Critque my Listing - Dave, Prince Edward Island Canada

Critque my Listing - Dave, Prince Edward Island Canada

I listed my property on January 17, and have received many views each day but have only received 1 booking.  I am grateful for the booking but want to ensure there are no red flags in my add that may deter others from booking.  I have made the ad as honest and open and I can, I have a lot of work to do and upgrades to make in the Spring and am not sure of the best way to convey this without scaring people off. I am not able to access the property until April.

Thanks for your time!

Cozy 1 Bedroom and Loft just steps from the ocean. - Cottages for Rent in Rocky Point, Prince Edward...

7 Replies 7
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@David8536 What a stunning property you have. 

Your write up seems fine except for "While we are not a 5 Star option.." 

Remove that!!! I realize you are trying to give guests realistic expectations, but you are essentially telling guests not to give you 5* reviews, which is a huge mistake. You want 5* reviews. A 5* review on Airbnb doesn't mean it's the Ritz. It means it is accurately described, clean and comfortable and the hosts were friendly and attentive. And Airbnb will send you warnings if your rating falls below 4.7.

You have said it's a work in progress, so you've set the bar to not have guests expecting luxury. But your place looks just fine and the location is a million dollar view in itself.

Just a few suggestions- the large bed needs bedside tables with reading lamps on both sides of the bed and the twin bed room also needs either small ones for each bed, or a larger one that is easily reachable from both beds. 

( I can't believe how many new listings asking for critiques here don't have bedside tables or reading lamps on them or only have a one bedside table for a bed that sleeps two. Does no one read at night in bed anymore? Does no one get up to go to the bathroom at night and have to stumble around in the dark because there's no light next to the bed? I don't get it.)

Also, I would remove 2 of the chairs from the dining table photo. You list for 4 guests, so showing seating for 6 will give guests the idea they can bring more people. 

And you should upload a real profile photo. Guests want to see that, I think, and it's best not to seem anonymous if you want guests to treat your place with respect.

Thank you so much for taking the time to review my ad.  I will adjust the wording as your recommend and the side tables and lamps are on my list to add this spring.  As I ad/update items and rooms I will take new photos.

Angie601
Level 4
Victoria, Australia

Hi David, 

Wow your property is absolutely gorgeous!

I agree with Sarah about the 5 star comment, so word that a different way. 

I understand it is difficult presenting a listing when you don't have access to it.  This was our situation when we first listed and I spent most of my time explaining to enquiries how it was going to look! I even mocked up rooms with the new beds and linens to show in photos. Maybe while you can't get inside you could take some photos of that glorious beach with chairs , towels, picnic basket etc  so guests can imagine themselves there. Obviously only do that if you plan on providing those things.

I would reword this statement

"Unless we are doing maintenance, we will not be at the property during your stay"

Guests may think  you're going to be there painting the deck or something during their stay. I assume you mean any emergencies guests have called you out for.

If you're not accepting bookings until April I wouldn't be worried about a lack of bookings yet. What are your lead in stats for your area? Mine are around 28 days on average so if next month is pretty full, I'm not going to see a lot of bookings until I have space after that time.

Good luck, I'm sure your property will be very popular 😉 

Thank you for your insight, under the insights it says people book about 6 months in advance for my area, which is why I am been a little anxious.  I will make the changes to the wording as you have suggest.  thanks again!

@David8536  Because of Covid and ever-changing travel restrictions, guests have been booking with less lead time than they used to, waiting to see how things transpire. Those restrictions are loosening up almost everywhere, but things are still uncertain- who knows if there will be a new variant that is really deadly and things get locked down again. So a lot of people are being cautious about long-range plans. 

You also can't believe all of Airbnb's "insights". For instance, their price tips are absurdly low to the point of being insulting. I list my private room for $36CAN/ night, with no discounts for weekly stays or anything. My guests are happy to pay that, tell me they considered it great value for what I provide and even that I could charge more. 

Airbnb's price tip is that "Guests are likely to pay $22CAN/night.

It's ridiculous. A shared hostel room for 4 people with a shared bathroom and a crummy shared kitchen with battered pots and pans and chipped plates costs more than that. I wouldn't even bother hosting for so little. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@David8536 I am totally confused. Is it two bedrooms or 1 bedroom and a loft? If the latter then what is the difference between a loft and a bedroom as the pictures show 2 bedrooms.

This needs clarifying. If the loft doesn't have a door then just add a picture showing the stairs on one side of the room so people can see this and perhaps mention it in the description.

Thanks for pointing that out, I will clarify it!