Help!!! With a difficult long term guest

Kimberly853
Level 2
High Point, NC

Help!!! With a difficult long term guest

So I am new to Airbnb hosting. I have a 1924 home that I have been restoring for a decade. It is about 85% done. I travel a lot for the summer and have stayed in Airbnb‘s for extensive amounts of money and not great accommodations. I decided that even though my house was not completed I could offer quality housing at a reduced rate. I planned to be gone the majority of the summer and decided to rent out three rooms long-term as work housing options. I think that one person is toxic in the entire house. He has been difficult since day one. I also feel that he is very vindictive and I’m concerned that if I call him out on the issues at hand  that he will do some thing much more damaging to my home out of spite. I feel extremely disrespected,  he is violating house rules, but he is here for another eight weeks, I have absolutely no idea how to handle him. 

25 Replies 25
Kimberly853
Level 2
High Point, NC

I will also say, I don’t think the Airbnb set up to host page does us a lot of justice. I was unaware that I had the right to ask for a hard copy of ID, I was also unaware that I had the right to ask for a deposit. I do think those things should be outlined when setting up to host from Airbnb. Unfortunately there were red flags with him coming in and I was busy trying to get the property ready and trying to get my first bookings and I overlooked them. Lesson learned, it will not happen again. But his wife booked this for him. I was under the impression she was coming. She did not disclose until two days before arrival that it was her husband. And although I picked up on it I was not gender specific so I disregarded it. But in retrospect  he probably had a bad profile and could not get a rental. I am also comfortable in the thought that he was already local and had to leave another rental early based on how things unfold it when he showed up, with excessive dirty winter laundry, and at 8:30 in the morning completely disregarding my check in time. But being that it was my first guest I did not wanna rock the boat so I let it go. But now that things have unfolded I see clearly all the little things that one by one only seem a little odd but in a big picture tell a much different story. Lesson learned. I will push through this being the bigger person deal with whatever comes and move on.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kimberly853 

I have been hosting in my own home, which was also a big renovation project, since 2016. For the past few years, I have focused almost exclusively on hosting long term guests. There will always be the odd problematic one, but overall, it's gone pretty smoothly. So, take some of my advice or ignore it, up to you.

- Never assume common sense. Never assume what is obvious to you is obvious to others. I have learnt this time and time again while hosting. Certain things need to be spelt out in the house rules, especially if you are not there to check in guests.

No, I don't think you can tell guests to wash their hands (believe me, plenty of people do not do this every time they use the toilet - I can tell by how little hand soap I need to buy), but stating things like the smoking policy, taking out the trash, reporting plumbing or similar issues, is not a bad idea. You need to specify that smoking is not allowed outside, otherwise many guests will assume this just means no smoking indoors.  If use of laundry facilities becomes a regular issue, it is worth mentioning also. Bear in mind also that if you do ever need to contact Airbnb about a guest breaking your house rules, those rules need to be spelt out on the listing, otherwise they don't count.

- I absolutely insist that guests read and agree to the house rules before they book. I simply won't let anyone stay without doing this. It's the most important piece of communication that I can get from a guest. That doesn't mean they won't break some rules, but then they will be reminded of what they agreed to. Check in time is also stressed and guests who show up hours early will not be let in. Period. If you allow guests to disrespect your rules in this way, believe me, they are going to keep pushing your limits.

- Vet your guests. This is so important, but even more so with long term guests, and much more so if you're not living there. Never ignore red flags. This was a third party booking, which is against Airbnb policy. It's not just that the guest may have had previous bad reviews that you didn't see, but you are not covered by Airbnb if anything goes wrong. Read up on these policies. Sure, you didn't know that the wife would not be staying until the last minute, but this was cause enough to have Airbnb cancel the booking penalty free. If you didn't want to do that, you should have explained that third party bookings are not allowed on Airbnb and that the wife needed to cancel and the husband book from his own profile. If that meant cancellation policies would apply, again you can get Airbnb to cancel the booking penalty free (they have done this for me with third party bookings several times).

Have a reasonable amount of communication with your guests before accepting them. Don't just check out their reviews, check the reviews they have left for other hosts, as these can be very telling. 

- Your listing states, " I will be traveling most of the summer and will not be local." I would remove this, both for security reasons and also to avoid attracting undesirable guests who think they can ignore your house rules, throw parties, whatever. You can communicate this directly with the guests via the messaging system or, if you think it's important to mention this on the listing, there is a section specifically about the host's interaction with guests, which you can fill in.

- I am confused about what is going on with the trash. You are focusing on this guest's behaviour, but said there are three guests staying. Why are none of them putting out the bins for three weeks when they have all been explicitly told to do so? 

- You don't think that the advice offered here has been helpful but, by the way you have described this guest and his behaviour, I would also recommend shortening the length of the stay if he will not comply when you try to reason with him and it doesn't sound like he will. It's my experience that guests like this will not change their behaviour. He is already ignoring your requests RE the trash and the AC. If he will not accept the date change, then I would contact Airbnb for a penalty free cancellation. As @Mark116 said, focus on the rule breaking, e.g. the smoking, not taking the trash out for weeks, not whether or not he washes his hands. It's probably too late to use the third party booking as a reason seeing as you went ahead and let him stay knowing about that. 

- I understand that you don't want to start off with a bad review, but do you think this guy is going to leave you a good one anyway if you have to confront him about his behaviour? When you do this, the guest is either going to say something negative in their review/rate you down or not leave a review at all (under the false hope that then you won't either).

What you can do if he leaves a bad review is to remove the listing and start over. Because it's your first guest, you have nothing to lose. Sure, his review will still be attached to your profile and affect your overall rating as a host, but it will slip down the list over time and guests are more likely to look at the reviews on the actual listing itself. Relist the room and start over.

