Another host leaving...what could make me return?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Another host leaving...what could make me return?

After over 200 stays and a consistent 4.96 to 4.98 rating for 3.5 years, I am selling my place and my last stay ends May 10. I can't say I am sad to be leaving Airbnb and know I am not the only seasoned Superhost to wave goodbye in recent months.  I would like to offer some suggestions to @Catherine-Powell and others who look at host experience to consider: perhaps changing some of these would be a means to retain other hosts.  Community, please feel free to chime in on things that you feel would enhance your hosting experience. Not all of these issues have directly affected my listing but I have seen enough of this feedback to allow it to prevent my return to the platform.

1. Total revamp of the rating system. Despite having high ratings I honestly loathe the rating system and find it meaningless. I would immediately jettison host categories of Location (filled with implicit bias and covered by Accuracy) and Value (totally meaningless and prone to revenge scores by bargain hunters.) Again, I have high scores in each so I am not speaking out of disappointment in my own experience. I find these categories silly and Location particularly troublesome as guests CHOOSE THEIR LOCATION. Guest ratings should be reversed-- star scores publicly facing with comments visible only to hosts. So many hosts are afraid to be honest about their guest experiences that flipping a star rating with actual qualitative feedback could really help hosts to avoid poor guest fits.
  2. Better (or any) guest vetting. We had a guest with perfect scores from another host shoot animals on our property.  A Google search revealed this guest had other legal/firearm issues yet ABB said the guest was verified and vetted. This was someone who should have NEVER been allowed on ABB. But because he had a good rating from a previous host, he was considered a perfectly reasonable guest. There are stories in this forum every day about guests who are criminals and scammers and hosts feel forced to accept them lest they get penalized. ALL guests on a reservation should at the very least be REQUIRED to be listed on ABB and all have verified government identities. Full stop. Hosts should never be penalized for refusing reservations when it is clear it would not be a good fit.
  3. Allow hosts to refuse pets/kids if needed. We are pet friendly and always have been. Part of the reason we chose to allow pets is the number of guests who bring pets no matter what the restriction. It was easier to permit them and set up some basic rules around pets. We can't be infant friendly due to safety issues, yet we still have parents insist and sneak little ones in. ABB will not be there when we are sued because a toddler falls down our steep stairs and obviously some parents don't take safety warnings seriously. There should at the very least be a pop up when someone adds an infant/pet "This host's space is not suitable for infants/pets. Please choose another location for your Airbnb stay!"
  4.  Better filters. The new search creates nothing but confusion by showing guests spaces that are not a fit for their stays. Allow guests to actually filter for what they want! Do not show spaces that do not provide the guest with a match. Add filters for special amenities-- one I would humbly suggest is "chef's kitchen" for guest who want advanced cooking/baking amenities (we get people who love to cook and only have the basics in our space. We have never had a desire to add to our kitchen amenities to attract more bakers/cooks. But others have these spaces and could charge more for them.)
  5. Visible house rules. This is such a no-brainer. Make house rules visible and fully expanded! Not hidden at the bottom of the page. Make guests click through them before booking. So many problems could be avoided.
  6.  Get serious about party prevention. The lip service is not enough. Actively assist hosts who have guests throwing parties. Create a "no questions cancellation" when this is the case. Guests who engage in this behavior are banned from the platform. Start an awareness campaign that ABB does not tolerate parties, period.
  7. Stop the shutdowns on camera reports.  If parties don't allow a host to immediately end a reservation, the spurious report of a camera should not shutter a listing for weeks while an "investigation" happens. Understand that the vast majority of hidden camera reports are retaliatory-- engage a bot to determine the relationship between a host complaint against a guest and the guest's report of a hidden camera (easily done!) DO NOT shutter listings were there is a relationship between these 2 things.
  8. Get your payouts in order. This is one of the most egregious issues (and I have been through this myself). There is never a reason a host should not be paid due to an ABB glitch or failure to catch a payment issue. As someone who has had to chase a payout for MONTHS I can attest how frustrating and humiliating it is. I was even asked to liaise with my guest to try and get them to remit payment (why??? I did it but really??)
  9. Allow hosts to transfer bookings upon selling. This one really makes zero sense to me as I am in the midst of a sale. My buyer doesn't want to do ABB but if they did, my property has more appeal than my individual hosting style as I don't meet guests. Why could I not transfer bookings with appropriate notice to guests? Makes zero sense and leaves ABB money on the table.
38 Replies 38
Britta606
Level 2
Rosarito, Mexico

Another tip. 1 time I actually had a "problem" guest....

