Bad guests

Andree143
Level 2
Abbotsford, Canada

Bad guests

I would like to know how other hosts deal with sex trade workers and druggies who somehow have automatic acceptance. After two really lousy experiences with this sort of airbnb abusers we have shut down the auto accept option on our site. In both instances the guests left behind bloodied linens, drug paraphenalia, damage to the suite, a mess you would not believe possible in one overnight stay, and in the last instance the guests took the key with them. Our bad for not installing a key pad in the first place, now we have. in future we will be very selective in who we chose to open our home to. Has anyone else had to deal with this?

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I have never had a sex worker or someone who abuses drugs use my place in five years of hosting.en

The best way to minimise the risk of having them it to use verified ID, only guests with photo, don't allow last minute bookings and vet your guests to ensure there is a good fit with your listing.

What sort of vetting questions do you ask of your guests @Andree143 ?

@Andree143  Your linked profile has no listing or guest reviews attached to it, so I can't tell how much experience you have as a host or what kind of listing you have. Some kinds of details do seem to attract a disproportionate share of people seeking to use the home for illicit activities - such newer hosts without security/monitoring features, and Entire Home rentals with exceptionally low rates for the area.

I agree with @Helen3  that vetting is important, and until you have a firm handle on that, I would strongly suggest leaving Instant Book off. You might also consider adjusting your Minimum Stay, if you're finding more problems with one-night guests. 

And of course, the elephant in the room:  in light of the pandemic, are the attractions and amenities that visitors in your area normally enjoy currently up and running? If not, all the more reason to question why someone might need short-term accommodation there.