Advice

Imogen23
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Advice

I am having a lot of problems with a guest who is staying with me while his property is being renovated . He doesn't understand how airbnb works and doesn't seem to listen or read my explanations. Originally he requested a month.. then wanted to extend to 2. His bank wouldn't authorise reoccurring payments. He asked me to refund a week and then three days later he would make a new booking to cover the remaining days.. I said I would block the days for him until he was ready to rebook. 2.5 weeks later he claims not to have received the refund.. I have sent a request to extend for a week..the guest is claiming not to be able to make payment. I have tried explaining that he cannot remain at the property if I don't receive payment.  He has then suggested that he pay once a week for the remaining time meaning I will have to keep the dates blocked until he is in a financial position to pay.. this has been going on for 3 weeks now.. its so stressful.. the refund that I gave him on my account is blocking future payments due in next week..  does anyone have any suggestions how to move forward.

Thank you in advance

17 Replies 17

@Imogen23 It's true that some guests can present no red flags, and take us by complete surprise. From what you describe re the yelling and such, perhaps this person has some mental health issues.

Airbnb are not supporting hosts very well these days, generally speaking. However, sometimes it can take time for resolution to happen, so let's be hopeful that it's simply a matter of patience being needed.

Some hosts put aside a portion of each booking into a 'damage fund' to pull from when needed, to avoid having to deal with Airbnb and the guest altogether. 

A little break might do you good, for sure, after this situation. Good luck going forward! 

@Colleen253 I think you are right about a break.. and I will be hopeful that airbnb do reply to the complaint seriously..   definitely not an asset to the airbnb community..  it has served me very well for many years both as a host and guest.  

@Imogen23and here is where the trouble comes: HOW CAN YOU WORK WITH THE COMPANY IF THEY DO NOT WORK WITH YOU? Impossible. As said so many times, Airbnb is an absolutely shameful mess for all of us who still remember what it used to be. We used to work WITH them, now all they do is work AGAINST us. Makes us puke every time we see their logo 😞