New to hosting safety for hosts

Sam5394
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

New to hosting safety for hosts

Hi all,

new for this and would welcome some experience. I’ve hosted my first guest - so far so good. Quite nervous about my upcoming guest or was quite familiar over message - asking what music I liked, saying my profile was beautiful. He has no reviews and I’m a woman living alone. I also have someone staying tomorrow just for 4 hours and not staying the night (just 4 hours) and  bringing someone. Should I be worried? I did agree to them bringing the friend as not staying the night, but then later thought should I have asked more like - why do you want the room for just 4 hours?

advice greatly appreciated...

sam

9 Replies 9
Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Sam5394 

First off, we never do one night stays it can bring all sorts of trouble I live on a party island,

Your safety comes first, if you get bad vibes then cancel it, It does say somewhere on airbnb,

I think I know why he only wants it for 4 hours, cant post here,

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sam5394 Are you aware you are allowed to only accept females if you want as you are home sharing? Agree with @Sudsrung0 about the four hour stay!

Sam5394
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thanks both… the booking is actually with a woman with two good reviews but I’ve cancelled as she wouldn’t confirm what guests she was bringing for the 4 hour stay. Also turned off instant book… I’m finding it all quite stressful. Does it get easier?

@Sam5394 You did the right thing. As @Sudsrung0 stated, safety is of primary importance.

And it is no way I would even think of wanting to turnover a room after 4 hours. It’s hard enough for overnight. Matter-of-the-fact, after 7 months of hosting, I just changed my minimum stay from one night to two nights. The cleaning and laundry is a lot of work for a one night stay. 

And yes, your stress level will abate. However, the workload wont. 😂

Sam5394
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thanks Gwen and Mike appreciate it. Yes I’ve changed to a minimum of two nights now 

@Sam5394 

Chill out it's all part of the fun

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sam5394 I am sure it will get easier. @Gordon0 may have some advice as he home shares in London

Helen56
Level 10
San Diego, CA

I agree about the minimum 2 night stay - it's too much laundry and cleaning for one night, I changed to this setting after a few one night guests.

I suggest you set the advance warning setting - guests cannot book my  guest room for tonight, or tomorrow!  I have a 2 day advance warning, many on these forums have said that this reduces 'troublesome guests', and it also makes things more relaxed for me.

You can also set up your calendar for x days between guests - I also have this set to 2 days.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sam5394 

I am a single (albeit middle aged) woman hosting rooms in my own home and I agree with what others have posted here so far:

- Turn off instant book if you feel you don't absolutely need it. Learn the ropes first and get comfortable with hosting before you consider using this tool. You need to be able to vet guests/ask them questions first.

- Scrap one night stays and have a two night minimum at the very least. It's not that financially beneficial to have one night stays due to the turnover time/costs unless you're in a market where these are the norm . Being in London, you should have no shortage of two night or longer bookings.

- Don't accept last minute bookings (opens up a whole can of worms). Set your booking notice to one day prior at least. I have actually changed it to two...

- As others have said, in your situation (I assume you do not have males staying with you otherwise), you can specify that you only accept female guests, if that makes you feel more comfortable.

- Try to have some correspondence with the guest prior to accepting their booking so that you can look out for red flags. I would personally not be comfortable with someone making those kind of comments about my profile photo or asking personal questions out of context.

- Finally, act like the boss, because that's what you are. You might be offering a service/hospitality, but it is still your home, where you live, so it's important to give off a friendly and accommodating air but, at the same time, use a tone that establishes that it is your place, your rules (which must be followed) and that you are not going to let people take advantage of you. Easier said than done, I know, but it is possible!