A/C

Kim4693
Level 1
Charleston, AR

A/C

First time staying at an Airbnb…. And it appears that the host has the thermostat set at different temperatures throughout the day and night…. I am full-blown menopause and need some cold air at night just to be able to sleep… My youngest son who is with me has asthma really bad and cannot get hot. Otherwise he can’t breathe very well….. My husband is diabetic and he can’t get too hot because it raises his blood sugar… So we are a family that needs the air conditioner…. I would be willing to pay extra to have full control over the thermostat. The air conditioner was on 68 when we went to bed and it was on 73 when  i woke up at 6 o’clock this morning on VACA… The only reason I woke up is because I was so **bleep** hot!!! . We slept with the bedroom door closed because we are with other family members that slept in the other rooms…. I put it back down 68 when I got up … And the thermostat said that it would stay on 68° for the next 40 minutes… I don’t know if I will ever stay in another Airbnb… At least the hotel I can put the air conditioner down and nobody can adjust it except for me.

1 Reply 1
Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Kim4693 

It should not be necessary for you to avoid Airbnb in future. Many Airbnbs have air conditioners that are exclusively controlled by the guest. In the amenities list, the host can indicate what type of air-conditioner is installed, and you may sometimes also be able to tell from the photos.

Of course, I appreciate that this still leaves you with the risk that the listing may not display those details, or that a smart thermometer may override your settings.

If there's any specific detail that's important to you as a guest (in this case, having control over the temperature), it's best to message the host before finalising your booking. Finding a suitable Airbnb with controllable temperature should be a realistic goal in most parts of the world.