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Kimberly853 🌿

I have set a maximum of 4 days that people can stay. That way if they are horrible it won’t be long before they are gone again 😅. Also I want to attract guests not roommates. There is a big difference. As a brand new host it is also a good thing to get as many reviews as fast as possible. Less chance of getting a less than great review when people stay for a short time. Guests and tourists are also more likely to be out and about most of the day where “roommates” stay home and use the kitchen more etc.

I hope everything will work out for you 🌿🙂

best, Sandra 

Hi Sandra, thank you for that. I am not in the same state. That was the point in the long-term renters was for the summer so that I could be gone. But honestly I have owned a four-bedroom house for 10 years and have only had two people stay upstairs the entire time. I prefer to be alone. I would never flip rooms regularly. I don’t want to constantly deal with people in my home and I don’t want to constantly be flipping rooms. I did this intentionally to make some extra money and occupy the rooms for the summer. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Kimberly853  You might consider putting in at least exterior cameras so you can keep an eye on the trash while you are gone. 

I've found that anything that is important has to be repeated several times.  We have various things in the house rules, and we do as @Huma0  does and we require that guests confirm in the messages that they have read and agree to the house rules.  It doesn't mean they have, but it means when/if they break the rules we can remind them that they told us they read them in full and agreed to them.  We reiterate the major points such as recycling, check in/out, no extra vistors or any rule we have a funny feeling about with a particular guest in the first couple of messages and also send messages during people's stay as well.  Even that doesn't always work because some people are thoughtless.

As others have said, it doesn't pay to let guests push your boundaries.  Invariably, the people who expect to show up early, check out late, ask for extras or refuse to follow rules they agreed to are not grateful.  Instead, they keep pushing.  It works much better in the long run to start out police/friendly but firm.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I'm not sure why you feel the need to be rude to your fellow hosts here who are trying to help you @Kimberly853 

Just because you don't agree with the advice given doesn't mean it's wrong .

The problem seems to be that you have decided rather than putting your place on as a whole listing over the summer to let out rooms individually when you knew you were going to be away . This means you are not on hand to sort out issues and don't appear to have identified an experienced host to help manage things while you were away. 

You also decided not to evict a problem guest when you knew their behaviour was affecting other guests. 

you had the option to ask Airbnb to cancel the  problem guest booking once you'd evidenced how he was breaking your house rules . And not responding to requests to not do so. 

if you are only renting for the summer why does it matter if he leaves you a negative review ? 

Hi @Helen3 . Boy nothing gets by you. I find it interesting that you felt the need to take the time and point out how my ad was laid out assuming I didn’t understand.  I have a full comprehension of how and why. Which still was in no way an answer or solution to my posted question. If I ask what time it is and someone replies with a sun and moon schedule could it be helpful maybe, does it answer the question. No !

If you go to a restaurant, and you’re not satisfied with the food and you ask for a manager who comes over and tells you if you don’t like it to get out. Was that the solution you were hoping for? Definitely not. You would’ve expected that they would offer to re-cook your meal, or get you something different off the menu, or, the amount of the item off of your check, or offer you complementary drinks or dessert. Even if they felt you were the difficult guest they would try to work with you to come up with a solution that worked for both instead of just telling you to get out.

election was absolutely not a solution to my question. My question involved an answer that somebody with people skills has, with management skills, and dealing with difficult people. The fact that the people that answered don’t have those skills is not wrong it just means they probably should not have answered, because the information provided it was not helpful to the question, even if the information would be helpful for other purposes. I am not rude, I am factual there is a difference. I was not vulgar, insulting, or demeaning. I was honest. Some thing the world could use a lot more of. The only person that was slightly helpful was @Mark116  with his second reply after my response. The fact that you don’t like what I have to say and felt the need to try to put me in my place just continues to drag on this thread. So feel free to educate me to either delete this thread or turn off comments as it is a ridiculous waste of time at this point.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

As I said I'm sorry you feel the need to be so rude @Kimberly853 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Kimberly853  I'm curious what you did/are going to do with this guest.  Did you talk to him?  If so, how did he react? 

I'm not sure the restaurant analogy fits this situation.  It seems closer to a restaurant patron who is loud, rude, had broken a glass, tripped a waiter, started smoking, and then, complained of the meal quality.

Hosts should not feel like they have to tolerate abusive behavior in their own homes/properties because some hospitality rule says the customer is always right.  

I'm not sure what kind of miracle answers you were looking for here.  There is no magic bullet of soothing language that is going fix a jerk who smokes in a no smoking listing, who refuses to take his own trash out, and who breaks things and doesn't mention or care.  There is nothing you can do or say that will turn this guest into a good guest, this is why the hosts who answered you all told you to cut your losses now and get rid of him.

You don't want to do that, which is of course your choice, so the only alternative is a stern discussion that explains the rules again, gets him to agree, and then documents it.  I would hope such a conversation includes something along the lines of that he doesn't start following the rules that he WILL be asked to leave.

It's also worth nothing that most every host who replied to your thread is a long time host, and so has experience with guests who break rules and this experience has led us to conclude that flagrant rule breakers who keep breaking rules after it has been pointed out to them...don't change because they don't care about the rules to begin with.

Honestly if someone could just tell me how to close the thread. 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone, 

Thank you for sharing some really useful tips and suggestions with each other here. The initial question has been addressed, and the tone is now increasingly becoming personal rather than constructive, so I've decided to close this thread to new replies. I hope the advice throughout this thread will help anyone facing similar situations in the future, and should you want to discuss any of your experiences further please start a new conversation

Thanks, 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines