Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Can't contact my guest

Answered!
Kelland1
Level 3
Bourgogne-Franche-Comté, France

Can't contact my guest

I'm very new to this; my first guests are at present in my second home, some 3 km away.  I had given my phone number to them but forgot to take theirs, neither do I have an email address.  They did not respond when I sent an email  via Airbnbshortly after their arrival. Yesterday I called there and left a letter asking them to either phone or email me regarding their check out tomorrow.  Nothing.

I find it very annoying that they are, in effect, ignoring me.  I decided against going back to bother them again as I need to get a good report from them  but I've no way of knowing if all is well and exactly what time I should be there to get the keys and check the house over.

Any advice anyone?

Thanks, Kelland

Top Answer

@Kelland1 Your listing specifies a checkout time of 11:00 AM. . It sounds like you offered some flexibility on the departure time in your letter to the guests, but if they didn't take you up on the personalized checkout process, it's fine to revert to a default. That would be:

- informing the guests via Airbnb that you will be arriving at 11 AM tomorrow to begin the changeover

- listing any instructions you have for how they are to leave the property, like cleaning or trash removal

- tell them where to deposit keys safely if they need to leave before you arrive

It of course would have been nicer if the guests had responded to your messages, but based on your listing, they may not have expected interaction with the host after check-in to be a part of their experience. You'll probably have more of these in the future, guests who would rather just be left alone and check themselves out when they go. Try to follow their lead on communication when you greet them;  if they seem a bit aloof, it's enough just to let them know you're easy to reach if there are questions or issues.

View Top Answer in original post

4 Replies 4

@Kelland1 Your listing specifies a checkout time of 11:00 AM. . It sounds like you offered some flexibility on the departure time in your letter to the guests, but if they didn't take you up on the personalized checkout process, it's fine to revert to a default. That would be:

- informing the guests via Airbnb that you will be arriving at 11 AM tomorrow to begin the changeover

- listing any instructions you have for how they are to leave the property, like cleaning or trash removal

- tell them where to deposit keys safely if they need to leave before you arrive

It of course would have been nicer if the guests had responded to your messages, but based on your listing, they may not have expected interaction with the host after check-in to be a part of their experience. You'll probably have more of these in the future, guests who would rather just be left alone and check themselves out when they go. Try to follow their lead on communication when you greet them;  if they seem a bit aloof, it's enough just to let them know you're easy to reach if there are questions or issues.

Kelland1
Level 3
Bourgogne-Franche-Comté, France

@Anonymous 

Hello Andrew

Many thanks for your very helpful reply.  That makes a great deal of sense and I shall do as you suggest.  I'll also follow your suggestion regarding future guests.

Best wishes,

Kelland

In the past week, having major issues. I am receiving guest info - to stay but unable to accept them as guest - we are in prime season and had several request to stay but unable to accept them as guest .... my account ( somewhat seemed to have been hacked ) called Airbnb twice and are not helpful to my situation 😞 . does anyone have any help for me - has this happened to you?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kelland1  Your guest's phone number should be visible on your hosting page when you go to your message stream with them- it normally appears under their profile photo and name to the left of the message stream and is visible as soon as a booking is confirmed.

As far as check-out time is concerned, hosts have been reporting here that their check-out time has been changed on their listing from whatever it was to "flexible", so you should check your listing to make sure that hasn't happened.