Cancellation

Denny55
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Cancellation

If I cancel a reservation with a host one time, can they refuse to agree to a future reservation?  I have read that hosts cannot see my cancellation history, though I certainly can.  Under "my trips," first the actual trips completed are listed.  Then the ones cancelled, whether due to the host cancelling or the guest cancelling.  It's not made clear.

The reason I ask is that last summer I did cancel a reservation (before a penalty hit).  I contacted the host about six weeks ago to make an inquiry, but she never responded.

Secondly, I did cancel another reservation last summer (again, before the last stated day without a penalty) as I found something more suitable.  This summer, the latter does not appear to be renting.  In any case, I'm interested in the reservation I cancelled (not the one in the previous paragraph).

I've been on airbnb probably close to ten years and have no issues.  But now I'm wondering about the effect of cancellations on my finding places on airbnb.

18 Replies 18
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hosts can block guests if they have concerns about a guest because of their communications with them or experience of hosting a guest.

If a guest told me they were cancelling because they had found a better deal I wouldn't accept a new booking from them @Denny55 

Debbie210
Level 10
Huntington Beach, CA

It’s definitely hard on us who are hosting, to accept your reservation, block out our rental for those dates to other guests, while you are locked in, then you are looking for better deals. 

with all my years as guest and then host with Airbnb, the only single thing i really learned is don’t cancel if Host isn’t into it. 

As @Debbie210 said, cancellation is very hard on Airbnb host since we don’t have a way to get a replacement booking. 

From a guest point of view, you probably don’t have full knowledge of the listing and your cancellation could always subject you to cancellation charges. 

Don’t cancel and just ask for a refund nicely if you think your price was high. and tell hosts you will be 100% happy.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

Thank you for participating in this thread. I've noticed that recent comments on this thread have derailed from the original concern that was posted and the conversation has gone off-topic; as such we're closing this thread.

For more information please read the Community Center Guidelines

Thanks,

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen