Damages when you're unsure which guest did it...

Amy2142
Level 2
Houston, TX

Damages when you're unsure which guest did it...

I'm afraid I know the answer to this, but I'm new to AirB&B hosting and thought I would ask. We have a waterfront property so have had near back-to-back bookings in June. I'm usually only able to personally visit the property between every to 2-to-3 stays. We've had some minor damages that I was able to catch throughout the spring because we had only one booking a month / every other month. I was there this weekend after 3 consecutive bookings and found some broken solar lights on the walking path and new stains on the carpet. I don't know which group was responsible.  Is it possible to request AirCover to pay for these things when I don't know which group did it? 

I do plan on flagging this to our cleaning company who is supposed to be looking for these things to be more conscientious but as I'm sure fellow owners understand, it's impossible for a 3rd party to notice all the little things that may be out of place the way an owner would. 

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No it isn't .  @Amy2142 

Why don't you provide your cleaning company with a check list of areas that they should be checking and allow them time in the cleaning to do so.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Amy2142  Unless you can provide AirBnB with invoices at the time of turnover, AirBnB will probably deny the charges, especially as you cannot determine which guest should be notified about the damage and asked to reimburse you.  Unfortunately, you will have to record these damages as expenses against your income.