siphokazi Joy?