Changes Needed in Cancellation Policy

Answered!
David1668
Level 6
Jacksonville, FL

Changes Needed in Cancellation Policy

Many guests cancel reservations beyond the cancellation date for reasons that don't rise to the standards necessary to receive a refund; perhaps their plans change, they become ill but did not take insurance, or they're unhappy with the property. The current cancellation policy allows no recourse.

I owned a 10-room bed and breakfast for 10 years. When guests had to cancel, I would immediately put the room back into inventory and if it rebooked at the same rate, refund them. The idea of taking money from two guests for the same room made me sick. I just couldn't do it. I think AirBnB should require the same of its hosts.

Also, AirBnB doesn't allow for advance cancellations once the reservation has begun. For example, if a guest arrives for a one-month stay but after arrival their plans change and they have to leave for two weeks, if they cancel immediately, the property is not blocked until their departure but becomes immediately available. This greatly reduces the host's opportunities of re-leasing it.

I'm leaving a property midway through a three-week stay and have an understanding host who will block the property on the calendar for the nights between when I cancel and when I leave, and who will refund me if he rebooks it.

This should be standard practice at AirBnB. There is no reason it shouldn't be.

David

1 Best Answer

I'll join as a plaintiff. I had a terrible property manager/host on a long-term stay, I canceled, and AirBnb and the host both walked away with a lot of money.

View Best Answer in original post

65 Replies 65

Insurance is limited to specific reasons for cancellations.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@David1668,

There are cancel for any reason policies that have been in the marketplace long before there was COVID-19.  A simple Google search returned this Forbes article at the top of the list:  https://www.forbes.com/advisor/travel-insurance/best-cancel-for-any-reason-travel-insurance/.

It really doesn't matter to me why a guest wants to cancel. Perhaps they're  having a mental breakdown or their dog just died. I feel it's my responsibility to try and rebook the room, and refund the guests what I can.

@Debra300 And also a note to get technical.  Please note that I mentioned that I contacted the host and asked what I should do.  They asked me to cancel.  In reality by AirBNB rules hosts are not supposed to ask the guests to cancel.  I tried to use that fact in arguing my case, and the AirBNB support was sympathetic, but I think their hands were tied because the money had already gone out to the host.   Also, if I had just waited 1-2 days to cancel it would have fallen under the newly installed Covid cancellation rules that AirBNB instituted in late March 2020.  I realize technically the host didn't have to refund, but once she asked me to cancel the reservation she also technically wasn't following the AirBNB rules. 

I'm actually very careful to NEVER ask a guest who lets me know that they plan to bring more than 10 guests into our max 10 guest home.  I tell them I would be happy to honor their reservation as 10 people and 10 people only and if they bring more than that they won't be following the rules and subject to losing their deposit and AirBNB immediately cancelling their reservation.  I never tell them to cancel.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Michael5689,

I was about to respond previous post, and then saw your comment about your guest home  I find it quite incredulous that you have been hosting since 2014, and you didn't know what to do regarding a guest requested cancellation.  That's what the Airbnb Help Center site and Customer Service number are for.  Things were not so bad back then that it should have caused a seasoned host to forget how to handle a standard guest cancellation transaction or how to seek qualified help: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1504/responding-to-a-guests-trip-change-request.  By February 29, 2020 there had been 68 confirmed virus cases, and a few deaths in the entire US.   I personally had no problem getting in contact with CS in February and early March 2020.

This is how it appears to me.  You were aware of the cancellation policy of the booking, and instead of contacting Airbnb like you knew you should, you went directly to the host in an attempt to get them to break the contracted cancellation policy.   Now you saying the other host behaved in bad faith, because the information they gave aligns with Airbnb's policy, but didn't give you all of the money you wanted.

@Debra300 please stop putting words into my mouth.  I did not suggest that I was trying to break the contract.  I reached out to the host to enquire what to do. Before the pandemic I don't think I actually had any cancellations either. Boy that has changed! 

I simply asked the host what to do as I wasn't sure what to do They didn't follow the guidelines of referring me to such document and did what they were not supposed to do.  You working very hard to find fault in what I did by not exactly following the letter of the law wiithout being able to consider that the host did not act by the letter of Airbnb's regulations either.  Did I make a mistake in how I handled it yes, but the host's behavior didn't meet the letter of the regulations either.

Also, airlines and I presume major hotels give guests a voucher when they cancel, minus an administrative fee. For those nights, when I couldn't rebook a canceled room, I would offer guests a voucher for a weeknight stay in low or shoulder season when there would always be a vacancy.

It's called hospitality people.

@David1668 “It's called hospitality people”.

All of us here demonstrate, by our stellar hosting records, that we understand hospitality perfectly well. 

Your comments are somewhat rude, a bit combative, and demonstrate that you’re not actually interested in a discussion. It was presumed that you were, as you posted on a public discussion forum, in ‘Help’.  If you actually are not interested in such, then mark an answer as ‘most helpful’ to close it out,  and move on. Send your feedback to Airbnb.

@David1668  Just because you would do something a certain way doesn't mean others are wrong because they might not.

I would also refund dates I could rebook, minus an administration fee. But I wouldn't dictate or judge other hosts for handling it otherwise. 

You also seem to be ignoring the likely fact that you probably got a discount by booking for 3 weeks. If you leave halfway through and expect to be refunded, the host is getting screwed, because they could have rented those 10 days as shorter term bookings for full price.

David1668
Level 6
Jacksonville, FL

And it's just not a question of it being voluntary. If hosts want this option,  there's no way of designating it. It can only be done through a personal workaround, outside the AirBnB platform.

@David1668  That isn't true. You don't understand the process. It doesn't have to be done outside the platform. A host is free to refund guests if they choose, regardless of the cancellation policy, through the "send money" option in the Resolution Center. 

You may have owned a BnB, but you are not informed about hosting options on Airbnb.

Sarah, Nice info and insights.  But I didn't book long enough for a monthly discount. I may have a weekly discount, but I don't recall. But if the host rebooks, the guest well may pay a higher rate.

But even if AirBnB doesn't require it, I think the company should promote refunding cancellations if the property rebooks, by perhaps giving some positive recognition (in placement on searches, for example) to those hosts who agree to such a policy.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Hey everyone, thank you so much for all the feedback on this policy. We'll make sure to pass this on to the team!

I also wanted to share a gentle reminder that we should always try to keep the conversation constructive and respectful. Thank you!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Not sure if this has been mentioned but one problem is that host are put in a position to rent on short notice which is higher risk. So what if they don’t feel comfortable renting to someone with no of band reviews. My primary strategy to attract low risk guest is to make it attractive for guest to book in advance. So would host not be allowed to screen guest if they are required to list and book the room on short notice? I had over 80 calculations in my first year and received $14. I think ABB should offer option of travel insurance. 

Also read a recent article where 25% of people buying tickets for major concerts are “no shows” meaning the buy the tickets but don’t end up going. Pre pandemic it was 3%. In the past two years definitely seeing a trend where some guest just want to block off nights or cancel last minute. So renting longer stays isn’t an option for me. Host are definitely taking the loss for canceled reservations. Kinda sucks when guest request to shorten reservation on shirt notice then shows up in luxury car, wants to return and no review. Host already

havd very limited option and can only resort to increasining rates for everyone to make up for lost revenue as there isn’t a lot left after taxes and fees.