She didn't write a review because she knew she had done me wrong. While in my property I didn't say anything. "Kill 'em with friendlyness 😂'. After she left I waited and waited...13 days, 23 hours, 45 minutes. 15 minutes before the time was over to write a review I had 'my hour if truth' and I slammed her in my review. 😅 And she didn't have the time to 'get back at me 1 star rating' me. I WON!!!!! And it felt so good. There are little tricks you can use...We have power, too. You just have to find the little tricks..... Try it....you will see....and it feels so good 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤣🤣🤣

Tammi50
Level 4
Mammoth Lakes, CA

I totally agree with EVERYTHING you suggested. I might add that ABB should include a pop-up that not only confirms a pet or infant will be staying but also confirms the correct amount of guests that will be staying. I can't tell you how many times I have "accidently" found out that more people arrived than was on the reservation. Since my condo is in a ski resort town, it is not unusual for a guest to say 5 people are staying but then cram in another 3-5 people sleeping on air mattresses. I am a member of ski Facebook Groups where this type of this discussed often.  I always chime in as a Super Host and do my best to deter this behavior, however, since there is no repercussion for the guests, they still do it.  If a host finds out that several more people are staying than specifically stated on the reservation, not only should we be allowed to ask them to leave (good luck with that), but ABB should automatically charge them extra for the stay and the guest should be "suspended" from ABB for like 6 or 12 months.  This might deter this type of host deception. Of course, charging "extra" would mean that ABB would have to store guests' CC information and be able to charge it in a situations such as this, which would be a GREAT idea that might make guests think twice before they try to deceive hosts, steal property, destroy items, etc.  Before ABB, when I held a guest's CC information until after check out, I had MUCH better behaved guests.  

@Tammi50After a confirmed reservation....do you ask the guests in a message if the number of guests they booked for is correct? I do that. And I also ask if they are bringing an animal. Just for clarification. I always say that I would need to prepare for more guests or animals. 

Also, write it into your house rules. Once they booked they agreed to the.

And then don't write a review and wait until the very last day to write it. 15 minutes before it's over to write request the money. That would be 2:45 pm your time. At Airbnb the new day starts at 3 pm your time. Interesting, isn't it? I figured this out after one reservation. The guest wasn't able to "bad star rate" me because the time was over. But I had my money request in and I also reviewed her as a bad guest. 

At Abb the new day starts at 3 pm. Keep that in mind. Not at 12 am. If you use this method the guests don't have time to "take revenge" by giving you a 1 star rating.

Been in the business for over 20 years.  I never wanted to use AirBnb, because of its bad reputation and the fear of getting my units trashed.  Some friends convinced me to give it a shot.  So I did join 2 months ago.  After all I needed to see for myself.  I can tell with certainty that AirBnb concoct their own rules ONLY seen on AirBnb.   Most of their rules is to "protect" the travelers who can trash your place with no consequences. In the last 2 months, I have had more issues with AirBnb travelers than on any other platforms and I am going to tell you why:

Most hotels ask for security deposit that are refundable.  On AirBnb no security deposit so a lot of guests have ZERO respect for your property.  And to give my opinion, YOU BET THAT THE CLEANING FEES ARE JUSTIFIED.  No doubt.

Per AirBnb, the guests paid so they can party and trash your property at-will.  That is what happened to me.  I am in a condo hotel.  We provide daily room service and clean daily.  That service is paid and expected.

While doing a service, I entered (always knocking first but in this case, the guests left the door open), and OMG I thought a bomb went off inside that room.  I kicked out the disgusting guests.  No way were they going to destroy my expensive furniture any further. 

The same guests complained to AirBnb that I had no business entering the unit to do room service. That slob was a lawyer on top of it with his family and it was horrific in there.

Indeed, AirBnb told me that I could not enter the property without the guests consent to do room service.  That is all dandy but I told AirBnb we are a COMMERCIAL CONDO HOTEL WITH RULES.  I told them no way I am going to allow people unattended in my condo hotel.  You open the door for hidden drug dealing, prostitution, etc. especially where we are located in South Beach, Miami. 

Well I have been a VRBO user for 20 years, and I can tell you that I do not encounter any of those issues I have encountered in 2 months on AirBnb.  Being a condo hotel, all my guests on VRBO wants the service we provide.

It is really sad but onAirBnb the hosts are 99% wrong.  The traveler is given free reign to do as they please.  Lately I read an article of someone renting a home on AirBnb and then doing paid parties at that house with about 80 people inside.  Oh boy!!  The "traveler" was caught thanks to a security camera at the entrance door. 

The traveler can do no wrong.  They can destroy your place, they can lie, the host will be always wrong.  Not only that, but today, AirBnb took a UNILATERAL decision to cancel a reservation WITHOUT checking the facts with us.  That is surreal.  So the traveler can lie, it is all good for AirBnb.

Unfortunately accepting large reservations is a risk on AirBnb so I am limiting the number of days per stay because I am afraid of AirBnb lack of fairness.  So since the traveler is always right, at least I don't lose that much.

I am ok.  After 2 months, I know what to expect.  And I agree with the assessment above.  We have zero control of our OWN properties on AirBnb.

Booking.com, Expedia, VRBO all give respect to the hosts.  They don't take unilateral (one way) decision without first conferring with the host.  And see those platforms want your business, they do provide fair assessment of any issues.

Paul9609
Level 1
Calgary, Canada

Excellent write up, Laura. I hope AirBnB will heed your advice! 

Andrew1991
Level 2
Charlotte, NC

16,269 nights across 4 doors in 6 years.  F airbnb.  Just deleted my 3rd of 4.

Mandrake-And-Karen0
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

Hello fellow Marylander!

Thank  you for your summary of hosting recommendations for Airbnb,  I agree with everyone one you mentioned. I have additional ideas that focus primarily on Airbnb making changes with how they cultivate guests.  My recommendations are:

1) That Airbnb set up their payment system so that hosts can opt to place security deposit holds on guests stays that are 29 nights or more.  Guests would treat hosts' properties with care if they were going to be held financially accountable for any damages they cause. 

At our rental we get extended stays and generally the longer a guest stays in the unit the more likely  damages may occur, particularly if guests are staying in the apartment most if not all of the time.  Some guests are indignant when we mention to them that they will be responsible for any non wear and tear damages they've caused during their stay.  

2) Provide orientation for new guests via online video tutorials.  These instructional videos can educate guests on how to be a 5 star guest while staying in a host's home.  The video orientation would include booking, adhering to numbers of people permitted, following house rules and also not throwing parties, Consequences should be included, i.e. that guests may have reservations cancelled and not refunded for the booking.  They may be suspended, banned, etc from the Airbnb platform. The video would instruct them to conserve energy, shutting off lights/tv, etc when not in use,  adhering to quiet hours, not sneaking in kids, pets, or any additional people.  Then quiz guests on their knowledge at the end of the tutorial to see how much info they retained and provide them with correct answers if/when they answered incorrectly.  The tutorials can also be used for guests who are seasoned ,but not good guests ,in efforts to help them "remember" next time to do things differently.  The anonymous host question- "would you host this guest again?" can be used to trigger a link to be sent to guests to improve their behaviors in future hosts rentals.

3) Airbnb needs to be transparent with guest reviews so that all can see, just as they can see hosts ratings and category scores.  A new category for guests should be added- 

"Guest left the rental space in check in condition." 1-5 stars.  Also some headers that can be clicked on that provides more details  i.e. maintained condition of furniture, kept drains clear, linens were intact, etc.  That would alert hosts to previous behaviors of guests and hold guests accountable at future bookings.

4) I would like to see a Guest Passport that has guests answer a few questions about themselves and posted to their profiles.  After all hosts are recommended to do that to make guests more comfortable.  We hosts are having complete strangers stay in our homes! Don't we have the right to know a little about guests  to put ourselves at ease? My husband and I started requesting a government issued photo ID, under our house rules.  Also we ask guests a few questions to get acquainted before/during the booking process. We don't rely on Airbnb vetting guests for us.

5) Provide hosts with an option to charge guests for cleanings at what ever frequency they are providing for long stays, a month or more.  Currently hosts are only able to charge a one time regular cleaning fee or at a reduced fee for shorter stays, at the time of the booking.  I'd like Airbnb's payment system to allow for hosts to have an option for charging for recurring cleaning, particularly for long stays.   It could be charged to guests credit cards on a daily/weekly/bi-weekly or monthly basis depending on how often hosts clean the space.  The costs/frequency would be under guest rules that the guest reads and agrees with as part of booking.

6) Agree to take away location rating category all together.  Instead, have guest fill in a zip code of their desired location.  This may be where they will be visiting/working/etc. Then  Airbnb reservations system can have rentals pop up listed sequentially, from closest to farthest in distance, from guest's desired zip code. 

Sooo if the Host Advisory Board reads this message as well as the other recommendations, from you and the other hosts,  this will give them something for them to work on! 

Wishing you the best in your future endeavors.

Karen

Silver Spring, MD

Mandrake-And-Karen0
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

Forgot to mention that Airbnb should drop the Guest Favorite or better define it so that it is measurable and trackable by guests and hosts.   Be respectful of superhosts who bust their asses to provide high quality rentals, customer service and guest experiences! Bring back the Superhost filter for searches!! Don't unilaterally strip superhosts of their "benefits" or "awards:" of earning superhosts status. 

Airbnb is giving some displeased superhosts good reasons to leave the Airbnbh platform!!!

Stephen1004
Level 7
Los Angeles, CA

I totally agree 

Stephen