Advice on guests who break house rules then leave 3 star reviews

Stephanie2177
Level 2
Burringbar, Australia

Advice on guests who break house rules then leave 3 star reviews

I’ve had a number of guests, but one in particular who has broken noise curfew’s and disturbed other guests, used the spa/hot tub outside of the requested timeframe (2am!) Lit the wood fire 45 mins before the due check out time, saw me and the cleaner waiting and deliberately checked out 1 hr late and then gave a 3 star review stating there was an odour around the house. This has left me with a notice from Airbnb stating I can’t see my ratings until I fix the issue, There was no smell - I believe the women were referring to myself and the cleaner, who were sitting in the yard patiently waiting for them to pack up, as the bad smell. They were exceptionally rude.

The lie has left me battling with Airbnb over something that didn’t happen, and as such, can’t fix.

I left a review saying what happened as politely as possible, and that I wouldn’t host them again.

I’m looking for advice on how to mitigate against guests who have inconsistencies with their behaviour and what they tell Airbnb.

2 Replies 2
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Stephanie2177 ^^^  "I’m looking for advice on how to mitigate against guests who have inconsistencies with their behavior and what they tell Airbnb." That is what reviews are for; granted they sometimes are not perfectly accurate.

You have lovely places, great guests overall, good track record, but just stumbled on a lying fruitcake, and Airbnb doesn't get it even after you tried. Happens. Goes with the territory. Be happy and keep on trucking.

P.S. I had a 'mental genius' of a guest (gave us 3's also), shocked that my place (an island 6 miles from the closest civilization) was 'off grid'. Go figure.

thanks Fred for your response and sharing your experience. I’ll keep trucking as you say and worry about each fruitcake as they turn up. Cheers Steph