Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

** BEWARE **. Airbnb’s Monthly Payment Policy Creates Disastrous Gaps for Hosts with 30+ Night Restrictions

Katie1717
Level 2
South Africa

** BEWARE **. Airbnb’s Monthly Payment Policy Creates Disastrous Gaps for Hosts with 30+ Night Restrictions

As a landlord in South Africa, I am facing a challenge due to my building's body corporate rules, which enforce a minimum 60-night rental period.

However, Airbnb's payment system creates complications when accepting bookings for 30+ days as Airbnb only charges guests on a monthly basis, allowing a situation where the guest can pay for the first 30 days, then remove their payment method and vacate the property without settling the remaining balance.

This leaves the landlord unable to rent the space to another guest until the 60-night period has passed (as the body corporate will fine us), even though the original tenant has cancelled.

It’s problematic that Airbnb does not allow hosts to set and secure the full payment for the required minimum rental term upfront, which leads to potential loss of income and unnecessary vacancy for the host.

Please tell me if there is any solution to this problem. Airbnb say not.  Thank you. Katie

1 Reply 1
Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I’d also look into tenant rights in SA. Going over 30 days means you may need eviction to remove which can be slow and expensive. Airbnb is a poor platform for long term - no credit check, ID, employment etc.